Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Right now, they are tearing down SOB and it will most likely go into November or December.

No offense, but how does experience building a monorail allow you to predict that the demolition will take until November or December?

The weather will turn cold and the ground will start to freeze, which will make it harder to dig and pour the concrete for the footers.

Why would you install footings for a ride you're demolishing?

With Wolf Pack in the queue building of SoB and the last operating day of Halloween Haunt being October 28 I think it is a safe assumption that demolition will last until at least November, regardless of any expertise in monorail construction and insights it may provide. Three days to clear out the remaining structure, even if the station were to be left intact, seems a bit ambitious.

I don't think they lied. The pre-season statement on SOB back in April/May was "status quo"- I don't think they intended to operate it again, as shown by the overgrown state of the rose bowl- but I don't think they every said that they intended to reopen the coaster. Thinking that they intended to keep it standing until a short/long-term plan was in place. My thought is they know exactly what is going to happen in that space (that will probably come to fruition over the next 5-7 years).

Any new ride that might or will be planed, will need new footings to be dug and concrete poured. When I assisted on the mono rail footings, we started digging them in September of 1973 when the weather was still nice and warm and the ground was not frozen. Whatever ride they have planned, I don't look for footers to be dug and poured until sometime in 2013 when the weather is warm and the ground is not frozen, sometime from spring to sometime in the fall.

To all you guys who mentioned about the park officials, I have a feeling a new roller coaster will be built for 2014. So I'm going to believe Screamscape on this one. Before someone quotes me here, let me just point out that they were right about the rumblings of Cedar Point getting a roller coaster for 2013. My thought is they know what's going in, but they aren't going to hint anything just yet to get people excited. That's just my two cents.

With all due respect, construction practices have changed drastically in the last 39 years. Not to mention that Son of Beast was most instructive as to what can happen when a park company acts as general contractor on such a massive, specialized project.

As for Screamscape, please define "they.". I know Lance Hart. He is not a they.

Assuming, arguendo, that construction is even contemplated. There is a lot of assumption around here. There can be no assurance that it is warranted.

• Like 3

I want to know why so many people want a coaster in Son of Beast's plot for next year. Personally, I would be a lot happier with the park using the land to expand and possibly connect to X-Base. I'll take new rides, shops, eaterys, restrooms and landscapes over one new coaster any day,

• Like 5

Can I just say one thing. My information is right from twitter it's self. It was an conversation from me to Don.

Me: are you going to show video of the Lift and drop falling to the ground?

Don: Depends on when it might be.

Me: A lot of people on Kings Island Central are saying that will stay in the skyline until after haunt is over. (Wolf Pack Haunt)

Don: It could be down before the end of Haunt.

Could that mean that there is a possibility that the skyline will change even before the 27th or October when Haunt officially ends? Or would it be past the 28th of October. We could never know until it happens.

Note: That I am NOT taking this as a fact. I'm saying there is a possibility.

• Like 5

I want to know why so many people want a coaster in Son of Beast's plot for next year. Personally, I would be a lot happier with the park using the land to expand and possibly connect to X-Base. I'll take new rides, shops, eaterys, restrooms and landscapes over one new coaster any day,

Totally agree. What I don't get is why KI is taking down Sob little by little. This pretty much explains what I'd do if it were up to me.....

Well if it could be down before the end of Haunt, I would say there is a possibility of it coming down before the end of Haunt! Judging from how the other sections have come apart, I'd be surprised to see it come down in any area where debris could interfere with anywhere a guest could go.

Well if it could be down before the end of Haunt, I would say there is a possibility of it coming down before the end of Haunt! Judging from how the other sections have come apart, I'd be surprised to see it come down in any area where debris could interfere with anywhere a guest could go.

Not to mention that Top Gun would probably no longer run the rest of the 2012 season. So glad SoB is coming down.

Not to mention that Top Gun would probably no longer run the rest of the 2012 season. So glad SoB is coming down.

I think one word covers the whole no flight deck operation: INSURANCE

I think one word covers the whole no flight deck operation: INSURANCE

I couldn't help myself when I read this. When you used insurance with all upper case letters, I felt like it was a scrambled word game, as a mystery on why it would be not running for a while.

I came up with these:

SAUCER INN - Flight Deck is being rethemed to a hotel for aliens?

CANE RUINS - new disaster theme, referring to a hurricane, like from the coaster SOB's second trains came from...obviously in ruins.

I CARE NUNS - new theme where the jets are changed to flying nuns that are rescuing you

• Like 6

I was really hoping they would run one last empty train before demolition. I would love to see that video on Youtube every so often!

^ I think that would be very cool. But, I dont think they want to make a scene at all. But is the coaster and its trains even in a good enough shape to be ran? Its been 3 years of just sitting there. But I dont know... just a theroy

I'm pretty sure the coaster is not in a good enough shape to run... Just my opinion though.

• Like 1