Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

honnestly i feel like they wont start much of the construction until after the park has closed for the post season. especially since they are keeping wolf pack for this season of haunt. but i would think before they did anything they would take out some of the easier parts first, like the chain to the lift and all the electrical aspects if they havent yet. but of course i dont know anything about demolition. it will be weird to see just that whole area open though when it is down. either way im excited because this means a new page is being turned for Kings Island and another coaster in the history books. honnestly, i dont think people will forget about SOB since it was a world breaker and a prototype.

• Like 1

Actually it would be very easy to do controlled demo on a wood coaster.

You obviously aren't familiar with the story of "The Rocket" at Ocean View Park.

Ocean View Park was a seaside amusement park in Norfolk Virginia that lasted through the 1970s. It ultimately fell on hard times and the land became more valuable than the park's revenue (the park had become run-down, crime ridden and percieved by locals as a monstrosity when compared to the newly opened Buch Gardens in Williamsburg just 45 minutes away) thus the land was sold to developers.

The park, in it's next-to-last season, was featured in the movie "RollerCoaster" where it's Rocket rollercoaster was the scene of a (staged) devistating mishap... a "mad bombing and train de-railment." (The park was chosen as the scene of the "bombing/de-railment" due to it's nearing it's closure and there were no concerns over any "bad press" a staged mishap in a film would cause the park.)

The next year, the park closed and Holywood came calling. It was chosen as the site of a infamous made-for-tv movie called "The Death of Ocean View Park." This was a tale of an amusement park built on grounds that were collapsing/eroding. The movie culminated with the collapse/explosion of the entire park (with guests inside, of course) in a large spectacular fashion at the end of the movie.

In reality, the land owners were approached by the network to have the demolition filmed for the disaster movie (which were popular at the time) and they agreed as the cost of the park's demolition would be covered by the network. For the filming, the Rocket Coaster was imploded with large amounts of dynamite... everything was set up as a "controlled demolition" and it went off without a hitch.

Wrong

Actually it went off with a BIG hitch.

The coaster didn't collapse.

Actually it stood firm through several takes and implosions over several days. Ultimately, bulldozers were brought in after many attempts and the coaster met it's maker on film with the help of construction vehicles pulling it apart out of view of the cameras. (Even so, it only came down after the supports had been chain-sawed from the footings.)

The lesson learned was that the coaster structure was not as suceptable to an implosion as concrete structures are. That's why you don't see coasters being imploded... it really doesn't work.

I remember the filming like it was yesterday. I was a wee lad living in Hampton Roads nearby, and my family had been to the park. The closure/demolition was big local news, was viewed by onlookers and ultimately captured and viewed on film. I saw the original broadcast of the show, and remember watching it like it was yesterday. I've not seen it since, and am not sure if it's on DVD.

Bottom line, I don't think a "controlled demolition" would work for SOB... it's been tried before.

• Like 8

When you say new trains do you mean the ones that were put on in 07? If so,yes, that was one of the problems with the original ride. The trains were to heavy for the track and it was slowly destroying the tracks. But they needed those heavier train for the loop. So inorder to get lighter (smaller) trains, they needed to take out the loop.

It doesnt surprise me that the Ocean View Rocket defied implosion, coasters are designed to restand stresses that buildings will never have to like a 1 ton plus coaster train racing down a drop at speed. The forces placed on riders have to absorbed through the structure which 1 ton time 3(Gs) is 3 tons.

It doesnt surprise me that the Ocean View Rocket defied implosion, coasters are designed to restand stresses that buildings will never have to like a 1 ton plus coaster train racing down a drop at speed. The forces placed on riders have to absorbed through the structure which 1 ton time 3(Gs) is 3 tons.

Well, Son of Beast was always a rebel I 'spose!

(I hope this reads the way I want it to)

Don't mention this to some people.

They will still make an attempt to convince you SoB could be seen falling apart while traveling 20+ mph from a considerable distance.

I wonder where those folks went? hmmmmm.....

• Like 3

When you say new trains do you mean the ones that were put on in 07? If so,yes, that was one of the problems with the original ride. The trains were to heavy for the track and it was slowly destroying the tracks. But they needed those heavier train for the loop. So inorder to get lighter (smaller) trains, they needed to take out the loop.

As I have posted many times before, the loop may have necessitated the original trains, but heavy trains were not being sought. Manufacturers' recommendations and decisions as to availabilty resulted in those trains premiering on the ride.

If we're talking about coasters wobbling, then let's throw this for a loop, shall we?

FTW, not making a Son of Beast pun, actually.

All structures do that; our perception of it just depends on what force is causing it and what its magnitude is. There are videos of tall Japanese buildings swaying widely during the earthquakes in 2011.

• Like 2