Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I hope I'm not the only one who was thinking, "Is this just a thirty second video of the structure sitting, OH WOW, nevermind" :D

When I saw the structure collapse, my mouth hung open, and I was speechless

No seriously :blink:

Another pic from the twitter page.

A4JUZ7aCMAACAcl.jpg

WOW Thats a whole lot of kindling--er, wood! :P

You said the statement was inaccurate.

I wish to thank Don for this:

If you're going to quote someone, let's try and get it right. :)

I'm not sure this is an accurate statement.

Don't twist the meaning of what I said.

Don's quote was provided by the media, who have been known to make many, many, many errors, especially when quoting another.

I can see the writer asking: "What are the future plans for the SoB site?", and the response being: "There are no current plans for all 12 acres."

What I don't get is why KI is taking down Sob little by little.

Am I the only one that's been impressed by how quickly the ride is coming down? Not meaning to come down on you, SonofBaconador. I just had this idea that this thing wouldn't totally be down till just before opening day 2013, but they're well on their way to have it down before New Years'.

So long as the burning of pressure treated wood doesn't kill him instantly.

Is it just me, or is a page not a page in this thread until someone's joked about burning the ride down and someone's swooped in with a "the fumes would kill you" retort? ;) (Not coming down on you, either, TheCrypt. Heck, I'm probably the pot calling the kettle black. I'm just saying!)

• Like 2

To all you guys who mentioned about the park officials, I have a feeling a new roller coaster will be built for 2014. So I'm going to believe Screamscape on this one. Before someone quotes me here, let me just point out that they were right about the rumblings of Cedar Point getting a roller coaster for 2013. My thought is they know what's going in, but they aren't going to hint anything just yet to get people excited. That's just my two cents.

I'm actually quite surprised you, or anyone else here for that matter, didn't brought up the fact that SS was the one that ignited the rumor about a potential 2009 coaster back before the end of the 2007 season for the Island.

I at least hope for next season the area the former Son of Beast switchbacks reside in are transformed into a pleasant seating area overlooking that massive valley. Maybe they'll temporarily do that for Days of Thunder as it's no long-

...hey, wait a sec. Someone refresh my memory. Is DOT officially closed or was that Labor Day rumor simply a rumor?

To all you guys who mentioned about the park officials, I have a feeling a new roller coaster will be built for 2014. So I'm going to believe Screamscape on this one. Before someone quotes me here, let me just point out that they were right about the rumblings of Cedar Point getting a roller coaster for 2013. My thought is they know what's going in, but they aren't going to hint anything just yet to get people excited. That's just my two cents.

I'm actually quite surprised you, or anyone else here for that matter, didn't brought up the fact that SS was the one that ignited the rumor about a potential 2009 coaster back before the end of the 2007 season for the Island.

It's hard to be wrong when a prediction is made for a new coaster every year at parks that have not built a new coaster recently.

I can remember reading about an aquatrax being built to replace White Water Landing & a certain looping wood coaster opening back up.

• Like 5

My virus scanner keeps saying that the page with the video is a malicious URL and that it blocked a trojan...

Most likely, some resource loaded by that page is considered malicious or is coming from a host known to be malicious. (Malicious scripts loaded with an ad, exploit script inserted because the site isn't properly secured, etc) Assuming your browser and all plugins are up-to-date, the risk is minimal.

The owner of the site needs to fix this by removing whatever script/resource is causing the block. Perhaps try finding the video elsewhere, or try without the paranoid virus scanner.

• Like 1

It's been explained several times. Static pictures issued by the park are far safer than a live feed of a process that sometimes doesn't go as planned.

Indeed, and this isn't a direct comment to anyone here but in general people think they are entitled to everything. You should be grateful that the park is even releasing the images and videos of this demolition. I remember coming to the park opening day in 2002 and seeing King Cobra in pieces and being heartbroken because I had no idea that the ride was leaving. They are doing the fans and community a favor and I for one am thankful for the time they take out of their days to share with us.

• Like 15

I don't know if anyone has posted this link to Demo images from WLWT- but look at some of them... they haven't had intentions of reopening SOB for a llllllooooonnnnnggggg time. And before anyone bolts forth with "How do you know?" Well, I don't- but look at the pictures of the rusted laden track.

I'd say the decision to close permanently came 2010'ish...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/entertainment/-/9837584/16855402/-/lqm3m9z/-/index.html