Fast Lane Price Raise?

Jdub2012

"U mad bro" is a phrase, not sure where it started but I assume the Interwebz.

On to your second point, if you don't like it don't go and save the money on the passes. It's perfectly alright for someone to spend their money the way they wish. I bought my express passes at Universal, and you know what I didn't feel bad at all. I even let the commoners waiting in line kiss my feet as I walked by for I was that nice. I am too of an important person to wait in such lines with the filthy common people of the world, I have blue blood after all.

:rolleyes:

Ah, now I can clearly see what life is all about.

^ First of all, she's not a bro. Secondly, I agree - you've got to be rich to ENJOY the day at the park when it's jammed. Just not fair. Money is tight for a lot of people and we get season passes for entertainment use - we can't afford cable/dish so we spend our hard earned money at KI. Why should we have to pay extra for anything? I honestly think the fast pass is a bunch of crap and I wish parks would have never started them!

You don't have to be rich to enjoy a day at the park nor do you have to be rich to afford Fast Lane passes.

There's more to KI than just rides. When I was a kid, the only time my parents could take us was on the weekends. The lines were long, the park was packed and we only rode what us kids demanded while my parents waited in line. My parents loved those days and those were my favorite days I ever spent at the park.

While KI's Fast Lane system is one of low overhead and one of the most "interesting" operations in the industry, it's a tiered experience like any other place.

Last night I went to go watch the Reds play the Diamondbacks. I sat in the outer view level and ate two $1 hot dogs and a $1 bag of peanuts. I spent $12 the entire night and watched a miserable game from the nosebleeds, but I still enjoyed myself. I could've just as easily spent more money to sit behind home plate and snag a diamond seat of stub hub.

Every Friday my boss and I go eat at a cheap chinese buffet while some of our coworkers go out for steaks - we don't resent them for spending their money on that.

Life is what you make of it and even if money were non-existent, objects have value and wealth has value. It's not worth worrying about who has what or who can afford more.

• Like 4

Perhaps it is just me, but this seems to be a classic case of: "since I'm getting blamed for it, I might as well do it," in this discussion.

While it is too bad some only see the negatives in FL, KI should not be blamed for how business is conducted in today's World.

• Like 1

^I think it's just the fact that it's something completely new, not to the industry, but to the park.

You also need to keep in mind the demographic KI attracts compared to a major operation like a Disney or Busch. Generally people vacationing in Florida have a lot more discretionary income than a blue collar Midwestern family spending one day at a Kings Island.

• Like 3

I always feel like riding a coaster with a Fast Lane purchaser is more like going to a Reds game and sitting next to, and eating the same hot dog as, a person who paid an extra $50 to jump to the front of the ticket and concession lines. :) I don't remember where I read this, but my favorite quote about Fast Lane was,"Fast Lane is the parks' way of gouging impatient people."

• Like 1

Oh no, I understand right now. I mean no disrespect but if you don't like it C'est la vie. It must be popular for the prices to be raised. Besides like I said before, I am just TOO important to wait in those normal lines.

The price charged for something does not make it "right"...just look at our health care system.

P.S. You may say that you mean no disrespect, but that is exactly how most of the statements towards windshawne in this topic come off.

• Like 5

^ I believe comparing FL cost to healthcare cost is the definition of apples & oranges. :)

The FL issue is one everyone faces everyday. Who can afford what. It's not geared to the rich, and those who use it are not necessarily rich. Some will justify it, others will turn a blind eye to it, and some will despise it. When it comes to money, there will be hurt feelings (often unintentional), as well as jealousy.

My wife & I work full time, have 2 kids peeking into the teenage years, and work OT to live the lifestyle we want. We do not get FL as we have had season passes to both CP & KI for 13 years now- and we live 6 hours from KI. Even though it is a great distance, it is still not worth it for us as we have been on every ride countless times. Instead of resenting those using FL, I'm happy for them. They are using their money for what they believe is worth it. I am also happy that I have the time to spare to wait longer in line. I have also not noticed a drastic increase in wait time since FL has been implemented.

Now when SFWoA was around, my family purchased the FP because: we were there for 1 day, it only cost $10, and we did not make a visit since SF took over. It made sense to do it.

Like Gordon mentioned: it's new to KI. It tastes bad now, in time most will accept it & shrug their shoulders because- a bad day at the park is still better than a good day at work.

• Like 10

Cedar Fair is being greedy by raising the prices when they could just keep the price at a solid 50 for every park and just sell less. Duh, its a business, but they are giving me the "greedy" impression by raising the price.

It's not greedy. It's your choice to buy it. If it's too expensive you don't have to buy it.

Being greedy would be making you pay $12 for a locker!

So true. But who will be the voice on this board that says "You don't NEED to buy a locker."

When you ride Firehawk....YOU ARE FORCED TO PURCHASE A LOCKER. Not...Oh, we'll stash it over here for you and you can pick it up when you come back to the station...but then again, I was told by the two ride ops at the Firehawn enterance that they are working on boxes for the station. REALLY? It's taken five years for you to figure this out??? I was PI$$ED when I was denied access. I rode everything else in the park without a problem so far this year.

