Halloween Haunt 2012

BB1

Well the end of the summer season is drawing in, leading to the off season....and Halloween Haunt. So when do you believe the new HH 2012 attractions will be announced? Have you noticed anything? What do you expect? When do you believe we will get easter eggs about the new box of FUN attraction? Do you believe we will see a come back of an old attraction(s)? May we loose an attraction? Will we gain more?

• Like 1

I'm inexplicably more excited for this year's Haunt than in past years. The things I'm absolutely dying to see make a return for Haunt 2012 are the Cemetery Drive props/actors on International Street, Holiday Horror/Nightmare Alley, and Slaughterhouse. (Maybe Wolf Pack, too, if it can manage to retain the awesomeness it had towards the beginning of Haunt 2011.) The rest I'm hopeful will return, but I'm also excited about the prospect of them changing and being updated. And, of course, there's the new Haunt coming to the Crypt building... I'm stoked.

• Like 1

I wonder if haunt will contuine after this year? Could it change to just winter fest? New CEO + worked for Disney= anti scary?

Don't think so, haunt is to popular. Secondly, CF's CEO knows this is not Disney. Can't replicate Disney outside of Disney, the CEO knows this! Heck, even HW has talked about having a fall event. They realize there is money to be made!

• Like 2

They may have at least 1 new one added if they use the old Tomb Raider building as a haunt. But we won't know till they tell us.

They did tell us, though. Granted, they didn't explicitly say "it will be used for Haunt 2012," but they said it will "be used as an exciting new Haunt attraction for seasons to come," or something to that effect.

• Like 1

I had heard rumors last Haunt that Trail of Terror could be coming back in a new location this season; last year it didn't come back because of Dinosaurs Alive! being put in its (general) spot. Other than that, I got nothing.

What we do know is that The Crypt is being used for Haunt this year. Now whether or not it'll be themed similarly to the previous tenant or every square inch has been gutted, or even if it's a one-shot if the building is removed after this season or stays for several seasons, is completely up in the air.

Potential themes to ponder about for new attractions:

• Zombies - Zombies are big-ticket items this year. Walking Dead returns this October, and Universal just announced haunted houses based off the show for Halloween Horror Nights. The closest Kings Island has to zombies are the infected folks that lie inside Urgent Scare. All it would take would be a simple change of wording and BAM, zombies.
  • Curse of The Crypt(?) - Those that have attended Haunt since its FearFest inception in 2000 should remember an oldie called Curse of the Crypt, a mash-up of vampires, werewolves, and mummies in an ancient tomb. The interiors of The Crypt ride were extremely detailed (more so than even the likes of Urgent Scare or Wolf Pack) and ripe with darkened corridors and an already dismal environment. It would be a crime not to use what's already there; the only issue is if they would be able to carry the same attention to detail to the rest of the attraction.

• Like 1

What if they use the DA! path and made a hunated trail again and zombies chase after you? I feel KI should cut down on houses and have more workers in each one and more highly detailed. I think 8 houses would do fine and 1-2 trails or completely differnt do a 2-3 mile trail and only have 5 houses and everything highly detailed and KI get the rights from Resident Evil to make that huge trail into an extreme themed zombie trail ( the trail can be back in the woods back by SOB or Action theater). Zombie movies/shows/games are all the rage right now and I can't wait for The Walking Dead season 2 to come out on Netflix!

I had heard rumors last Haunt that Trail of Terror could be coming back in a new location this season; last year it didn't come back because of Dinosaurs Alive! being put in its (general) spot. Other than that, I got nothing.

What we do know is that The Crypt is being used for Haunt this year. Now whether or not it'll be themed similarly to the previous tenant or every square inch has been gutted, or even if it's a one-shot if the building is removed after this season or stays for several seasons, is completely up in the air.

Potential themes to ponder about for new attractions:

• Zombies - Zombies are big-ticket items this year. Walking Dead returns this October, and Universal just announced haunted houses based off the show for Halloween Horror Nights. The closest Kings Island has to zombies are the infected folks that lie inside Urgent Scare. All it would take would be a simple change of wording and BAM, zombies.
  • Curse of The Crypt(?) - Those that have attended Haunt since its FearFest inception in 2000 should remember an oldie called Curse of the Crypt, a mash-up of vampires, werewolves, and mummies in an ancient tomb. The interiors of The Crypt ride were extremely detailed (more so than even the likes of Urgent Scare or Wolf Pack) and ripe with darkened corridors and an already dismal environment. It would be a crime not to use what's already there; the only issue is if they would be able to carry the same attention to detail to the rest of the attraction.

