Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Btw for anyone interested in cleaning their track piece, here's what I did and it worked great. Take a stout cloth (a shop rag, or anything better than a paper towel... maybe steel wool would be best), liberally moisten with WD-40, and scrub the surface of the track. If yours is like mine was, you'll remove a TON of surface rust. I had two do this procedure twice to get it cleaned up to where a clean rag came back mostly clean instead of mostly rusty.

Then, apply a light drizzle of motor oil (or 3-in-1, etc) on the metal, work it onto the entire top surface of the track (by hand), and remove any excess with another clean stout cloth. Be careful not to dirty up the wood plaque itself in the process of all this by the way.

My track piece is now rust-free, and my finger remains clean when I run it across the surface. And don't worry, it doesn't remove the wheel marks. Those are worn onto the surface. Leave a very light film of oil on the steel, and that should help delay new surface rust from forming.

And lastly, for what it's worth, I noticed my track piece was either bent during SOB dismantling and/or souvenir processing, or else it has retained a slight curvature from the contour of the ride. The metal is definitely not flat, if you look at it on edge. (mine looks ever-so-slightly convex, so... I figure that if this shape is retained from the ride itself, then it was either approaching a hill, atop a hill, or starting down a hill B) )

If you want it to retain some value, I would reconsider cleaning it. People that have antique firearms make this same mistake and clean it, thinking it would enhance its value. But when they have it appraised, the appraiser would tell them this is a huge mistake. The wear and tear shows it was well used for the purpose it was designed for. I think it would retain its value if left in its original condition. But then again, I could be wrong. Best bet would be to ask an expert if it would retain or not retain its value if cleaned.

My track piece was so rusty when I got it that just by virtue of handling the plaque, rust powder and red fingerprints soon showed up on everything in the vicinity. I don't plan to use this thing for monetary gain, so for me it was a no-brainer... clean the thing :). If I want to restore its rusty condition, I'll just set the metal piece outside for a couple years. :lol:

(but that's a good point I guess... if you want to keep yours in truly "as-is" condition, then don't clean yours... just be careful to avoid rusty fingerprints!)

• Like 1

I can run my fingers across it and no issue with rust powder coming off^

^Thanks for your opinion. I had thought of that, but I was not sure if the park ever cleaned the rust off of the tracks every year or so anyway...if so, a clean(er) track wouldn't matter.

I never plan on selling it, so resale value would only become an issue to my heirs. :P

I would make it known to my future heirs my park stuff are to be kept around!

I would love to see someone's picture of the track after it's been clean.

It looks like clean roller coaster track instead of rusty roller coaster track. :P

My track piece was almost uniformly rusted across the entire surface, with a very dark color, and the wheel marks were barely visible. That's quite different than other plaques I've seen where it's a very bright colored rust, with dark wheel marks clearly visible. Not sure why some are dark and others are lighter. But for me, it was more of a practical issue. I can't speak for anyone else, but... my better half would certainly not be happy with this fingerprint-making-machine hanging on the wall without it being cleaned first. ;)

Anyone who is in doubt can leave their track as-is and see how it goes. You can always clean it later if it gets to be a problem.

I would make it known to my future heirs my park stuff are to be kept around!

Two future signs that I have taken the last stop at Willoughby...I have stopped posting on here...and there's a selller with a ton of Kings Island memorabilia listings on eBay. ;)

Given all the cool things you have, I think we need to have a fundraiser to buy you some property and a small building... get a KI museum started.

• Like 8

I asked Don via twitter about the break run here's the conversation:

C Hugh@chugh43

@KingsIslandPR In the last video that you guys shared, the brake run of Son of Beast was still standing. When will that go down?

3h Kings Island@KingsIslandPR

@chugh43 It is down.

2h C Hugh@chugh43

@KingsIslandPR awesome! Thanks!

7:39 PM - 27 Nov 12 ·

So the brake run is down.

• Like 3