I went from a (don't laugh) a Fanny Pack to a the KI light weight back pack a few weeks ago. I was told that the force that it imposes on you is great in both directions, therefore they feel it's safer NOT to allow you to carry on a bag. I have a picture of the first time I rode this ride in '07 I believe and I was the one stuck holding sunglasses in my hands, cell phones in my pocket and a wallet. Now, i just carry in my gold pass on a laynard with my car key which is attached, my cell phone, my credit card, drivers license and cash sandwiched between them with a girls pony tail holder plus a clean t shirt and that's too much to bring on? I hate having items in my pocket when I ride anymore. I don't want the hassel of adjusting on a ride so my cell doesn't crack in my pocket. I'm not paying their prices to put crap in a locker. It's like a monopoly...you've already paid the price to get in...now you have to pay more to ride a ride? NO WAY JOSE'! What's next? Are you gonna have to pay to redeem your FUN Perks?

Not ranting...but sorta! B)

^ I believe comparing FL cost to healthcare cost is the definition of apples & oranges. :)

Not so much really. Both are businesses, both offer services and both attempt to make as much profit as possible...they each just try to determine what their respective markets can bear. :(

I have also not noticed a drastic increase in wait time since FL has been implemented.

I agree with the info that was above and below this sentence in your post but I just wanted to expound a bit on this item. My experience with Cedar Fair parks this year is that Fast Lane, on an overall basis, isn't dramatically increasing wait times. I haven't seen it heavily used at many of the parks in the chain. I think the issue that's popped up is that most everyone who purchases Fast Lane has the same idea; to use it for access on the most popular rides and view all quick access to all of the other rides as a bonus. I do, however, think that waits in standby lines on the most popular attractions is suffering. I do think the issue is only prevalent on the most popular attractions.

The most popular rides at Cedar Point (MF, TTD, Maverick) often have what I would consider substantial Fast Lane waits (15 minute waits or longer) while the other rides typically have little to no wait for Fast Lane users. Kings Island, Canada's Wonderland and Volcano at Kings Dominion have all had this same issue.

To illustrate this...I was waiting in the Diamondback line a few weeks ago. They were running a Power Hour so the line was moving quickly. To pass the time I thought I would count the number of people who were using Fast Lane during my time in line. My wait time turned out to be right at 15 minutes. In that 15 minute stretch I counted 82 people who ran through the Fast Lane line. 82!! Assuming trains are dispatched at a one train per 90 second clip that would mean that those folks added (82 / 32 * 90) = 230 seconds or almost four minutes to my wait time in that 15 minute stretch, a 25% increase in wait time. A 25% increase in wait time is something I probably won't notice too much if I'm not paying attention, but it is substantial. Put another way, for every four hours I'm waiting in a standby line with 25% Fast Lane usage I'm waiting an hour more than I would have prior to the existence of Fast Lane.

The argument can be made that some of those Fast Lane users would have been in front of you in line anyway. That is true to some degree; however, I think there are two factors that work against that argument:

(1) the effect on standby lines with Fast Lane in place is magnified the busier the park is. Busier days will see more people using Fast Lane which means that Fast Lane users will likely get more rides than those in standby lines are capable of getting under the same time constraints. Standby wait times where there is heavy Fast Lane usage MUST increase as a result.

(2) the long lines themselves that would normally act as a deterrent isn't an issue for those with Fast Lane access. Many people who use Fast Lane are going to ride the most popular rides simply because their line just went from a half hour without Fast Lane to two minutes with it. I would also argue that most Fast Lane users are concentrating their time at the more popular attractions trying to maximize their value out of the quick access. There's a reason why Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Diamondback, Leviathan, etc. are getting the most action from Fast Lane guests because the perceived value of quick access is higher on those rides.

A 25% increase sounds substancial! Until you mention it is only 25% of 15 minutes which is only 3.75 minutes- for the most popular ride in the park.

That said, if your wait for DB was only 15 minutes, and 82 people used FL, it sounds like they were marathoning- which will not happen on every ride that has FL.

Even if they were, your estimate of a 1 hour increase in wait time is skewed. It would have to be the "perfect storm" for it to happen. Each time: you would have to get back in line for the same ride repeatedly, with the same amount of people waiting in front of you, and the same amount of FL pass holders would have to continue to do the same thing. With the amount of attractions KI has, the chances of all those things happening at the same time are, at best, slim.

^That's such a broad definition it could be used for any business.

Healthcare is life and death, Fast Lane is short wait or long wait for an amusement park ride. Come on.

Oh...and a ballpark closer seat scenerio isn't reaching! :P

My point is the cost of BOTH of my comparisons is not based on an actual cost of the items being sold...it is based on what the seller thinks the customer will/can pay. (Do you dispute this?)

Just the engineering behind the equipment used in hospitals is insanely expensive. Now add in the education for all the individuals involved in your care, maintenance of the building, insurance.... the list is endless......

While I do agree the bottom line of any business is to make a profit, I cannot agree healthcare is expensive because it is what we are willing to pay.

