Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Well, El Toro @ SFGadv now officially has the record for largest wooden coaster drop in the world, since Son of Beast no longer has a drop... :P (Unless you count the air, in which case SOB now has the steepest drop of any wooden coaster ever built at straight down!)

I have the feeling SOB will be 100% gone, save perhaps some footers or so, by January 2013 now...which means plenty of time (a whole year and about 4 months in 2013) to build whatever is replacing it and have it ready for the 2014 season. (I too hope for an Intamin Wooden Coaster, possibly one above 200', but anything beats open field...)

• Like 2

That was a pretty unbelievable video! Although, I find it much more excilerating to see them going up rather than coming down! I recall very clearly searching for any update I could find on the SOB during construction back in 99 (newspapers, nightly news updates, etc). Videos and pics weren't so readily available as they are these days (No Youtube, Twitter, KICentral, etc)! However, I never thought I would be searching for updates about it's deconstruction just 13 years later.

Well, El Toro @ SFGadv now officially has the record for largest wooden coaster drop in the world, since Son of Beast no longer has a drop... :P (Unless you count the air, in which case SOB now has the steepest drop of any wooden coaster ever built at straight down!)

I have the feeling SOB will be 100% gone, save perhaps some footers or so, by January 2013 now...which means plenty of time (a whole year and about 4 months in 2013) to build whatever is replacing it and have it ready for the 2014 season. (I too hope for an Intamin Wooden Coaster, possibly one above 200', but anything beats open field...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there were coasters that went beyond "straight down" before "looping" back around and up? I know that wasn't your point per say, but I found one here:

http://techland.time.com/2011/07/12/just-how-crazy-is-the-worlds-steepest-rollercoaster/

Looks like a ton of fun to me.

Don and Greg have really been great providing all of this for us! Now my 1 suggestion for Don is if that last section is a pull down, put a gopro cam on the top or inside a 55 gal half barrel in the fall zone catching it falling on top of it.

I doubt, in its current state, if the remaining structure is allowed to be inhabited.

OK Don, since I know you pay attention from time to time- how about scrap wood. How much would a flat of treated board cost to buy. I don't need a plaque or letter of authenticity. I don't particularly care about the nostalgia of it, if there is such a thing. Just inquiring about the availability of buying some >12' of board. I know that's blasphemy on this board but have home projects that surprisingly could benefit from the purchase of some 2X4 and 4X4's

• Like 1