Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I don't know why but this project reminds a lot of Six Flags Magic Mountain with Full Throttle, also known as YOLOcoaster. This is a good piece of land that has alot of elevation changes, similar to SFMM. I'm excited to see what comes, I still don't think it's going to be a Giga and I shake my head whenever I see someone say it will be.

• Like 2

^

Umm...what Son of Beast cost- it was millions. A lot of millions. About $20,000,000 exactly, in 2000 terms. Using a inflation calculator, that's $26,866,085.95 in 2012 dollars- Son of Beast was probably, adjusted for inflation, the most expensive thing Kings Island ever built (Diamondback was $22 million, but that was in 2009 dollars, so it's adjusted price is $23,720,728.83 for 2012...less than SOB, and not counting the many fixes/repairs SOB got).

Hmm...out of curiosity, here's what some of Kings Island's other coasters would cost in 2012 dollars...

Racer (Opened: 1972)- $6,640,679.43

Not a bad price, considering the park got two coasters...

Beast (Opened: 1979)- $12,744,738.29

Beast was, for a woodie, pretty expensive...most woodies don't hit the $10M mark (some do, but they seem fairly rare). Then again, they were building the tallest drops and longest track for any wooden coaster in the world at the time...

King Cobra (Opened: 1984, Closed: 2001)- $6,679,027.91

Not a horrible price considering the size of the ride whatsoever...even though its "cheapness" meant it would die an early death.

Vortex (Opened: 1987)- $8,144,964.79

OK- ask B&M to build a 148' tall coaster that goes upside down six times, you'll probably get a price tag of well over $16,000,000+! Seems the rumors that Kings Island got a deal from Arrow on Vortex, due to The Bat's failures, are true...

Adventure Express (Opened: 1991)- $6,793,450.81

OK, wow...I had no idea Adventure Express cost more than King Cobra and rivaled the price tag of Vortex. That theming must not have been cheap...

These are the only prices I could find using rcdb.com and an inflation calculator, converting the cash of the year these rides opened to 2012 dollars...yeah, Paramount was very stingy on sharing how much their coasters cost, apparently...SOB and Diamondback prices are listed way above near the top...

Just more random info I thought might be interesting...oh, Tomb Raider: The Ride was worth $25,716,175.65 in 2012 dollars too, BTW...Kings Island demolished $50,000,000 worth of rides in 2012. Yikes. :o

• Like 3

Paramount Parks never confirmed the first cost of Son of Beast. The coaster also had continual maintenance, repair, settlement and litigation expenses. There comes a time when it makes more sense to get rid of an old car that's costing more than replacing it or that is no longer dependable, comfortable or as desirable as a new one.

• Like 3

Today I got around to opening my Son of Beast bolt & piece of track. (I was busy yesterday.) I would like to thank the park for not only deciding to sell pieces of the ride, but for putting so much effort into it.

I could not be more impressed with the piece of track, the photos that have been posted do not do it justice. As I sit here looking at it I can only think that this is certainly not a "money grab" by the park...it is obviously a labor of love from one coaster fanatic to another.

Thanks again to everyone at the park that made these items possible. :)

• Like 16

Indeed.

What Brown said, both ways.

By the way, Mr. Ouimet would have us believe Gatekeeper is a Ouimet (and, therefore not a Kinzel) project.

Terp, "Watch what they do, not what they say." over there....a diversion.

Which makes me want to ask, Over where? In the general direction... because, we're all focused on a now empty lot, when the lot itself could be the diversion.

• Like 1

The old ride station will continue to be used for the haunt event until it is decided to be used as the new roller coaster's ride station, in my opinion. The park used to old ride station from The Bat as the ride station for Vortex and it will be the same for any new roller coaster in the area that used to be SOB. It would only make sense to use it rather than build a new one. Until then, use it for the haunt event. This is my opinion and why not use it until it is used again as a ride station? When the new roller coaster is built in the near future, it will be used what it was designed for when it was built. It is the same way with the ride formerly called the Crypt. Use that building until they decide what its future use would be. I say any new roller coaster (must be wood in my opinion) would be in operation around 2015 and would have the old station as its ride station. After all, it is already there so take advantage of it. If not, then it just takes up valuable land just for use during the fall haunt season, which is all my opinion as is the new ride.

Guest KingsIslandPR

When the new roller coaster is built in the near future, it will be used what it was designed for when it was built. It is the same way with the ride formerly called the Crypt. Use that building until they decide what its future use would be. I say any new roller coaster (must be wood in my opinion) would be in operation around 2015 and would have the old station as its ride station. After all, it is already there so take advantage of it. If not, then it just takes up valuable land just for use during the fall haunt season, which is all my opinion as is the new ride.

The future use for both buildings will continue to be what they are now as a Haunt attraction.