For the ToT, there is still halloween drapes near the DA! So that could be possible, also there is still space behind the Firehawk for a new ToT trail to be made, and built. The Crypt, if you look at the Crypt sign under the black tarp, its still there, the Crypt idea that we saw in the more earlier fear fest, could be resurfacing to our modern day Haunt.

question would if they made where the crypt used to be and turned it into haunted house open all season long i know this would eventually get boring but i always have wanted them to have haunt longer than they do, maybe add on two weeks or more.

question would if they made where the crypt used to be and turned it into haunted house open all season long i know this would eventually get boring but i always have wanted them to have haunt longer than they do, maybe add on two weeks or more.

When? Earlier? Later?

• Like 1

Some cases, having a "year-round" haunted house isn't such a good idea, especially if it's in a park that has a haunted event in the fall. Case in point, Universal's House of Horrors @ Uni Hollywood. Pre- and post-Horror Nights, it's a decent attraction with a few actors and permanent set pieces based off several big horror flicks. During Horror Nights, it's an abysmal attraction with a few more actors and hastily put-together set pieces draped over permanent set pieces based off several big horror flicks. Unless the theme of the year-round haunt changes drastically by the time the actual Haunt rolls around, it will stick out horribly amongst the other mazes.

I would love for something similar to The Crypt making a return. They can keep the queue and use it as the actual queue, and use just the former ride chamber for the Haunt attraction. Also, why not blare the "Dream is Collapsing" score that used to play during the ride? Or maybe "Mombasa" by the same composer (Hans Zimmer-- Also made for Inception, the movie the queue, loading, and ride music belongs to).

The attraction would be called "Curse of the Crypt". They can use the existing lights, soundtracks, doors, et cetera. However: There's some things I would do if I was in charge:

In the queue, I would play "We Built Our Own World" (the same music from The Crypt's queue). Everything would stay the same, except outside. I would relight the blue lights that shone out of the ground to serve as uplighting to the cave entrance, and try and trim back the brush enough to relight the flames (if that's not possible due to Diamondback's close proximity, then so be it). I would also change some red light filters to greens and blues (but only some--there would be red, blue, and green lights in the queue). Leave the former monkey room the same (skeletons climbing out, red and blue accents), but also add a strobe light here and there.

On to a somewhat major change: In between the monkey room and preshow room, I would set up a manually operated swinging door with walls built up around it (similar to the preshow -> ride chamber doors we saw last season) and have the preshow video area set up the same way it was in 2011. Add the strobe lights on the dog demons like there were earlier, and switch the soundtrack from the queue (We Built Our Own World) to the loading music (Radical Notion). This area will be used as a staging area and the lines to be used in the attraction will be in a conga line formation, therefore you can keep the rows from the defunct gondola.

----

The Haunt

For the Haunt attraction, I would play the song "Mombasa" or "Dream is Collapsing" (the former ride music) and put it on a loop, so the Haunt will have a soundtrack. We also already own the rights to the three Inception pieces, so it would make sense to use Dream is Collapsing during the experience. Anyways, you would have an ADA approved ramp ( ;) ) take you down to the floor of the building. The whole Haunt would take place there.

If it were me, I would have the mini bridges raised during the ride cycle and lowered for loading/unloading still intact with power supplied to them. I always thought they made a pretty cool sound when the raised up. These could raise at some point during the Haunt (I know, they serve no purpose).

Durga would be lit up with the water light that was behind The Bat demon last season and a couple other red and blue lights. I always thought that was cool the way they [somewhat] synched up the ride, music, and lights together. I'd also remove the black paint from the goddess' eyes and light them up red or green.

The ride would be themed to an Egyptian tomb. There would be many archways and sandstone blocks everywhere, and many scare actors would be dressed up as mummies and decaying pharaos. The story line could be that you were caught by the goddess [insert name here] and are trying to escape her pyramid without losing your lives. Red lights would be pointed towards the lava pits that would be filled with water to make it look like blood, then you realize that it is the blood pit, where your blood goes if you are caught and killed.

