Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I would say the helix will come down this week. I'm sure what they will do is pull it into itself to allow it to collapse. Then clean it up.

Maybe. I think this will take longer than anyone thinks it should. Judging by the picture of the crane, it looks like they are having to use a cherry picker basket to go up and cut the supports in various places before they can demolish it, particularly the thicker areas, like where the track itself is. I can see this lasting through October and November easily before its all down.

Now part of me's wondering what Son of Beast would have looked like in 20 years if left to its own devices, much like the Coney Island Thunderbolt (which sat SBNO along Surf Avenue in NYC from 1983 to 2000.)

11530veqcng7k0g39o006d.jpg

(Courtesy RCDB.)

Something tells me it would have been the world's tallest planter. Probably a pretty cool-looking one, too, in its own way.

• Like 1

After seeing how over grown the coaster is, I feel that their decision is a better one. I think I miss the original coaster and what it could have been more than I miss the coaster as it was even back in '09. If they would have brought it back, I don't think it would be the same. And another trait I loved about the coaster was the size and ambition behind it. Most coasters now days are somewhat "cookie cutter", but this one was most certainly one of a kind and distinct. If the ride would have worked out, there would be nothing else that could match it.

one could also argue that a majority of the things claimed on screamscape 'come true'.

Just because its not 100% not accurate doesn't mean it is not accurate a majority of the time.

I also think it's fair to say there is a far greater amount of untrue statements contained in the message boards on KIC than one would find on screamscape.

I also think it's fair to say there is a far greater amount of untrue statements contained in the message boards on KIC than one would find on screamscape.

Without a doubt a majority of the rumors and speculation on these forums tend to be false or simply just that... rumors and speculation. No one is arguing that KIC is any more reliable.

However, a vague post on Screamscape saying something big is coming in 2014 doesn't really clarify anything. Hence why he said "take it with a grain of salt." Who knows what, if anything, is coming and what is considered "big."

Many users on this site would consider some new roller coaster "big," but as the KI entrance states: Dinosaurs Alive is the "biggest" thing the world has seen in a long time.

The difference being the posts on KIC do not disappear once the rumor is proven false.

In addition: the same untrue statements that are later deleted on SS are first found on KIC- with the same exact words/ wording used. Most times credit for the information is a "SS source" as opposed to "friends at KIC".

How many remember the unethical Maverick posting?

• Like 1

Its just wierd to me, since the majority of what Lance puts on Screamscape about KI is found on these forums. And none of us have really given reason to believe there will be a big expensive coaster in 2014. It just makes me wonder where hes pulling this from.

hold this with a grain of salt but Scream Scape is reporting today 10/2 that Kings Ilsand will have something big in 2014

Big in 2014 - increased food prices, parking prices, and admission prices! And no exchanging salt - no matter how many grains - for U. S. dollars!