Attendance

SonofBaconator

I know last years Haunt was super packed 2 saturdays in a row because it was nice and wasn't too hot or cold. Rather or not the other saturdays saw the same is hard to tell. We had to park in the grass lot by Western Row Road on both saturdays when the park was packed.

Trust me when I say the park has been very busy on Saturdays during the summer months. it is the prime day of the week for people on their vacations while visiting the park. The days have been hot and sunny and people come out on these kind of days, except for locals that come during the weekday. In my belief, lots of family type rides attract more crowds than a few high thrill rides. People that love the thrill rides sometimes complain that WindSeeker is too boring for them but I will venture that more people ride it and rides like it than a high thrill ride. Not everyone can ride extreme thrill rides (like me) due to health issues but can enjoy a ride like WindSeeker without injuring themselves due to spinal or other health issues.

Two weeks ago on Saturday, 7/7 when we had a record high temperature, I was at Soak City and the park was packed-when I left at about 2:30 pm I did not see the parking area by the main part of the park very full like a typical Saturday-so, indeed, I think the heat has cut down on the typical crowds at least in the main part of the park. Today, when the humidity was very low, the park was packed.

On Facebook, I've seen a comment that the parking lots were almost full today, with >42,000 people in the park. Seems like a big day as I remember being at a super crowded day a couple of years back that was estimated by some to be 35,000.

Wait until October :)

But seriously, it may be because of the heat recent heat wave/drought. I don't go on Saturdays because I don't want to deal with crowds, but I know several people who didn't want to go because it was so hot out. There are plenty of potential reasons, this may be one?

I think the park took a hit in attendance during the heat wave. There's just not enough shade, fans, or indoor facilities to truly enjoy a full day at the park.

I think the park took a hit in attendance during the heat wave. There's just not enough shade, fans, or indoor facilities to truly enjoy a full day at the park.

Two weeks ago on Saturday, 7/7 when we had a record high temperature, I was at Soak City and the park was packed-when I left at about 2:30 pm I did not see the parking area by the main part of the park very full like a typical Saturday-so, indeed, I think the heat has cut down on the typical crowds at least in the main part of the park. Today, when the humidity was very low, the park was packed.

We went to ki on 4th of july weekend. It was so hot it was depressing. Of coarse we went to SC first. But The lines we REALLY bad. Plus, they heated the water in the wave pool. The only ride that was fu n was the lazy river (I know that isnt the name). It was ice cold.

So we went to the dry park because we saw nobody in the parking lot over there. Once we got in.... it was so humid (we had to bring a sweat towel it was that bad with the humididty). But, we hit every ride in less than 5 min... exept white water canyon. There was a 3 hour wait for that. We got in line but left. We went over to Planet Snoopy and did their snoopy splash dance and we got soaked. Way more than WWC. We rode The Beast afterwards and it was cold! Great day all in all.

I am pretty sure they do not and cannot heat the wave pool water. It was probably warm, uh well, cuz it was hot outside.

Each time I've been in the waterpark this year, the new wave pool has seemed (at least to me) to be noticeably warmer compared to Coconut Cove or Splash River. That's a sign of the water being heated. If it was just because it was hot outside, the water in all of the attractions would be warm.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure they do not and cannot heat the wave pool water. It was probably warm, uh well, cuz it was hot outside.

Each time I've been in the waterpark this year, the new wave pool has seemed (at least to me) to be noticeably warmer compared to Coconut Cove or Splash River. That's a sign of the water being heated. If it was just because it was hot outside, the water in all of the attractions would be warm.

Agree - at the old wave pool the water coming out of the bottom outlets was noticeably warmer than the pool many times, no reason the new pool couldn't have the same system. Would not surprise me at all if the pool itself was used to cool the wave-making machinery. That would account for the 'heating' and explain why it's not 'turned off' when it's dreadfully hot outside.

• Like 1

That is the one bummer about HW, from mid June through the first two weeks of August the park (esp. Splashin' Safari) is often too crowded to enjoy, IMO.

As far as KI goes, I have only been twice this year so far but both were weekdays and both seemed significantly more crowded to me similar days last year.

I can't remember the extension anymore, but if you can get someone to tell you what it is, you can call the switchboard and ring the extension to the "alpha" mailbox. They update the "Alpha"(attendance) figures hourly. They track the alpha gross, which is the total number of people entering the park, and the alpha net, which is the amount of people currently in the park. Also if you live near Kings Island they broadcast it over their radio system shortly after the top of the hour. It's in the same format, they send out several paging tones follow by "Stand by for the alpha"

I can't remember the extension anymore, but if you can get someone to tell you what it is, you can call the switchboard and ring the extension to the "alpha" mailbox. They update the "Alpha"(attendance) figures hourly. They track the alpha gross, which is the total number of people entering the park, and the alpha net, which is the amount of people currently in the park. Also if you live near Kings Island they broadcast it over their radio system shortly after the top of the hour. It's in the same format, they send out several paging tones follow by "Stand by for the alpha"

These figures are not given out to the general public but if you ask, it will be something like heavy crowds, large, small, ect. If you are a regular park goer, you can gage how large the crowds are by past experiences, number of cars in the parking lot, weekday, or weekend crowds. This is the answer you will receive if you call and not the actual numbers.

That is the one bummer about HW, from mid June through the first two weeks of August the park (esp. Splashin' Safari) is often too crowded to enjoy, IMO.

It was beyond crowded, you could barely even walk. HW is too small for the crowd they packed inside yesterday. It was insanity.

• Like 1

Agree - at the old wave pool the water coming out of the bottom outlets was noticeably warmer than the pool many times, no reason the new pool couldn't have the same system. Would not surprise me at all if the pool itself was used to cool the wave-making machinery. That would account for the 'heating' and explain why it's not 'turned off' when it's dreadfully hot outside.

well I have seen the new wave pool and I noticed there are more kids in that particular pool with their families. Maybe they have a "natural" heater
  • Like 2

These figures are not given out to the general public but if you ask, it will be something like heavy crowds, large, small, ect. If you are a regular park goer, you can gage how large the crowds are by past experiences, number of cars in the parking lot, weekday, or weekend crowds. This is the answer you will receive if you call and not the actual numbers.

I was just saying if you can find out what extension they are using for the alpha mailbox, then you can call yourself, they have a digital switchboard, you just call the #, it will say if you know your party's extension dial it now, it seems like it was something similar to 3497, and listen to the information yourself, or if your within radio range of the park, and know how to operate a scanner they broadcast it hourly on the ride operations, resale and public safety frequencies. I'll have to check, but there may even be a online scanner that streams KI radio traffic. If there is just check it around the top of the hour and you'll hear the official numbers.

I think you missed his point that the park doesn't want that info made available to the GP. Sure it may be possible, but FUN doesn't report individual park attendance, so they likely consider the info privileged.

I feel bad for whoever is ext - 3497

And getting that information by stealthy means when the company doesn't even release it to investors could be considered hacking or even insider trading....

I think that may be a little extreme, especially if you are listening to the information through a scanner. It is perfectly legal to own, operate, and listen to a scanner. If the park doesn't want people listening to their radio transmissions, they can always encrypt them.
  • Like 1

I remember a while ago, I think it was my 14 or 13th birthday I went to KI with two of my friends, it had been raining and it was cold. We ran into the wavepool and it was quite warm and felt lovely. I think the pool may in fact be heated.

I knew it! Well, at least some people agree.