Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Does anyone else find it odd that they announced the rides closure before announcing what would replace it? I kind of figured that they would have something in mind for the area...

I thought they were going to 180° it by saying we will have a new attraction to take it's place for 2013/2014 season.

I emailed Don about buying wood from SoB, this was his reply:

Dylan,

Thank you for your interest in Kings Island. It has yet to be determined what we’ll do with the pieces of the ride once it has been dismantled. We will let everyone know if they become available for sale or through an auction.

Sincerely,

DON Helbig

• Like 8

I can imagine making some very interesting souvenirs with some of that wood. I envision plaques made from the lumber, beveled, sanded and polished with a laser etching of the coater's image burned into one side, with a basic inscription about the coaster's lifespan, story, etc. Well, or maybe just toothpicks, I dunno.

• Like 2

I can imagine making some very interesting souvenirs with some of that wood. I envision plaques made from the lumber, beveled, sanded and polished with a laser etching of the coater's image burned into one side, with a basic inscription about the coaster's lifespan, story, etc. Well, or maybe just toothpicks, I dunno.

Etchings of X-rays showing broken vertebrae, cracked ribs, and MRI's of supposed busted blood vessels.

• Like 6

Dylan,

Thank you for your interest in Kings Island. It has yet to be determined what we’ll do with the pieces of the ride once it has been dismantled. We will let everyone know if they become available for sale or through an auction.

Sincerely,

DON Helbig

I would buy a piece.

I cant see the ride still standing on opening day 2013.

I just meant if it part of it was standing in 2013. Nobody knows how long or how short of a time period it will take to remove Son of Beast except park management.

Money will control most of that. I am guessing it is at least 1 million if not more, to have the ride taken down. Thats a chunk to eat for something to be removed. Things always come down faster than when they are built. I am guessing before Christmas it will be gone. Hope someone has a good idea for all that lumber. Huge cost just sitting there. Here's hoping to them using most of it for a new wood coaster that works right!

I would think the lumber is useless at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if its rotten after the two wet summers we just finished, the extreme heat and dryness of this summer, and no upkeep. The only return they may get on any of it is the trains which are still sitting near the rose bowl, in the elements. Scrap metal.

I believe the wood used to make SoB was pressure treated, therefore it should be fine for other uses. Home decks don't fall apart after 10 years, and pressure treated wood doesn't need maintenance.

• Like 1

I really do feel for the folks at Kings Island. It was a calculated risk, and it's just an extremely unfortunate ending to something that never seemed to work out. I just keep thinking back to the excitement around the announcement, and the awe of looking at it for the first time.

That said, it's a new beginning for that entire section of the park.

• Like 1

Etchings of X-rays showing broken vertebrae, cracked ribs, and MRI's of supposed busted blood vessels.

:unsure: Oh, yeah. That is kinda the legacy of that coaster, isn't it? Yeah. Fine. I'll just break out in song.

♫Goodbye, Son of Beast,

Though I never rode you at all

You had the strength

To shake apart the nerves of all who did,

When they took your loop,

How the fanboys hounded you, how the forums had to say,

Whether Sonny was found to be lame.

It seems to me, you lived your life,

Like some kindling in the wind

Never runnin', always sittin' there

When the fans came in...

I would've liked to have ridden, but I was just a kid

Your kindling burned out long before

My height restriction di-hiiii-id.♫

• Like 4

♫Goodbye, Son of Beast,

Though I never rode you at all

You had the strength

To shake apart the nerves of all who did,

When they took your loop,

How the fanboys hounded you, how the forums had to say,

Whether Sonny was found to be lame.

It seems to me, you lived your life,

Like some kindling in the wind

Never runnin', always sittin' there

When the fans came in...

I would've liked to have ridden, but I was just a kid

Your kindling burned out long before

My height restriction di-hiiii-id.♫

Good stuff.

^LOL Boy, talk about short-attention-span journalism!

I can just see the reporter, texting while pretending to listen to Mr. Helbig:

"Yeah, yeah, Roller Coaster. Got it. Yep. Big coaster, going away. Got it. What was your name again? Ok, thanks, Jim. No D- Don, Don. Sorry. Don. Ok. Thanks for the interview, Mr. Helborn."

