Coming in 2013: The Beach at Adventure Landing

Yep. Still, money must be expended, so I'll be curious to see what kind of investments the new owners plan to make, but a rising tide lifts all ships!

Looking more into this, I'm actually quite a bit skeptical. Maybe it's not totally comparable to the Bluegrass Boardwalk situation, but some recent posts have made me see why you made that comparison.

Maybe I missed something, but where did management state they would add four water slides and a new wave pool? That seems awfully lofty of an investment for a company on contract to operate for one year with an option to buy. Not to mention, with negotiating this deal where would they have found the time to draw up plans for this expansion?

Anyone remember when Bluegrass Boardwalk kept dropping hints of opening the entire park and then their "experts" came in and "evaluated" and things were scaled way back?

Not saying these new folks would scale back or face the same exact challenges, but that's pretty lofty goal to start preaching.

Here's to hoping it all works out though, The Beach can really attract a demographic KI misses out on and can do just fine right next door.

Also, did anyone else notice the "new" manager is also the "former" manager?

\

Actaully Ralph used to be head of Security/Park Spokesperson. Pam Strickfaden is the VP and GM. Unless things changed before they closed.

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, a kingdom near Louisville remains under lock and key by a quite nasty Fair Board for the past several. We would have had bluegrass playing amidst its boardwalks, but alas, the only sound the board wants is that of bills flapping near their ears.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Got an email today with new details, and there's more on the official website. Key points:

• May 18 and 19, 2013 will be opening weekend, with daily operation beginning May 25, and closing day will be September 7.
  • The new owners are "adding so many new attractions and will be spending just over $5 million on renovations". That wording leaves it ambiguous as to whether the new attractions are included in the $5 million or not.
  • 2013 season passes on sale now for "lowest prices of the season": basic pass (admission only) $49.99 (regular $69.99); Adventure Season Pass (admission and parking) $64.99 (regular $99.98).
  • Package deals combining 2 or 4 passes with weekday bring-a-friend passes and cabana rentals are also available for up to nearly 50% off.
  • 2012 season passes will be honored for admission throughout the 2013 season.

What's your opinion on this?

• Like 2

I think the new operators still have a lot of work to do. There is still a lot of bad publicity associated with the way that the Beach closed and did not open this season. And they are in a tough market to compete considering Kings Island is right across the street. I wish them the best and hope they are successful. I have only been to The Beach once, and that one visit was on a comp ticket that my relatives had given me.

Well, the whole "bright" slide paint idea seems to be catching wind, I dont really like it. Alas im just glad crowds will be smaller this year at the 'Bay, or as some say the 'City, maybe the "buzz" that the new waterpark had last year will go away?

Driving past it every day, they've been putting in a good amount of work in at least the visable areas along 71. Some sort of rock features along the slides and in the wave pool along 71, plus a good amount of paint. I haven't been to the Beach in a good 15-20 years, so theres probably a lot of improvements I'm missing, but it looks like they are making a serious run of it. Hope if works out for them.

• Like 1

AZTEC ADVENTURE

Still the only water coaster in the Midwest, delivering 500 pulse-pounding feet of thrilling twists, unexpected turns, and a breath-catching final plunge through the mouth of a giant jaguar into a splash pool guarded by giant cobras.

Wait, what?

I think "water coaster" by the terms of that particular ride's manufacturer. They used to bill it as one back when it opened.

I'm not up on my waterpark terminology, but I believe that ride uses the jets to push you up hills much like the more modern ones. Can anyone confirm?

Well, the whole "bright" slide paint idea seems to be catching wind, I dont really like it. Alas im just glad crowds will be smaller this year at the 'Bay, or as some say the 'City, maybe the "buzz" that the new waterpark had last year will go away?

The "bright" idea is a strong representation that the place has been improved. It can even be seen from the highway, this kind of perception is key to The Beach. Also, I doubt it'll effect Soak City crowds, the two parks are vastly different and cater to different demographics.

AZTEC ADVENTURE

Still the only water coaster in the Midwest, delivering 500 pulse-pounding feet of thrilling twists, unexpected turns, and a breath-catching final plunge through the mouth of a giant jaguar into a splash pool guarded by giant cobras.

Wait, what?

I think "water coaster" by the terms of that particular ride's manufacturer. They used to bill it as one back when it opened.

I'm not up on my waterpark terminology, but I believe that ride uses the jets to push you up hills much like the more modern ones. Can anyone confirm?

There are more than one water coaster in the Midwest (the one at GWL and the one at Castaway Bay come to mind). I don't know where the writers got confused--perhaps it was the first?