Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Guest KingsIslandPR

Don's meaning of "taken down the same way it was put up, piece by piece" must be different than my meaning. ;)

The actual quote was by sections, not piece by piece. If you're going to quote someone, let's try and get it right. :)

• Like 35

Don's meaning of "taken down the same way it was put up, piece by piece" must be different than my meaning. ;)

The actual quote was by sections, not piece by piece. If you're going to quote someone, let's try and get it right. :)

This has got to be my favorite thing said by you since you started posting. Thanks for the laugh!

EDIT: Demolition reminds me of GASM. If you look for it, you can see the track completely seperate from the structure just before impact!

I think we all need to really appreciate how much Don adds to this site. While fans of other parks have to sneak their way onto the property to get shakey cam footage or out of focus pictures, there is Don posting videos and pictures.

Plus he helps put members in their place... someone give this man a medal!

Side note: Does Don still hold The Racer Record?

And cross threading here: Don's a good example of how an enthusiast can turn his hobby into a career.

• Like 4

With or without SS rumors, I'm curious as to what's going to happen to that area of the park. Seeing SOB go down so quickly, it's only making me wonder more. Look at how quickly the park has changed for the better in such a short time, with pavers and menus and morale and more; It leads me to think they have something unique and spectacular in mind for the future.

• Like 3

I'm not saying that they don't have plans for the land where SOB is/was, but I don't really think they are taking it down "quickly" nor do I think they are taking their sweet old time on the demolition. Tearing this coaster down is going to take as long as it takes. No more, no less. If they needed the land to start construction this fall or winter, they would have likely started demo sooner. I don't think the speed at which the coaster is coming down has much to do with the current plans for the land, or lack thereof.

• Like 4

It could be a project similar to Maverick. If you remember at the end of the 2005 season, CP demolished White Water Landing and then for the 2006 season, when guests entered the park, there was a big wall followed by a lot of footers. Maybe we'll see the same pattern here for Kings Island.

When I was in maintenance during 1973, we started to construct the Lion Country Safari in September and by Christmas we had the vast majority of the footers for the mono-rail dug and competed. I was one of two laborers that worked with a crew of rough carpenters and rod buster. We dug and put all the forms for the footers and I grouted all the footers when they were all completed. All the plans were made before September of 73 and our construction schedule was made out. Right now, they are tearing down SOB and it will most likely go into November or December. The weather will turn cold and the ground will start to freeze, which will make it harder to dig and pour the concrete for the footers. I would think plans are made or nearly made and just need to announce it when construction does begin. Whatever type of ride is planned, we should see something in the spring of 2013 or the fall. I am sure there will be a big announcement, just like they did with the new, revamped Soak City.

Right now, they are tearing down SOB and it will most likely go into November or December.

No offense, but how does experience building a monorail allow you to predict that the demolition will take until November or December?

The weather will turn cold and the ground will start to freeze, which will make it harder to dig and pour the concrete for the footers.

Why would you install footings for a ride you're demolishing?

• Like 3

Because some people here are expecting that the demolition of Son of Beast will occur concurrently with the construction of whatever is going to replace it.

It's just fun to watch, you know? And only a little sad to see the overwhelming disappointment when...

EDIT: (Via Twitter)

@lafuntimes: Is @KingsIslandPR planning a new coaster for 2014? http://ow.ly/e8Wt1via @screamscape

@kingsislandpr: @latimesfunland Not looking that far ahead.

Here is how uninformed screamscape can be.

Honestly, I’m surprised they seem to be taking their time taking this thing down, rather than just bulldoze it, knock it over, or implode it.

​Guess he really doesn't realize that the station is being utilized for the haunt....

• Like 1

Years ago, Screamscape was very uninformed....

Seeing that video brings two memories back for me: All the memories I have of being a ride op on that ride (my first ride crew,) and the news story of almost that same exact section being blown over by wind....

• Like 1