Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I was really hoping they would run one last empty train before demolition. I would love to see that video on Youtube every so often!

^ I think that would be very cool. But, I dont think they want to make a scene at all. But is the coaster and its trains even in a good enough shape to be ran? Its been 3 years of just sitting there. But I dont know... just a theroy

• Like 1

Good or bad, this has to be one of the most significant things to happen to Kings Island since they got tired of the Ohio River flooding Coney Island.

I'm not sure that enough people realize the full gravity of what is happening (that pun WAS intended to lessen the weight of my post).

• Like 3

And perhaps the next time they build a wooden coaster it will be a great one, of international renown.

I wouldn't. Those are too complicated. I would much rather a woodie where it plugs itself into the rest of the park, similar to a puzzle piece. Maybe they could include a playset next to it, where children can play.

I was really hoping they would run one last empty train before demolition. I would love to see that video on Youtube every so often!

^ I think that would be very cool. But, I dont think they want to make a scene at all. But is the coaster and its trains even in a good enough shape to be ran? Its been 3 years of just sitting there. But I dont know... just a theroy

Thats true. But, you mentioned making a scene about Son of Beast. I agree with you about that but KIPR and Greg posted pictures of the demolition on Twitter. I would think that would get more publicity than just running a train though one more time. The most concerning factor is probably the trains. I think they have been sitting in this dirt patch since 2010.

image-3.jpg

It would be hard to believe that those trains could be run in that condition.

This past May I walked in the JDRF Walk to cure Diabetes. The path goes back through SoB, under the hill and past the Rose Bowl, it really is a magnificent sight to see back there. I took several photos like the one post above (and the ones Ive posted in Random Photo of the Day). I really didnt get to stop and "drool: over it because honestly, I thought I would be back there again next year. The announcement caught me so off guard it was like getting punched in the stomach!

• Like 7

I think it would be a safety concern more than bad publicity. As other posters above me have stated, the ride structure and track itself has sat uncared for for about 3 years. If a couple tons of weight were to suddenly travel over an unstable structure, what do you think would happen to the surrounding rides? Flight Deck and Adventure Express could suffer major damage. Not solely from the tumbling wood, but from the trains hurtling in excess of 70 mph towards the ground. In addition, how could one know without inspecting the ride that the chain, sensors, and brakes still functioned properly?

• Like 4

the ride structure and track itself has sat uncared for for about 3 years. If a couple tons of weight were to suddenly travel over an unstable structure, what do you think would happen to the surrounding rides?

There are wooden coasters at Mt. Olympus in Wisconsin that have been uncared for for longer than three years, and the trains never hurt the surrounding rides.

• Like 3

And perhaps the next time they build a wooden coaster it will be a great one, of international renown.

I wouldn't. Those are too complicated. I would much rather a woodie where it plugs itself into the rest of the park, similar to a puzzle piece. Maybe they could include a playset next to it, where children can play.

It's been mentioned on here that some posts offer more than what they seem…I think this might be one of those times.

I am unfamiliar with that park (Mount Olympus). I have heard the name, but know not of the backstory of their rides. I would, albeit an amateur guess, venture out to say that those roller coasters were probably designed better than Son of Beast. A la the 2006 incident.

EDIT:

It's been mentioned on here that some posts offer more than what they seem…I think this might be one of those times.

I know what Interpreter was saying. I was offering my input. For example, El Toro.

Thats true. But, you mentioned making a scene about Son of Beast. I agree with you about that but KIPR and Greg posted pictures of the demolition on Twitter. I would think that would get more publicity than just running a train though one more time. The most concerning factor is probably the trains. I think they have been sitting in this dirt patch since 2010.

image-3.jpg

The thing with the trains, they're no longer there. They were removed about a month and a half ago, as stated by KingsIslandPR (Don) here on the forums.

The ride vehicles are typically the first thing to go when an attraction is being dismantled.

I was at the park on Friday and was wondering if the trains were to be put on the track, could it run? Even with parts of the track removed on the rose bowl, could it? The sensors are probably non-functional, I don't know if the chain is even on the tracks any more, and are the computers even still hooked up?

What do you guys think? I personally don't think it is able to run.

I was at the park on Friday and was wondering if the trains were to be put on the track, could it run? Even with parts of the track removed on the rose bowl, could it? The sensors are probably non-functional, I don't know if the chain is even on the tracks any more, and are the computers even still hooked up?

I don't think that the chain was left on the ride because back in 09' and 10' They were not sure of the rides fate which gave them reason to remove the chain along with the cars. The chain is A LOT harder to re-use or remove after sitting and rusting on the wood for 3 years. Just a thought....

You know, I've been thinking. I wonder how much of Cedar Fair's capital has been spent on demolition/removal this year.

Son of Beast, The Crypt, Wildcat, Disaster Transport, Space Spiral, and the ride at Knott's. I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something.

• Like 6

Just a guess, but prior to any actual removal of track and supports, I am thinking the electronic items including the drive box panel, sensors, phones, lights, etc. are removed. Things like those can be used again somehow.

It's such a darn shame this ride just didn't work out! Like the girl that got away...

It was okayed to run again by the state but KI decided it was not up to their standards. It had a bad history and no matter how well it was re-configured, its reputation would hold it back. Also any guest that complained of a a bad back or whatever, they would seek out a lawyer and the whole legal process would continued again even if they had a prior condition. It would had carried lots of bad baggage and guests would not ride it. So rather than risking mega bucks on it, it was cost effective to tear it down and replace it in the future. It is kind of like putting lots of bucks into a clunker and not trusting it to take you places and buy a new car instead.

• Like 1