Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

wow. just read all comments on thread. That's about 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I've read things from the park's press release that I am sure was well prepared and rehearsed... From that I would surmise a few things:

• don't expect anything in that area except grass and weeds for 2013 and maybe a construction zone in some of it for 2014.
  • the words were clear way for future expansion. I think for some on this board that means every acre used by SOB in that expansion... doubtful.

from my perspective. a few things:

• I anticipate an Action Zone makeover with a mid-completion date of 2015 and beyond.
  • in regards to our newbie's critiquing the Board. I'm going to side with Terp on this. not saying that one should have 35k+ posts like terp to critique... but possibly more than 45.

• Like 5

I want to start a topic about how you FEEL about SOB being removed. Since there's already topics about rumors of it, pictures of it and a discussion of it.

Frankly, I'm sad and glad, happy and mad, feel good and bad.

The only constant...is change.

That topic probably exists as well. I'll bet it's buried in the Polls section.

• Like 1

I guess my onride photo with the original lap bars is a collectors item now :P . On a side note, just think about all the footers they have to dig up :wacko:

Maybe there aren't any footings - that's why the ride jackhammered so much! (just kidding)

• Like 3

To be honest, I'm very happy to see it go. When in line for AE, a kid was asking an adult about "That ride", pointing to SOB. Regular patrons know all the facts, but it looked like a dad and his kids on vacation.

The adult says, no, that ride's not open, people got hurt, they shut it down.

That's a bum deal for a kid to hear. Part of the thrill of KI is the safety. Once you've seen workmen walk The Beast, that reputation is cemented.

Then to hear "People got hurt." That's not good.

The look on that kid's face after hearing that wasn't something I'd like to see on a ride goer. The idea of rides not being safe is not an image the park wants to convey. I'll be very happy to see that blemish leave, and hopefully fun, safe things to take it's place.

The park employees work to hard on KI's reputation to have that big old fat thing blotch it.

• Like 8

Son of Beast was fun i will say that, I never had the chance to ride it after the loop was removed and the other trains but i loved SOB.

With that said I have to agree that it is about time to put the past behind and look forward to the future, And i really wonder with the 2006 accident and the incident in 2009 CF just wanted to close the chapter on SOB. What park wants to gave i ride that has had so many issues and injuries.

RIP Son of Beast

• Like 1

KI PR posted photos of the demolition on Twitter, which, I think, is good PR. People will wonder what's going to take it's place. Everyone likes a good mystery.

My question is this: If they are advertising the demolition of their biggest wooden roller coaster via social media, why not have a webcam on their main site?

• Like 1

KI PR posted photos of the demolition on Twitter, which, I think, is good PR. People will wonder what's going to take it's place. Everyone likes a good mystery.

My question is this: If they are advertising the demolition of their biggest wooden roller coaster via social media, why not have a webcam on their main site?

Someone should E-Mail the park about installing a Son of Beast demolition webcam or maybe we should just ask KI using KIC about the webcam......

or maybe we should just ask KI using KIC about the webcam......

KIC isn't an appropriate way to ask the park anything. You aren't the first person to ask about this here, and I'm sure the park has already been asked in various ways such as email and Twitter.

Offhand, I would guess that the park prefers pointing their webcams at more positive things.

I think the only reason they didn't put one up was because of the maintenance. If the webcam went down, they would have to send someone up there to fix it and it would just be a pain in the butt. And if it didn't get fixed you'd have people ranting about it and getting angered at the park.

or maybe we should just ask KI using KIC about the webcam......

KIC isn't an appropriate way to ask the park anything. You aren't the first person to ask about this here, and I'm sure the park has been asked in various ways such as email and Twitter.

Offhand, I would guess that the park prefers pointing their webcams at more positive things.

More positive? Kings Island posted pictures of Son of Beast being demolished on there own website......And further park expansion is usually a positive thing....

• Like 1

More positive? Kings Island posted pictures of Son of Beast being demolished on there own website......And further park expansion is usually a positive thing....

Perhaps they prefer that people who check the webcams page see things other than Son of Beast. The images on their website are posted on the blog, which is primarily of interest to enthusiasts and anyone interested in park developments. Featuring it on a webcam would draw continuous attention in a way a blog post does not. I'm sure the park currently prefers continuous attention to be directed towards Haunt and next season, rather than whatever is planned for SOB's plot in the future.

It's great that the park is taking images of the demolition and publishing them, whether they're offering a live feed or not. You should email KI to thank them!

• Like 2

Many more people go to Kings Island's Twitter page than their webcam page, yet Don still publishes the photos on Twitter. It's almost as if FUN is trying to promote the demolition. I don't see the harm in putting a webcam on the demolition seeing as how they are already promoting it on a much higher traffic site currently.

I think the only reason they didn't put one up was because of the maintenance. If the webcam went down, they would have to send someone up there to fix it and it would just be a pain in the butt. And if it didn't get fixed you'd have people ranting about it and getting angered at the park.

They don't seem to have a problem with the webcams they have already...

Do you want I should ask the PR firm I keep tied in the utility room of my cottage?

Then explain to me why the Soak City cam is pointed in a direction that effectively renders it useless.

Then explain to me why the Soak City cam is pointed in a direction that effectively renders it useless.

Soak City's webcam was facing Soak City up until the very last day of SC operation and then they pointed it downwards facing the slides......Which isn't doing them much good now but.....