Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Phantom theater, Back to Future ride, Tomb Raider, Nick area at KI, JAWS!, and now Son of Beast. Many of my favorite things changed or gone. SOB was my favorite ride and was tied with Harry Potter and Forbiden Joureny. This summer has been the worst for me hands down, and not for just the reasons above.

I ask one thing KI, I would love to have a peice of the wood or better yet one of the many signs the ride had. I see many happy to see the ride gone on the forums, many sad on FaceBook. I wish I could take one last ride on the Son of Beast. This ride truely was a Beast, it broke records, only looping, fastest, tallest wooden coaster in the world! Some people say this was Parmounts biggest mistake, I think it was the best thing to happen at KI! May you forever be rembered, Son of Beast.

• Like 1

If anything, I'm going to miss the way the skyline looks. SoB was a beautiful coaster and one of my all time favorites. I was fortunate enough to ride it once with the loop when I was 9 years old, and about 6-7 times without the loop. I will miss SoB, but it was time :(

6832568467_ee41f5b428_z.jpg

• Like 7

You do not tear down Son of Beast and replace it with a steel coaster.

Nor do you attempt to keep salvaging a loser of a coaster. But crazier things have happened.

I said you do not just tear it down and trash it without getting something of value for it. You will not include parts of it into a new coaster but when you tear it down, you sale the boards for use elsewhere. Or you sale parts not able to be reused or all of it to a pulp mill and receive some value for it. You might be able to keep the station and include it into a new station for a new wooden coaster, just like they kept the old station from The Bat and used it for Vortex. In other words, it will go to a bone yard to be salvaged in some form.

I Had a dream last night that KI opened Son of Beast for one day and made riders pay $5 to ride with the money going to Give Kids The World.

Sorry for double posting. You would have to worry about injuries and you might collapse the thing by getting on it

If anything, I'm going to miss the way the skyline looks. SoB was a beautiful coaster and one of my all time favorites. I was fortunate enough to ride it once with the loop when I was 9 years old, and about 6-7 times without the loop. I will miss SoB, but it was time :(

Thanks for using my pictures! I plan on taking many different pictures of demolition over the next few months.

On some other notes:

The SOB did rock the casbah, now its just the viva la vida, same as it ever was.

I will be waiting for the SOB parts auction, but meanwhile I will be sitting back eating my popcorn watching the fanboys rage about this for a few weeks.

Thanks for using my pictures! I plan on taking many different pictures of demolition over the next few months.

Haha no problem. I searched "Kings Island Skyline" in Google and this picture was on the first page of the results.

Will miss this ride, but I can't say I'm surprised that the final decision was to remove it. It hasn't operated in 3 years and it just wasn't the same after the loop was removed. Will be quite interesting to see what they do with that area in the coming years. I don't expect anything new in that area for 2013, but it will give them a lot of room to work with.

Flashback:

I rememeber in 2005. I got of of beast and we ran to viking fury. I asked my dad can i get on there(SOB). He said it was to scray and i was just 1 INCH away from riding it but they said no. They got off and said it was terribly rough and dad felt like he had ruptured his spleen. Ever since i wanted to get on SOB. When i came in August of 2011. It was closed!I never got a chance to ride it :angry: 1 INCH!

I'm starting to find myself more and more unhappy with this decision. I'm glad we got a decision, but I feel like SOB was a huge investment to just take down now. It seems to me that there should be a way to make the ride work. Think about all the hype that went into building this coaster. And then all the time we've waited for a decision. If it was really such a lost cause couldn't we have taken it down years ago? I don't know any of the specifics on what was wrong and how to go about fixing it but it just seems to me there would be a way to fix it before just scrapping one of the larger coasters we have. I was all for replacing the track with steel, or just adding some brakes or something. but like I said, I don't know the feasibility of things like that.

I'm sad to see the coaster go, I really enjoyed riding it, thought it was a great coaster in terms of excitement and ride time. Maybe me being pretty young made the "roughness" tolerable but I never really had a problem with being shaken up, that was all part of the experience.

My dream would be for people to see this post and somehow change their minds on taking it down, but that is exactly what I stated it is, a dream.

(not bad for my 100th post, huh?)