• Like 19

The old ride station will continue to be used for the haunt event until it is decided to be used as the new roller coaster's ride station, in my opinion.

I usually remain pretty quiet on this site, but I felt obliged to reply to your post. Nothing personal, but you try to pass off a lot of your "opinions" as fact (especially posts on legal matters) and I think it's misleading no matter how many times you state the word "opinion." Just my two cents.

The park used to old ride station from The Bat as the ride station for Vortex and it will be the same for any new roller coaster in the area that used to be SOB.

- Just because we've seen one thing happen in the past doesn't mean history is always bound to repeat itself, especially within the amusement industry. You're talking about apples and oranges. The Vortex in many ways "filled The Bat's shoes" so to speak. Arrow designed both rides, after the first Arrow coaster there really didn't meet expectations. Given that they designed both, it doesn't surprise me at all that they retrofitted the old station or that Vortex's lift utilized the space of The Bat's first lift. However, just because the SOB station is remaining doesn't confirm for fact that the station would be used in a new design.

- Also, Arrow built both rides. No one's touched Roller Coaster Corporation of America in years (did they even exist after PKI sued them and finished the ride on their own?).

It would only make sense to use it rather than build a new one.

- No, it wouldn't make sense. It made somewhat sense in The Bat/Vortex designs given that they were the same manufacturer and designer (Ron Toomer). However, here you're assuming a lot of things. Mainly...

1) A new coaster is in fact coming.

2) That new coaster will be wooden.

3) A new wooden coaster will utilize a similar track, brake and station component structure built to the same specs as the SOB/RCCA design. Given that RCCA isn't really in the game anymore and no other manufacturer builds to that gauge, I'd find that highly unlikely.

4) The park loves that station so much they'd design an entire new ride around it. The station itself is a cheaply built, low cost structure. I doubt any manufacturer would build an entire ride around such an unglamorous structure that has no connotation to the park's past or history. The building is insignificant.

When the new roller coaster is built in the near future, it will be used what it was designed for when it was built.

- Again, assuming that a new coaster would be built to the same specs (it won't), and that a new coaster is in fact coming (possibly, but not confirmed).

It is the same way with the ride formerly called the Crypt. Use that building until they decide what its future use would be.

- Although Don posted after you, he confirmed that The Crypt building will continue to be used for a haunted house. Given that the building was designed specifically to house and operate a HUSS Giant Top Spin (which you will never see in that building again), I doubt it has any "future use" other than the one Don confirmed. The park's stated "future use" has always been for use as a haunted house.

I say any new roller coaster (must be wood in my opinion) would be in operation around 2015 and would have the old station as its ride station.

- See above comments as to why that's most likely not possible. Again: I doubt the park (or anyone for that matter) would go with RCCA if they even still exist and you're assuming that a new coaster has to be wood.

After all, it is already there so take advantage of it.

- What advantage is there? None. Why would you build an entirely new ride design around an unremarkable former ride station? Retrofitting that station to include any manufacturer would be more of a headache than it's worth.

If not, then it just takes up valuable land just for use during the fall haunt season

- What makes the land so valuable? There's plenty of room to use for "future expansion." And the park has made it pretty clear that Halloween Haunt in recent years has become a valuable part of their operation. The station's use as a haunted house adds to the value of an incredibly profitable and popular event. It's current use is better than when it was abandoned and in the future I'd bet many nickels that it's better used as a haunted house than a new ride station.

TL:DR Despite KI ORIG EMP's "opinion" that the ride station for SOB must be re-used, the obvious (and Mr. Helbig's post) states otherwise.

• Like 4

I state my message on this subject as "my opinion" so as not to confuse my association with Kings Island as to it being fact, which it is not. As for my feelings for a wooden coaster, is because I prefer a roller coaster made out of wood, just as others love the steel coaster. I have always believed that a roller coaster will replace SOB sometime in the near future, just as others have given their preference for a new area, new flat rides, and so forth. I just can not think that a designer would not try to fit the old ride station into a new attraction like a roller coaster just as with the old Crypt building might be used in any ride, if it can. I know Don has stated it both the old ride station and the Crypt would be used for the haunt events, but things can change in the years to come. Cedar Point has removed old attractions for the new Gate Keeper and with the removal of SOB, I can see a new roller coaster to take its place sometime in near future. Like I said, it is all my opinion and not to confuse it with my association with the park. I am not stating I heard from some ride op or from the guy serving ice cream out of a cup. It was just like all the opinions of fellow KICers that were itching for a mew roller coaster after Cedar Fair took over and after Firehawk was constructed, the same messages regarding what new roller coaster were were getting. Then after Diamondback, well we are due as these same posters would say. We will find out after plans are designed and construction begins in the next few years to come.