Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I cant see the ride still standing on opening day 2013.

I just meant if it part of it was standing in 2013. Nobody knows how long or how short of a time period it will take to remove Son of Beast except park management.

Actually, it's possible park management won't even know. I'm sure they have a projected schedule, but things like weather can throw off schedules for construction/demolition.

Seems like the old posts of people walking around saying, "That announcement won't be made for a few months," may have had weight to it.

I am happy that a decision was made, it will free a lot of land and will hopefully lead to an Action Zone revamp/expansion.

... that was me. I believe my family was in that end of the park when I saw a group of people "not dressed like park patrons", if you know what I mean. They were over by the race cars looking at SOB and making hand gestures. Wanted to hear what they were talking about, but not trying to be obvious. I didn't move, but on their way back (and they weren't being quiet or secretive about it)- one of them said, "well, we have a few months before that announcement is made."

Someone mentioned above that they thought it would be a few years before something is in there. My guess is that they have known this outcome for some time, and were keeping it up until they had a plan ready for the area. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the area will be an ongoing project for the park in a new area with a first phase opening of 2014.

• Like 2

I just meant if it part of it was standing in 2013. Nobody knows how long or how short of a time period it will take to remove Son of Beast except park management.

Money will control most of that. I am guessing it is at least 1 million if not more, to have the ride taken down. Thats a chunk to eat for something to be removed. Things always come down faster than when they are built. I am guessing before Christmas it will be gone. Hope someone has a good idea for all that lumber. Huge cost just sitting there. Here's hoping to them using most of it for a new wood coaster that works right!

Money will control most of that. I am guessing it is at least 1 million if not more, to have the ride taken down. Thats a chunk to eat for something to be removed. Things always come down faster than when they are built. I am guessing before Christmas it will be gone. Hope someone has a good idea for all that lumber. Huge cost just sitting there. Here's hoping to them using most of it for a new wood coaster that works right!

some gasoline and a set of matches and I'll have it down in hours. and will do it for a fraction of a million. Say, $100k. Of course it may bring some other things down with it.

• Like 3

I would think the lumber is useless at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if its rotten after the two wet summers we just finished, the extreme heat and dryness of this summer, and no upkeep. The only return they may get on any of it is the trains which are still sitting near the rose bowl, in the elements. Scrap metal.

How so? It was RCCA, A for America.

Wrong. A different legal entity was set up to build the ride. Legally, RCCA had no connection with the ride.

RCCA stood fir Roller Coaster CORPORATION of America, too. Not company.

The article says Roller Coaster Company of Ohio. I actually didn't know that they had to set up a new company to build the ride. Was it Paramount who did that?

Also, did Paramount market it as built by RCCA, RCCO, or an in-house develoopment?

I've got a way for them to save some money. Instead of paying people to tear the thing down and then paying more people to haul everything away, get enthusiasts to volunteer to dismantle it in return for being able to take the pieces they remove home as souvenirs. They would only need to hire a few supervisors to ensure everything is done safely.

• Like 7

I wonder if Kings Island will at least keep the station from Son of Beast? That way whatever the next roller coaster is can have a piece of history of what was once there. I hope Kings Island is in discussion with Gravity Group or Intamin to build another wooden roller coaster. I would mostly lean towards Gravity Group since they built Voyage. Plus, I like the idea of parks going this route because it means less trees get cut down. :)

Although I am very sad to see Son of Beast go, I am glad that it is at least being torn down instead of sitting there and rotting for another 10 years. Now we at least have hope of a new area or a couple new rides being added back there in the future

• Like 3

Yeah, I never really realized how long I expected it to just stand there until they announced this. I'm so glad they finally made an announcement. Maybe not every freaking topic on here will include Son of Beast now.

At least preliminarily, the only thing I feel like I'm going to miss is the novelty of the world's only wooden hypercoaster and the Paramount connotations the ride had in my head. My spine and brain remember the jackhammering too well for any other positive emotion towards the ride to surface. Good riddance.

• Like 2