----

Do I think that will happen? Heck no. Would I die if that happened? YES!

I think that if done right, this new Haunt in the building could turn out spectacular. Likewise, if done poorly, it'll be as bad as Tombstone Terrortory (or worse).

• Like 1

When? Earlier? Later?

later in november maybe cause they need time to set up so it cant be earlier

Some cases, having a "year-round" haunted house isn't such a good idea, especially if it's in a park that has a haunted event in the fall. Case in point, Universal's House of Horrors @ Uni Hollywood. Pre- and post-Horror Nights, it's a decent attraction with a few actors and permanent set pieces based off several big horror flicks. During Horror Nights, it's an abysmal attraction with a few more actors and hastily put-together set pieces draped over permanent set pieces based off several big horror flicks. Unless the theme of the year-round haunt changes drastically by the time the actual Haunt rolls around, it will stick out horribly amongst the other mazes.

well yeah i see what you mean but we could go thru that all summer and then when haunt came around it would lose attraction but when it ends people would come right back to it. Just to put this out there while im thinking of it what ever that one mansion maze is, it needs to be revamp the only reason why i go thru it, is because me and my wife pretend its our daughters house and we just start laughing thru it all the way.

2012 Haunt Rehire Event...

It’s time to scare up the creatures of the night!

The Haunt is returning to Kings Island, and we think you should too! Now hiring for the following positions: Zombies, Howling Werewolves, Blood Thirsty Vampires, Undead Cowboys, Mummies, Demented Clowns, Pirates, the Living Dead AND MORE!

Rehire Auditions Saturday, July 28 and Sunday, July 29 11:30am-4:00pm

New Hire and Rehire Dates Fridays 4pm-7:30pm & Saturdays and Sundays 11:30am-4pm August 3 rd - September 9 th . Monday August 6 th and 13 th from 11:00 am-4pm At the Kings Island Human Resources Office

Apply online at jobs.cedarfair.com. Enter the application site as a New User, then click yes when asked if you have ever worked for Cedar Fair Park. After applying online, attend one of the audition dates listed above. All auditions are held at the Human Resources Office.

For more information, visit our website, www.visitkingsisland.com/jobs or http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/things-to-do/special-events/Hiring-For-Halloween-Haunt-2012-Scream-Team

• Like 1

[Curse of The Crypt(?) - Those that have attended Haunt since its FearFests. inception in 2000 should remember an oldie called Curse of the Crypt, a mash-up of vampires, werewolves, and mummies in an ancient tomb. The interiors of The Crypt ride were extremely detailed (more so than even the likes of Urgent Scare or Wolf Pack) and ripe with darkened corridors and an already dismal environment. It would be a crime not to use what's already there; the only issue is if they would be able to carry the same attention to detail to the rest of the attraction.

I herd that they were turning the crypt into a haunted house.

I herd that they were turning the crypt into a haunted house.

They are. I was just digging up the question of whether or not the attraction will use the theming that's already there (hence utilizing the name Curse of the Crypt), or if every square inch of the attraction has been gutted and new theming is put in place for said haunt.

I thought since many were posting ideas about haunts at KI, I have one that I thought of about 3 years ago (before the SC idea.) for a Tiki/Paradise gone bad idea, like a tiki party gone wrong with tikis coming to life and hawaiian spirits returning from the dead looking to scare the tiki party.

In the "walkabout" (the walkway connecting SC and KI), I thought a haunt would look great in the walk area, and the waterpark. Cause Way- Sectioned off in 2 walk areas (in/out) with Tiki statues, and people dressed in tiki costumes to jump out at you, also tiki torches lit around with "palm trees". Waterpark- You walk through the sandals shop, through a "tiki bar" with zombies lunging at you behind every corner. Soon you walk out into more of an open space, with barrels, tiki huts, to walk by and in, spirits and zombies in all places that you wouldnt expect. You walk by the "waterfountain" with hanging corpses in tropical clothing, some twitching. Walking in a close corridor of a pirate ship wreck, you traverse in semi dark areas, with the dead crew in every cabin you meet. After you start to enter a "volcano" where you go through caverns, and lava pits. Cause Way-Same as the way entering, but at the end there is a voodoo witch doctor that scares you off.

Now there was another idea, but the idea is now void due to BB leaving. (Australian spirits and ghosts of the outback, with shacks, caves, and the outback!)