Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

In regards to those clammering for a "piece" - a board, a piece of track, etc... from the demo of SOB... with a monsoon of respect... what are you do with a piece of 12-year old pressure treated wood or rusted track? It's not like it will be "in-house" memorabilia- its not exactly the kind of keepsake you display above a fireplace or enshrine above the trophy case. Even if you have a Kings Island shrine in your basement- upon viewing most will inevitably ask "what is that?" Before you whip out funds to buy these treasures for your stash, keep in mind that it will likely fade away into a forgotten corner of a garage only to be tossed in a few yearx.

Unless you land one of the trains or signs I can't think of much reason to buy; but even then- from where I sit I don't see much value in it unless you have plans to open a Kings Island museum. If its pressure treated lumber you want, I've got some leftover from a project I'll gladly sell you.

Sorry for being so cynical- I have just read a few "I just want to buy a few pieces of wood" comments- and my eyes hurt from the eye rolls- or maybe its pressure from my allergies.

I would like to get my hands on enough wood to build a small coffee table. SOB was one of my favorite coasters. I just want it for the memories. Plus it would be a neat conversation starter. I do agree with you that whoever just buys one piece of wood will probably get rid of or just forget about it. That's why I'd like to build something with it.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm not sure you want a coffee table made out of pressure treated wood.

As long as it wasn't treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA). If it is, I guess it will be an outdoor table. :D

Unless you land one of the trains or signs I can't think of much reason to buy; but even then- from where I sit I don't see much value in it unless you have plans to open a Kings Island museum. If its pressure treated lumber you want, I've got some leftover from a project I'll gladly sell you.

I can understand where you are coming from, but items such as these really are within the eye of the beholder. There are a couple of examples I could use that may, or may not, justify why people want these "boards". I have been a collector for several years, both of Kings Island memorabilia as well as other pop culture rare items. Most of the items in my collection are unrecognizable to the general public, but I know what they are and I most certainly know what they are worth - both sentimentally and secondary market value. The items that excite me the most, as you may guess, are the ones that are instantly recognizable (such as a sign or train as you put it). I have no train coasters *yet, but you get the point I'm after. When the Shooting Star was demolished throughout 71 and 72 several Cincinnati residents wanted a "piece" of that ride as well. I have a newspaper article that states that just one board from the Shooting Star was auctioned off at $75 in 1978. That is like $265 and some change in current USD. Aside from that, an items value rests in what it represents (what it once was) - not just what it currently is (just a piece of wood). Let me give you two examples: screen used movie props and recovered steel beams from the World Trade Center. I used to collect movie prop replicas and the majority of them were screen accurate. A Ghostbusters trap replica would cost you somewhere in the $200 range. Track down one that was used in the movie and you would be looking to pay around $65k (I knew someone who had one and auctioned it off just recently). Both items are identical from an operational standpoint, but one holds greater value because of what it represents (some people have more money than sense and I understand how crazy this seems). Again, when the 9/11 tragedy occurred, my University was given a single steel beam as a memorial of that event. It is nothing more than a piece of steel. However, because of what it was (not what it currently is) it holds certain cognitive value. There really isn't a way to justify why people collect. I quite trying to explain myself to others several years ago (mainly my father who only sees dollar value - not that of sentiment or cultural). And I collect what I like to collect. In this case, I can see KI doing small wooden plaques with stenciled letters explaining what the piece of wood is and what SOB was, as a suitable memento. That's just my two cents...

~Josh

• Like 6

In regards to those clammering for a "piece" - a board, a piece of track, etc... from the demo of SOB... with a monsoon of respect... what are you do with a piece of 12-year old pressure treated wood or rusted track? It's not like it will be "in-house" memorabilia- its not exactly the kind of keepsake you display above a fireplace or enshrine above the trophy case. Even if you have a Kings Island shrine in your basement- upon viewing most will inevitably ask "what is that?" Before you whip out funds to buy these treasures for your stash, keep in mind that it will likely fade away into a forgotten corner of a garage only to be tossed in a few yearx.

Sorry for being so cynical- I have just read a few "I just want to buy a few pieces of wood" comments- and my eyes hurt from the eye rolls- or maybe its pressure from my allergies.

I would like to get my hands on enough wood to build a small coffee table. SOB was one of my favorite coasters. I just want it for the memories. Plus it would be a neat conversation starter. I do agree with you that whoever just buys one piece of wood will probably get rid of or just forget about it. That's why I'd like to build something with it.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm not sure you want a coffee table made out of pressure treated wood.

As long as it wasn't treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA). If it is, I guess it will be an outdoor table. :D

You could build an Outhouse with a lap bar.

• Like 4

In regards to those clammering for a "piece" - a board, a piece of track, etc... from the demo of SOB... with a monsoon of respect... what are you do with a piece of 12-year old pressure treated wood or rusted track?

I have a six inch piece of track from a certain roller coaster hanging on my wall. It's been there for a little over five years. I love SOB, and I would love to own six inch piece of its track.

• Like 2

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Hal&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=3888BC9F9D9FE1AFB0D8D697B5D8ADADD47D21D7 (IT WON"T LET ME JUST POST THE PHOTO. IT SAYS IT'S NOT ALLOWED :( )

Now Standbyme I don't think we can assume that....

Just what do you think you mean by that Standbyme?

Daisy....Daisy.... give me your answer do....

• Like 1

Guest KingsIslandPR

We will make some parts of the ride available to purchase (track, wood from the structure, bolts). Each of the items will be limited in quantity. We will let everyone know when they become available.

• Like 30

We will make some parts of the ride available to purchase (track, wood from the structure, bolts). Each of the items will be limited in quantity. We will let everyone know when they become available.

Makes me wonder... Who will get "first dibs"? Park employees, contest through Twitter, or opening up the auction to everyone at once. Also, I'm sure if the park were to sell cars, lapbars, logos used on the ride, etc would also rake in some money for the park.

Guest KingsIslandPR

Makes me wonder... Who will get "first dibs"? Park employees, contest through Twitter, or opening up the auction to everyone at once. Also, I'm sure if the park were to sell cars, lapbars, logos used on the ride, etc would also rake in some money for the park.

Orders will be taken by phone. Quantiies are limited so if you are wanting one of the items that will be available, you will need to act fast.

• Like 2

If only a Boomerang Bay item sale were to occur, then I could have my own BB area. (Or is KI keeping some of the BB items for a future 2013-2014 BB return? Pun intended) Anyways I was thinking exactly what PR said, that items will go on sale, it looked like there were a few pieces stacked. Look at the Blood Drums stage for a SOB easter egg........

Orders will be taken by phone. Quantiies are limited so if you are wanting one of the items that will be available, you will need to act fast.

Do you think the parts will become available after or before the season is over?

• Like 1