Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Son of Beast was a head of its time just like The Bat. Next year we might have two wooden coasters that have some kinda loop. If you have anything from the park with Son of Beast on it hold on too it. As time goes on it gets harder to find things.

I feel like an area that KI is really lacking is inverted coasters. Flying Ace Aerial Chase is for the kids, and I don't really count Invertigo, although I do enjoy riding it. I think a Raptor- like inverted coaster would do well at the park.

Like I said before, I hope Kings Island at least keeps the station from Son of Beast. That station is beautiful and could be used again for a Steel or wooden roller coaster. I know a lot of people are saddened about seeing Son of Beast go, but think of it this way, at least your back will stay in good shape. What I mean by that is when I rode Son of Beast back in 2000, I was praying to God to let this ride be over with because it beat the heck out of me. Did I sue? No! I just swore that never again would I ride it. I do hope that someday KI builds another wooden roller coaster that does feature a loop now that we know that it can be done! I still would love to see GCI or GG come in to build the next wooden roller coaster for Kings Island if that in fact is their plans for the future. In my opinion, if you can have 90 degree turns like what you see on Voyage, you can add a loop. B)

• Like 1

...I'm trying to imagine AE with the open sky to the north-northwest.

This should help ;)

If you look at this picture ... (Sorry for bad quality).

[Picture]

Look at your keyboard, hit "Print Screen", then go into a program like Paint and hit CTRL and V. You're welcome.

I wish I was alive to experience the Express before you saw Flight of Fear's building... As a side note, did I see Top Gun before the 2nd lift?!

• Like 2

I guess my days of pointing at Son of Beast from Adventure Express and yelling "I can't wait for that part!" when I'm at the park with out-of-town friends will soon be over ):

Unless another Woodie replaces it. Then my trolling shall resume once again!

Man thats good! I would love to see the faces of some of the people on the train!

Good news to hear but sad, something from my childhood is gone!! Kings Island will be very different now!! I hope that they give pieces of the track away throughout the offseason. I think that would be wild, to forever have a piece of history. A coaster of 7 world record breakers! I'd love that, to have a piece of Son of Beast!

If only if SOB wasn't flawed since day 1, we could have a different SOB right now. I will never forget my first ride ever on that, I thought it was amazing, and really smooth, then they closed it down for 15 days, and when it reopened it felt like a totally different ride, for the worse. It was all down hill from there.

• Like 1

If only if SOB wasn't flawed since day 1, we could have a different SOB right now. I will never forget my first ride ever on that, I thought it was amazing, and really smooth, then they closed it down for 15 days, and when it reopened it felt like a totally different ride, for the worse. It was all down hill from there.

When was your first ride?

For those talking about re-using the wood, it's not as easy as it sounds. Demolishing a structure as large as SOB in a way that leaves the lumber usable sounds like a nightmare. Then it would all need to be inspected by a licensed individual (it's code, I've been there) and remember investigations on ride incidents found the wood to be inferior quality. Then you have the logistics of where would all these inspections occur, transportation, sellers etc... Beside, who wants a deck made of 10 year old wood full of holes from it's original use.

That said, I use salvaged lumber whenever I can.

In the past, several parks used to give away/sell portions of ledgers, etc. At least one park, which will not be named here, was advised by its insurance carrier to no longer do so due to alleged health concerns relating to indoor use of pressure treated wood. For the same reason, such wood should not be burned.

• Like 2

This should help ;)

[Picture]

Look at your keyboard, hit "Print Screen", then go into a program like Paint and hit CTRL and V. You're welcome.

what is the pad to the northeast at 0:55?

When was your first ride?

I first rode it on Media Night back in April of 2000. The first day it debuted to the general public, and they didn't even think they were going to open it then,( once again they knew they were problems). Remember when they used to shut it down to do checks of the track everyday for hours at a time?

This should help ;)

[Picture]

what is the pad to the northeast at 0:55?

Flight of Fear Contruction

• Like 1

Now I have been wondering something (not jumping to saying they would) would a park ever say something like that to see what respone they get from park guests? Is this really thier final desion is what I mean, could it been done to see if they got more yay than nay or vise versa, then from this point a park make a "true" desion? I'm not getting my hopes up becuase I bet this is truely done for.

• Like 1

Whizzer at Six Flags Great America was saved after loud public outcry following the closure announcement. Shockwave, an Arrow looper, was removed instead.

A. Whizzer didn't have Son of Beast's history, but did have a strong local following.

B. Six Flags then isn't Six Flags now, much less Cedar Fair.

I'd give this about a 0.00000001% chance of happening. At most.

I just can't help but the think how much money was wasted by KI on SOB and the Crypt in the 2000s. It has to total over $50,000,000 and that is a minimal estimate. $50,000,000 for two rides that didn't last over 9 years... That is quite pathetic...

For that price, if KI did their research and actually built rides that were from reputable construction companies, they could have had all of the following rides built AT Kings Island:

Ravine Flyer II: $6,000,000

Intimidator 305- @25,000,000

Sheikra- 13,500,000

Legend- $3,000,000

KI STILL would've saved $2,500,000 total. Its such a shame companies focus on gimmicks (Tallest,Fastest, Only Looping, Longest, First, blah, blah, blah) instead of focusing on building a fun and reliable ride...

• Like 3

I just can't help but the think how much money was wasted by KI on SOB and the Crypt in the 2000s. It has to total over $50,000,000 and that is a minimal estimate. $50,000,000 for two rides that didn't last over 9 years... That is quite pathetic...

For that price, if KI did their research and actually built rides that were from reputable construction companies, they could have had all of the following rides built AT Kings Island:

Sheikra- 13,500,000

Legend- $3,000,000

KI STILL would've saved $2,500,000 total. Its such a shame companies focus on gimmicks (Tallest,Fastest, Only Looping, Longest, First, blah, blah, blah) instead of focusing on building a fun and reliable ride...

I agree with you. It was a bad business mistake. But, those records draw customer into the park....

Sheikra- 13,500,000

Legend- $3,000,000

I agree with you. It was a bad business mistake. But, those records draw customer into the park....

Injuries, accidents, and poor reputation also draw them away...

• Like 3