• Like 6

OK bare with me on this. This is just me, but from the way the park is answering questions, it sounds like they want to expand Action Zone or make a new are. This is just what I thought. (Which I think is much needed.) If you look at this picture, SoB obviously is not condensed at all. It takes up a lot of space. (Sorry for bad quality).

new009.jpg

Once SoB is gone, all that room will be empty. My thought is to ave the new trail begin at where the lift hill crested, and end right to the left of Flight of Fear. This will open up XBase and make it much easier to navigate through that area of the park. They could have several flats back there including a ride like Skyhawk at CP. The new coaster (I would love I B and M Giga, but that just my opinion) would point in the opposite direction as SoB hill was and follow back around where the rose bowl is. There is still plenty of room to built several more flats and even another coaster back there. Their could also be several nice sit down restaurants back there too.

I know this is just thrown together,and honestly not very good! But I just thought of this and wanted to share it with you guys. Their is so much room back there the ideas are limitless!

Edited by KI FANATIC 37
  • Like 2

Their is so much room back there the ideas are limitless!

That's a good movie.

I'm starting to find myself more and more unhappy with this decision. I'm glad we got a decision, but I feel like SOB was a huge investment to just take down now. It seems to me that there should be a way to make the ride work. Think about all the hype that went into building this coaster. And then all the time we've waited for a decision. If it was really such a lost cause couldn't we have taken it down years ago? I don't know any of the specifics on what was wrong and how to go about fixing it but it just seems to me there would be a way to fix it before just scrapping one of the larger coasters we have. I was all for replacing the track with steel, or just adding some brakes or something. but like I said, I don't know the feasibility of things like that.

4 words. Tomb Raider: The Crypt.

• Like 1

Their is so much room back there the ideas are limitless!

That's a good movie.

I'm starting to find myself more and more unhappy with this decision. I'm glad we got a decision, but I feel like SOB was a huge investment to just take down now. It seems to me that there should be a way to make the ride work. Think about all the hype that went into building this coaster. And then all the time we've waited for a decision. If it was really such a lost cause couldn't we have taken it down years ago? I don't know any of the specifics on what was wrong and how to go about fixing it but it just seems to me there would be a way to fix it before just scrapping one of the larger coasters we have. I was all for replacing the track with steel, or just adding some brakes or something. but like I said, I don't know the feasibility of things like that.

4 words. Tomb Raider: The Crypt.

I think I would like to at least see a weaker (but probably still fun) version of SOB (much like we saw for the last year or so with The Crypt), unless that weaker version was the loopless and new-cars version of SOB.

I just keep going back to the idea that besides the problem that led to those injuries, I thought the ride was fine and it seems like there would be a way to fix that and keep a fun ride

The Crypt, in my opinion, was the strongest it's ever been as The Crypt in 2011. The theming was starting to look pretty good, and the uptime was great (way better than it ever had as Tomb Raider, and especially with the 9-flip cycle as The Crypt).

I think that The Crypt had a great last year in 2011 and a very fun last ride in my opinion. It was also a very different experience as Tomb Raider The Ride.

• Like 1

Dylan,

Sincerely,

DON Helbig

I would buy a piece.

Well if it becomes a sale/auction (I hope a bit of BB items will become on sale also), you may want a certificate of authenticity to go along with the piece/pieces. Thanks for the info also KIFanatic!

On another note I heard many people today at Kings Island talking about the SOB deconstruction, some talking about wanting to buy pieces of it, others talking about how they are going to miss it, it seems to be the "bird" of the park. (For those who do not know the bird is the word...)

Since there is no guarantee of there being an auction/any sale, speculation on your questions about how it would work would be total swags.

I imagine if sold, pieces would be more expensive than you'd imagine.

I don't beleive pieces will be sold/auctioned.

even wikipedia updated it to say its closed. I heard this from a lady yesterday at the park and said SOB is being removed. I didnt belive but now i see this

Wiki still says SBNO and it has been that way for a while...

There was a bit of a discussion on that, as the article on the SBNO term specified that it could include a coaster awaiting demolition but still standing. It has since been updated to say closed. (Note that only the "status" field in the box in the upper right of the article, known as the "infobox", was affected by this discussion. The prose of the article has correctly reflected the closure and pending demolition since a few minutes after the announcement.)

Guest TombraiderTy

...I'm trying to imagine AE with the open sky to the north-northwest.

This should help ;)

If you look at this picture ... (Sorry for bad quality).

[Picture]

Look at your keyboard, hit "Print Screen", then go into a program like Paint and hit CTRL and V. You're welcome.

• Like 1