Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Someone mentioned that Kings Island is trying to get opinions from the fans of what they want to see come to Kings Island in the future. Is there a part of Kings Island on their website where we can submit this kind of information? Hopefully Kings Island reads these forums because I would love for them to put in a B&M Floorless roller coaster. Those are fun!

I would like for Kings Island to build a hotel and a new campground in SOB's area. Have 2 new entrances, 1 near Flight Deck, and the other near Firehawk and Flight of Fear. 2014 would be your coaster expansion!

Great Wolf Lodge? I don't want to have a hotel within the park. I won't stand for a huge 10 story Mariott inside the park.

Who owns the Kings Island Inn now?

I believe that the inn (as well as all of the park's land on the opposite side of I-71), was sort of split from the park once Lindner's Great American Financial Group took control. When the Paramount sale came to fruition, the inn as well as the land on the other side of the interstate was not part of the sale, and was thereby kept by Lindner's company. I am not sure who operates the inn now, or if it's running on it's own management.

Please don't take all of this information as fact, as my minds a little fuzzy on all the details, perhaps Terpy can help with this one.

this is just annoying. i loved SOB. people are just sissies & can't handle it.

RIP to the BEST roller coaster Kings Island ever had. it will be greatly missed.

I'd not suggest you walk up to the people who got broken bones on the ride, one of whom got a judgment against the park after a multi-day jury trial, and tell them they are sissies.

By the way, the park's General Manager was not happy with the ride experience. Does that make him a sissy, too?

The park just announced a very difficult business decision, with many, varied factors to be considered. I'm sure the annoyance of people like you was one of the factors considered, but it was far outweighed by guest safety, comfort, maintenance costs, reliability, liability, and a host of other factors.

It is what it is.

nobody got broken bones on the SOB.? my god it isn't that bad.

RIP to the BEST roller coaster Kings Island ever had. it will be greatly missed.

Sorry your favorite coaster is officially going away, but I'd hope you realize that the park doesn't just remove a ride because a few people can't handle it. I used to really enjoy SoB as well (with loop) and it had some thrills without loop also, but understand its time to move on.

I also hope that you've found other rides and attractions to enjoy at KI in the 3 years it's been SBNO so you can continue to enjoy the park. What was is about SoB that made it so great to you?

i enjoy a lot of things at the park. i have a pass, & i go at least once a week. i used to be very scared of roller coasters until 2009, then i finally started enjoying them. i rode SOB the week before it was closed. i absolutely loved it, & wish that things like this wouldn't happen. i'm probably the minority here saying i loved it, but its just sad seeing something you enjoy leave.

I'd not suggest you walk up to the people who got broken bones on the ride, one of whom got a judgment against the park after a multi-day jury trial, and tell them they are sissies.

By the way, the park's General Manager was not happy with the ride

experience. Does that make him a sissy, too?

The park just announced a very difficult business decision, with many, varied factors to be considered. I'm sure the annoyance of people like you was one of the factors considered, but it was far outweighed by guest safety, comfort, maintenance costs, reliability, liability, and a host of other factors.

It is what it is.

Really? In addition to the broken sternum in July 2006, there were at least two earlier reported incidents of broken necks and many others of other broken bones.

Sissies?

• Like 5

By the way, the park's General Manager was not happy with the ride experience. Does that make him a sissy, too?

It is what it is.

Really? In addition to the broken sternums in July 2006, there were at least two earlier reported incidents of broken necks and many others of other broken bones.

Sissies?

i really enjoy the ride. people should take warning that the ride is rough before they get on, or if they have prior medical issues. that sucks people were injured, but have you ever been on the ride.? it's not bad at all. even after the loop was removed. i loved it. & its very special to people who to go Kings Island on a regular basis & ride big rides. people in ohio were THRILLED when this roller coaster was unveiled, it broke so many records. this will always be my favorite ride. & how dare you call me "annoying" for sticking up for what i believe in, & something that i enjoy. & if you don't like that i speak my mind on here, don't look at my post.

RideMan

I wonder if they have considered the option of removing everything from the bottom of the first drop to the top of the last drop, and building a new coaster out of what is left. With the most expensive part of the ride already built, they could build an awesome new wood coaster for not too terribly much additional money. Just avoid oversized helii...

