Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Quoting from this article today http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121120/NEWS01/121120026/Final-section-Son-Beast-comes-down?odyssey=nav%7Chead&nclick_check=1

" "Once the ride has been removed, probably in early 2013, we’ll begin the process then of surveying the land and looking at all the ideas and different concepts and all the things we can do,” said Helbig. “There’s plenty of room to work with and we’re excited about that opportunity as we look towards the future.” "

So I wonder if there are actually any legitimate plans being considered for the area yet. If not, we shouldn't expect to see anything til well beyond 2014. All we can do is wait!

• Like 3

And a truly poorly written piece.

Yes, but I'm assuming they aren't completely pulling the contents of Mr. Helbig's quote from thin air.

2 things. 1 The Enquirer has been going down hill for the better part of the last 4-8 years. Add onto that it is an electronic article, which makes me think there will be edits before going to print. But yeah the Cincy Enquirer has been decreasing its product while increasing the price, so no surprise there are problems.

The other thing could be that the quote was from Don a few weeks prior. There was not even a current photo attached to the article (at 835). So its possible they interviewed Don in October and are now running the article.

• Like 2

Quoting from this article today http://news.cincinna...&nclick_check=1

" "Once the ride has been removed, probably in early 2013, we'll begin the process then of surveying the land and looking at all the ideas and different concepts and all the things we can do," said Helbig. "There's plenty of room to work with and we're excited about that opportunity as we look towards the future." "

So I wonder if there are actually any legitimate plans being considered for the area yet. If not, we shouldn't expect to see anything til well beyond 2014. All we can do is wait!

I'd love to see the different concepts, but that's not going to happen. Already the thread of our own concepts are a mile long. At least we know they are replacing SOB with something.

A huge, non working coaster with a bad history is nothing to feel bad about when it goes down, and there is a lot of opportunity sitting there, waiting to happen.

I expect changes in 2013, maybe not a ride, but changing the menu and pavers added a lot to the park in 2012, so maybe it will be more changes like that. Maybe we'll get roving performers back.

• Like 1

Somehow, as the proud workers and designers and park employees watched as the first Son of Beast train left the station, I doubt any of them believed that just a bit over 12 years later, it would come to this.

In my trade i have a good idea when things are going to work or not just from years of experience.Im curious to know if any of the craftsman were having their doubts when they were supplied with material to build SOB? I know nothing about building rollercoasters,im just a curious fan!

My uncle works for the city of mason and does inspections. He got a call in the first week of July asking for demolition permits for a roller coaster at Kings Island about 2 weeks before SOB's death was announced so I was waiting for KI to announce it. No one believed me until KI announced it and I was like " HA HA HA HA HA. IN YOUR FACE!! Where's my $20?"

Sadly, I never received that $20 <_<

• Like 4