Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Yes! Thanks for this info Don! This is a great day for Kings Island and for KIC (Although it will be missed it will be a great area for a great addition)! (Now just what are we going to do with the SOB topics?)

• Like 1

And so it begins...

EDIT: You know when I first read the title, I thought...Oh No, here we go again another horrible rumor...but you know I'm going to trust this source ;)

I think it's safe to say that we ALL can trust this source. Can we have a party at the park on the day the ride starts to come down? :D

• Like 2

I am still amazed - haha. I can't get over it! Imagine the skyline of Kings Island now without the humungous wooden structure! Imagine what can be in its place! JDFJKNGJGNKERGANKF! That's right, I said it! JDFJKNGJGNKERGANKF!

Sorry, I'm excited.

• Like 6

And so it begins...

EDIT: You know when I first read the title, I thought...Oh No, here we go again another horrible rumor...but you know I'm going to trust this source ;)

I think it's safe to say that we ALL can trust this source. Can we have a party at the park on the day the ride starts to come down? :D

Yes, infact I already am......

• Like 2

Well, can't say I'm shocked by this...the ride has been SBNO for over 3 years now, and it's clear there is no sure-fire or "easy" fix for it. I think Kinzel said last year at Coastermania that it would cost $20,000,000 to give it the "Rocky Mountain" Iron Horse treatment, and that's just too much for a ride with the reputation Son of Beast has...

Now, the question: what will rise where Son of Beast once stood? As massive as that coaster was (still is...for at least a little while longer, anyhow, until demolition begins...) it's removal will free up space for just about...well, ANYTHING. B&M or Intamin Gigacoaster? Invert? Wing Rider? New Wooden Coaster (I'm wanting a 200+ foot Intamin Plug N' Play...)...hmm...

And, for the first time since 1979, Kings Island is home to only ONE "Beast" (the addition of "The Beastie" in 1980 made 2, and when SOB opened in 2000 it made 3, then Beastie got a name change in 2006, etc etc...)...and, perhaps that's how it should stay.

Nonetheless, Son of Beast will probably go down in history as an ambitious coaster that just fell victim to poor planning & construction. While I never got the chance to ride it (for better or worse), I will still be able to tell my children (and possibly grandchildren) about the ride that first tried to take wood over 200' as well as the first in over 100 years to feature a loop. This coaster will probably become the stuff of legend...only, since SOB existed in the 2000s and not the 1930's we have numerous high-quality photos, POVs, and other stuff featuring the ride. Will we ever see another woodie try to beat the 200' barrier again? Only time will tell...

RIP: Son of Beast (2000-2009)

dsc_0394_205.jpg

(Felt this post could use a SOB pic...)

• Like 10

Can someone take a picture of Action Zone and photoshop Son of Beast out of the picture? I want to be prepared for next year! On a side note, anyone else noticing how paramount's mark on Kings Island is growing smaller and smaller?

Paging Dr. Thrillbiscit, paging Dr. Thrillbiscit you're needed in Photoshop. Paging Dr. Thrillbiscit...

• Like 10