That said, if your wait for DB was only 15 minutes, and 82 people used FL, it sounds like they were marathoning- which will not happen on every ride that has FL.

Even if they were, your estimate of a 1 hour increase in wait time is skewed. It would have to be the "perfect storm" for it to happen. Each time: you would have to get back in line for the same ride repeatedly, with the same amount of people waiting in front of you, and the same amount of FL pass holders would have to continue to do the same thing. With the amount of attractions KI has, the chances of all those things happening at the same time are, at best, slim.

Granted, one trip through the Diamondback line isn't enough to warrant a hard, concrete summation of the Fast Lane system. However, the interesting thing is that I only saw one group of two Fast Lane users get in line for a second go. Really though, whether one group of four marathons the ride ten straight times in an hour or whether forty Fast Lane users get in line one time each in an hour doesn't really matter. It's all about how many Fast Lane rides (not riders) are being taken in relation to the standby rides being taken.

An easy way to illustrate what I'm trying to get at is to take a look at two days on opposite ends of the spectrum.

On a day where every ride is a walk-on then those with Fast Lane access are riding, relatively speaking to the folks in the standby lines, the exact same amount of times. There's no difference in the number of rides that those with Fast Lane users are capable of and the number of rides those in standby lines are capable of because everyone is waiting the same amount of time. The split could be 50/50 Fast Lane riders to standby riders or even 75/25, but it doesn't matter because there's no wait and everyone can ride the same amount. In this instance, relatively speaking there's no Fast Lane effect on the standby line.

A busy day will yield different results. I've said from the beginning that the more rides that Fast Lane users are getting in relation to the standby line riders the longer the standby queues will be on an absolute basis. If I could realistically get 50 rides in using the standby lines and a Fast Lane user could realistically get 60 then I don't care that much. If on a busy Saturday I could only get 10 rides where a Fast Lane user could realistically get 40 then you have the potential for significantly longer standby queues. This scenario is the exact reason why Cedar Fair parks try as best they can to limit the number of Fast Lane users on each train to around 25% each time if they can help it to prevent standby lines from coming to a crawl.

The most annoying thing I've found to happen from Fast Pass, beyond the added wait time on already busy rides, is the Red Racer being ran entirely for Fast Pass and no one else. We were there for a short time over the weekend, and I had read on here that the Red Racer was running great this year, much better than the Blue. When I went to go ride it, I was told I could not because I did not have a Fast Pass. The Blue Racer line was out the gate up to the convenience store, while the Red train was sending maybe half full trains out each time.

So now, Fast Pass entitles you to a ride that the rest of the park cannot access, apparently! I felt that was very ridiculous, and voiced my disagreement as such at Guest Relations. An entire coaster now, just for Fast Pass? No thanks.

Consider this next time you're waiting 25% longer in line: Those people buying Fast Lane passes are getting you 25% closer to waiting 25% longer in a line to ride a brand new, double super happenig flat ride or coaster.

• Like 2

Consider this next time you're waiting 25% longer in line: Those people buying Fast Lane passes are getting you 25% closer to waiting 25% longer in a line to ride a brand new, double super happenig flat ride or coaster.

You ought to run for President!

• Like 3

The most annoying thing I've found to happen from Fast Pass, beyond the added wait time on already busy rides, is the Red Racer being ran entirely for Fast Pass and no one else. We were there for a short time over the weekend, and I had read on here that the Red Racer was running great this year, much better than the Blue. When I went to go ride it, I was told I could not because I did not have a Fast Pass. The Blue Racer line was out the gate up to the convenience store, while the Red train was sending maybe half full trains out each time.

So now, Fast Pass entitles you to a ride that the rest of the park cannot access, apparently! I felt that was very ridiculous, and voiced my disagreement as such at Guest Relations. An entire coaster now, just for Fast Pass? No thanks.

I highly doubt there are enough "Fast Lane" (that is the name after all not "Fast Pass") per hour to justify filling a entire side of Red Racer.

• Like 2

s=

When both sides of The Racer are operating, both sides are open to the public 99.5% of the time. The former Red Racer line is now no longer in use, but you can still ride either side. I doubt the park would close a side of Racer only for the use of Fast Lane* customers.

s=

When both sides of The Racer are operating, both sides are open to the public 99.5% of the time. The former Red Racer line is now no longer in use, but you can still ride either side. I doubt the park would close a side of Racer only for the use of Fast Lane* customers.

Well, you are wrong. On Saturday, they were running te Red Racer for only Fast Lane customers. I was told I could not ride it because I did not have a Fast Lane bracelet. I don't know what to tell you. Were you there on Saturday? Because I was, and they were running the Red Racer for only Fast Lane customers.

You ought to run for President!

Can't...I'd only be willing to release 25% of my tax returns. :D

• Like 3

Well, you are wrong. On Saturday, they were running te Red Racer for only Fast Lane customers. I was told I could not ride it because I did not have a Fast Lane bracelet. I don't know what to tell you. Were you there on Saturday? Because I was, and they were running the Red Racer for only Fast Lane customers.

I highly doubt that it was run that way the entire day, but surely someone from these forums was at the park on Saturday and could back you up or say otherwise.