Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

On the WLWT article- Since when did Son of Beast have 312 miles of track?! O.o

Not track, but wood. SOB had 1.65 million "board feet" of wood, meaning that if you took every piece of wood that made up SOB and laid them end to end, they would measure 1.65 million feet, which translates to 312.5 miles.

Place: Current Event Friday, History Class

Subject: Son of Beast Demolition

"True" Facts about the Ride:

• Son of Beast's major problems were in the loop.
  • It would cost too much to fix and operate, and the park needs to worry more about employee payroll and the electric bill.
  • No accident occurred in the rosebowl.

Aaaand my personal favorite,

• Kings Island couldn't fix Son of Beast after the 2004 incident, so they turned to Paramount, where Paramount removed the loop.

• Like 3

It would have been hilarious if they would have disconnected the rose bowl from the upwards hill prior to the rose bowl and ran just one more train down the first drop and watch it fly off the track into the sky to eventually fall back down into a vat of molten lava. There the train will BURN! And the entire structure too, engulfed in the largest conglagration anyone has ever seen. Then, from the ashes of Son of Beast, a phoenix will rise!

It's going to be a saaaaaaaaaad day for me next Saturday.

How far do you think they'll be by that time?

I was there this Friday, and they've made definite progress. You can't really tell from looking at the lift hill, but you get a great look at it from the top of Adventure Express (best/creepiest at night).

While departing Kings Island this evening, our last ride was on Flight deck. I looked over and, to my amazement, Son of Beasts Lift hill lights were fully illuminated! Has this happend since they've started the deconstruction? It's kinda like, sonnys last whimper...

• Like 4

In regards to those clammering for a "piece" - a board, a piece of track, etc... from the demo of SOB... with a monsoon of respect... what are you do with a piece of 12-year old pressure treated wood or rusted track? It's not like it will be "in-house" memorabilia- its not exactly the kind of keepsake you display above a fireplace or enshrine above the trophy case. Even if you have a Kings Island shrine in your basement- upon viewing most will inevitably ask "what is that?" Before you whip out funds to buy these treasures for your stash, keep in mind that it will likely fade away into a forgotten corner of a garage only to be tossed in a few yearx.

Unless you land one of the trains or signs I can't think of much reason to buy; but even then- from where I sit I don't see much value in it unless you have plans to open a Kings Island museum. If its pressure treated lumber you want, I've got some leftover from a project I'll gladly sell you.

Sorry for being so cynical- I have just read a few "I just want to buy a few pieces of wood" comments- and my eyes hurt from the eye rolls- or maybe its pressure from my allergies.

• Like 1

In regards to those clammering for a "piece" - a board, a piece of track, etc... from the demo of SOB... with a monsoon of respect... what are you do with a piece of 12-year old pressure treated wood or rusted track? It's not like it will be "in-house" memorabilia- its not exactly the kind of keepsake you display above a fireplace or enshrine above the trophy case. Even if you have a Kings Island shrine in your basement- upon viewing most will inevitably ask "what is that?" Before you whip out funds to buy these treasures for your stash, keep in mind that it will likely fade away into a forgotten corner of a garage only to be tossed in a few yearx.

Unless you land one of the trains or signs I can't think of much reason to buy; but even then- from where I sit I don't see much value in it unless you have plans to open a Kings Island museum. If its pressure treated lumber you want, I've got some leftover from a project I'll gladly sell you.

Sorry for being so cynical- I have just read a few "I just want to buy a few pieces of wood" comments- and my eyes hurt from the eye rolls- or maybe its pressure from my allergies.

I would like to get my hands on enough wood to build a small coffee table. SOB was one of my favorite coasters. I just want it for the memories. Plus it would be a neat conversation starter. I do agree with you that whoever just buys one piece of wood will probably get rid of or just forget about it. That's why I'd like to build something with it.

I tend to anthropomorphize all of the coasters at parks, and Sonny is no different. Sonny to me was that mean man who was raised in a horrible home, without a mother. But yet, had such great expectations thrown upon him from his Dad. After years of trying to live up to his dad's legacy, he became increasingly more angry to the point where he would just beat the daylights out of half of the people that came to him. At one point, he was sending dozens of people to the hospital in a single day. After being on house arrest and no one seeing him in so long, he was given another shot at living a normal life. At first, he played nice. Some say that he was a completely new person. But all of a sudden one day in 2009, he snapped on a middle-aged lady. He once again, had sent someone to the hospital.

At this point, he was tried in court and given the death penalty. He appealed and appealed but in 2012, he was ultimately scrapped into the chair and given the lethal injection. Something happened though. Something that no one had seen as long as anyone can remember. Sonny wasn't that mean old man that people were afraid of anymore. He looked like he did when he was young. Vibrant, glowing, youthful. His eyes were bright and shiny. Everyone yearned to have that certain Sonny back. And even some tears were shed as he passed. But it is, what it is. And Sonny was gone.

And that's the story of Son of Beast. From how I imagine it, anyways. ;)

• Like 10

I would like to get my hands on enough wood to build a small coffee table. SOB was one of my favorite coasters. I just want it for the memories. Plus it would be a neat conversation starter. I do agree with you that whoever just buys one piece of wood will probably get rid of or just forget about it. That's why I'd like to build something with it.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm not sure you want a coffee table made out of pressure treated wood.

• Like 2