Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

An interesting thought I had...

Kings Island, with Son of Beast, could boast 22,571 feet of wooden coaster track between Beast, SOB, Red Racer, Blue Racer, and Woodstock Express. This was a world record. Without SOB it is down to 15,539. I thought "does Kings Island still have this world record?", here's how some other parks stack up (most are known for their wooden coasters):

Kennywood, 3 woodies, 1 racing: 9,519 feet

Holiday World, 3 woodies: 13,284 feet

Kings Dominion, 4 woodies, 1 racing: 11,060 feet

Canada's Wonderland, 3 woodies: 8,334 feet

Six Flags Great Adventure, 2 woodies, 1 racing: 10,800 feet

Six Flags Great America, 3 woodies, 1 racing: 13,458 feet

Six Flags St. Louis, 3 woodies: 11,636 feet

Six Flags Magic Mountain, 2 woodies, 1 racing: 11,527 feet

Blackpool Pleasure Beach, 5 woodies (!), 1 racing: 14,562 feet

Well, I can't really think of any other park that has a lot of long wooden coasters, or a bunch of them (if you can, please tell me so I can look them up)...looks like Kings Island's world record remains so...just not nearly by as much as before. I guess when you have the world's longest wooden coaster (The Beast) and a long wooden racing coaster (Racer), you're bound to have a LOT of wooden coaster track, eh? :P

Mt. Olympus? They have 4 wooden coasters. 10861 Feet, I think.

Anybody know if they will be pointing a webcam at Son of Beast for the deconstruction?

I hope so!!! :D

I asked that earlier and someone made a good point. That would put negative emphasism on Son of Beast and probably not be good for the park.

Awww. :unsure: But I do see where they're coming from, with bad news media attention that would come with the webcam.

If anything, I'm going to miss the way the skyline looks. SoB was a beautiful coaster and one of my all time favorites. I was fortunate enough to ride it once with the loop when I was 9 years old, and about 6-7 times without the loop. I will miss SoB, but it was time :(

6832568467_ee41f5b428_z.jpg

So thats what I have been holding on to! I never rode SOB, but I was really sad to see it go. I couldn't figure out why... and this is why! Wow. Thats a big gap. They need (in my point of veiw) to replace it with another coaster. It just looks bad without somthing there.

• Like 2

^ Didn't Kentucky Kingdom close because SIX's lease on the land was up and they had too many issues with the State Fair Board?

No. Six Flags' lease was not up. It was rejected as part of the bankruptcy proceeding, in part because Six Flags did not see a business case for keeping the park. Then, Mr. Hart was rejected. Then, the Kochs walked.

• Like 1

Referring to Original's post here. Sorry buddy don't know your name. Wouldn't it be something if they built another wooden roller coaster in that same spot? Like I said, hopefully Gravity Group or GCI comes in and builds Kings Island another wooden roller coaster in the future. I won't hold my breath though. Whatever is in the best interest of Kings Island for the future, I"m sure I'll enjoy. ;)

^ Didn't Kentucky Kingdom close because SIX's lease on the land was up and they had too many issues with the State Fair Board?

No. Six Flags' lease was not up. It was rejected as part of the bankruptcy proceeding, in part because Six Flags did not see a business case for keeping the park. Then, Mr. Hart was rejected. Then, the Kochs walked.

Ah, I guess you learn something new everyday.

They need (in my point of veiw) to replace it with another coaster. It just looks bad without somthing there.

For those of us that were used to what it looked like pre 1999, it will look "normal" again. I'm sure something will eventually replace it. It's the perfect spot to locate a new coaster/attraction. And I'm sorry, but I could never look at the SOB lift hill without noticing all of the non symmetrical beams running from one end to the other - very poorly constructed in my opinion. I'm actually glad to see it removed.

• Like 2

I am glad they are finally going to remove Son of Beast. I absolutely loved the ride in it's original form but I never bothered with it after the accident and redone track layout. I am hoping the park expansion they are planning will connect Action Zone with X Base.

After my trip to St. Louis, I returned to Ohio for a few days, which naturally means that I stopped by Kings Island. While riding Flight Deck, I noticed 2 men walking the perimeter of the Son of Beast. I could be wrong about this, but there was what looked like new bamboo plants along the exit of Flight Deck facing the SOB. I can't imagine how difficult it was to come to this decision, but I applaud it. Hopefully they will build not One attraction but a variety of attractions in the space where SOB currently stands. Preferably attractions designed for families. ( All ages ) My only question now is what happens to Wolfpack?

My only question now is what happens to Wolfpack?

I wonder if they intend to keep the SOB station, and Que ramps and exit?

I believe it's been stated that Wolf Pack will remain where it is, which would suggest that the station and its entrance/exit ramps will be kept, at least for now.

I would love for the SOB station to be reused. It's nice to keep the history of the park alive, while still moving forward. Even if it's a completely different ride, it could be used. Examples being Vortex station reused from The Bat, and Maverick's queue using the old White Water Landing station.

Referring to Original's post here. Sorry buddy don't know your name. Wouldn't it be something if they built another wooden roller coaster in that same spot? Like I said, hopefully Gravity Group or GCI comes in and builds Kings Island another wooden roller coaster in the future. I won't hold my breath though. Whatever is in the best interest of Kings Island for the future, I"m sure I'll enjoy. ;)

Oh, I could see another animatronic walk-thru.....giant killer penguins or something on that order.

• Like 1

this is just annoying. i loved SOB. people are just sissies & can't handle it.

RIP to the BEST roller coaster Kings Island ever had. it will be greatly missed.

Sorry your favorite coaster is officially going away, but I'd hope you realize that the park doesn't just remove a ride because a few people can't handle it. I used to really enjoy SoB as well (with loop) and it had some thrills without loop also, but understand its time to move on.

I also hope that you've found other rides and attractions to enjoy at KI in the 3 years it's been SBNO so you can continue to enjoy the park. What was is about SoB that made it so great to you?

this is just annoying. i loved SOB. people are just sissies & can't handle it.

RIP to the BEST roller coaster Kings Island ever had. it will be greatly missed.

I'd not suggest you walk up to the people who got broken bones on the ride, one of whom got a judgment against the park after a multi-day jury trial, and tell them they are sissies.

By the way, the park's General Manager was not happy with the ride experience. Does that make him a sissy, too?

The park just announced a very difficult business decision, with many, varied factors to be considered. I'm sure the annoyance of people like you was one of the factors considered, but it was far outweighed by guest safety, comfort, maintenance costs, reliability, liability, and a host of other factors.

It is what it is.

• Like 9

In my lifetime I have played football, pole vaulted, high jumped, and raced bmx. I have been a mechanic for 35 years and I currently drive dragsters. I am no stranger to physical abuse or high g forces. I rode SOB a week before the accident that led to the removal of the loop and felt the jolt at the bottom of the Rosebowl, it was one of the worst pains I felt in my life. I still rode after the loop was removed but it was never a comfortable ride so I am not sad to see it go. I can certianly understand that it wasn't pleasant for others that are probably smarter with how they treat their bodies than me. To me it is a smart business decision. Can you imagine the battery of lawyers waiting by the exit to ask how your ride was if it reopened. Just remember if you get sued and you win you still lose. But this is just the opinion of a sissy.

• Like 6