The failure that caused the injuries was not necessarily because of substandard materials or construction, but it did have to do with an engineering failure. As I understand it, the bottom of the helix was not adequately supported, so it bounced like crazy when the train went through. In order to correct that bounce, the park's construction team added supports and stiffened the structure, based on their extensive experience with wood coasters. Unfortunately, stiffening the structure made it so that the column in the middle of the helix that failed could no longer handle the loads being placed on it, so it failed. The rest, as they say, is history. I have a copy of the engineering report around here somewhere, courtesy of the Cincinnati Enquirer web site...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

i just read that somewhere, surprisingly, that wouldn't be a horrible idea.

It is what it is.

Really? In addition to the broken sternums in July 2006, there were at least two earlier reported incidents of broken necks and many others of other broken bones.

Sissies?

i really enjoy the ride. people should take warning that the ride is rough before they get on, or if they have prior medical issues. that sucks people were injured, but have you ever been on the ride.? it's not bad at all. even after the loop was removed. i loved it. & its very special to people who to go Kings Island on a regular basis & ride big rides. people in ohio were THRILLED when this roller coaster was unveiled, it broke so many records. this will always be my favorite ride. & how dare you call me "annoying" for sticking up for what i believe in, & something that i enjoy. & if you don't like that i speak my mind on here, don't look at my post.

I am pretty sure that many who post on here were on SOB. Even many during the media day. Next time you want to match wits with someone you may not want to go after a senior member on this board. There is a fine line between healthy discussion and just pure sillyness. You, my friend, have easily cruised past that line into plain sillyness.

Many people were thrilled when it opened and then were saddened months/moments/years later. Remember CF is not ruining KI, they are doing what they can to make it better/safer/more enjoyable for everyone.

• Like 3

i thought i said i was annoying.

Umm... yeah, sure.

I agree?

ipeople should take warning that the ride is rough before they get on, or if they have prior medical issues.

What do you suggest for those individuals that have enjoyed hundreds of rides on numerous coasters, "enjoy" SoB, then suddenly have a undisclosed medical issue?

The ride has left numerous injuries, even after being "fixed".

-moving on-

You could attempt on stomping your feet about SoB leaving.

It won't change a thing.

I suggest to get over it and move on.

Also- please tell mccarthysnerd hello, and that I really miss him....

• Like 7

Also, not all B&M flyers are the same thing. In fact, most of them are different. Vekomas are EXACT replicas of each other.

Actually, no. Batwing and Firehawk have double helix where as Nighthawk does not. You are almost correct though. They are nearly identical. For all the flying coasters I have been on Tatsu is by far the best. Batwing, Firehawk, and Nighthawk are better than Superman Fliers at SFGAd, SFGAm, or SFOG. At least, this is my opinion.

• Like 1

i used to be very scared of roller coasters until 2009, then i finally started enjoying them. i rode SOB the week before it was closed.

More proof to my theory about the save SoB crowd - so many who loved it and/or wanted to save it only rode it once or twice (if at all). I think many were in love with the concept, the records, and built a better memory of SoB as time wore on than the reality of the ride deserved. Again, this comes from one who enjoyed SoB (more with the loop), rode it when in was open, initially wanted it to reopen, but long ago realized that the current path is best for KI.

• Like 7

i used to be very scared of roller coasters until 2009, then i finally started enjoying them. i rode SOB the week before it was closed.

More proof to my theory about the save SoB crowd - so many who loved it and/or wanted to save it only rode it once or twice (if at all). I think many were in love with the concept, the records, and built a better memory of SoB as time wore on than the reality of the ride deserved. Again, this comes from one who enjoyed SoB (more with the loop), rode it when in was open, initially wanted it to reopen, but long ago realized that the current path is best for KI.

I think you can say that w/ just about anyone in regards to past pleasures. As time marches forward most people tend to forget the (heart)aches associated w/ their memories and fall back on the good times. The same could be said of past loves (that don't end totally badly, then you tend to just remember the bad times and wipe out any of the good times and why you initially fell in love), past cars, old friends, or even old roller coasters. The idea of SOB and the fact that it still jumps into your vision each time you visit the park with so much promise trumps the forgotten memories of the pains it caused that have long worn off.

It is what it is.

Sissies?

No ride should be rough enough to break bones.

• Like 9