Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Son of Beast did not come to a complete stop after the wood snapped. The train in the rosebowl continued along the track because no sensors showed a structural fault has occurred. It wasn't until the train returned to the station that the train dispatched just before was e-stopped on the lift hill to prevent further injuries.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This has been in my head for weeks. If all the advancements in wooden coasters and roller coaster technology were available when Son of Beast was built, do you think the ride would have lasted in its original state? (the layout with the loop).

I personally think so.

I mean just look at El Toro; imagine how bad that would have turned out if it would have been built by the RCCA.

In an alternate timeline, Paramount Kings Island made history when their newest roller coaster, the Son of Beast was constructed. This roller coaster proved to be the to be the smoothest ride that had the most thrills of any wooden roller coaster. The park had another grand roller coaster to go along with its father, The Beast. When the park was purchased by Cedar Fair, the owner of Cedar Point, they were quoted as saying it was indeed one of the best wooden roller coasters they had ever saw and had the pleasure of riding.

If only this was true, but in an alternate timeline, it could had been.

Cedar Fair wasn't exactly known for its stable of wooden coasters. Quite frankly, neither was Paramount Parks. Beast, Racer and KD's Grizzly were exceptions, but most of the PP wooden coasters were unexceptional. The listed three were all Taft/KECO efforts.

If Son of Beast had been smooth and comfortable, it would have been, in my opinion, at best mediocre and boring. The layout was certainly in no way thrilling. The loop was, by far, the best part of the ride.

In an alternate timeline, Paramount Kings Island made history when their newest roller coaster, the Son of Beast was constructed. This roller coaster proved to be the to be the smoothest ride that had the most thrills of any wooden roller coaster. The park had another grand roller coaster to go along with its father, The Beast. When the park was purchased by Cedar Fair, the owner of Cedar Point, they were quoted as saying it was indeed one of the best wooden roller coasters they had ever saw and had the pleasure of riding.

If only this was true, but in an alternate timeline, it could had been.

08CB941F-FFB9-4729-9AC1-26FBA2657D4B-267
  • Like 1

Even though SOB is long gone, I was just curious to anyone on here if they know or not what happened to all the wood from SOB? Bonfire? Recycled into paper maybe?

It was treated lumber. With the way it came down, the only thing it was destined for was a landfill. It is against state law to burn treated lumber and the chemicals in it keep it from being used for anything.

Even though SOB is long gone, I was just curious to anyone on here if they know or not what happened to all the wood from SOB? Bonfire? Recycled into paper maybe?

It was treated lumber. With the way it came down, the only thing it was destined for was a landfill. It is against state law to burn treated lumber and the chemicals in it keep it from being used for anything.
I wouldn't say anything, some of it is hanging in peoples homes, maybe Don built him a new deck?
  • Like 2

I wouldn't say anything, some of it is hanging in peoples homes, maybe Don built him a new deck?

They sold the bolts and track but AFAIK, they did not sell any of the wood. With the way it came down, I doubt any of it was really useable.

• 1 month later...

It's really been a year? Wow. It doesn't seem like that long to me.

Hmmm. According to page 1 of this thread, Don's announcement of the decision is "POPULAR". So clearly it was the right decision. :P (Really, though, I've never seen that badge on a post before. When was that introduced?)

• Like 1

It's really been a year? Wow. It doesn't seem like that long to me.

Hmmm. According to page 1 of this thread, Don's announcement of the decision is "POPULAR". So clearly it was the right decision. :P (Really, though, I've never seen that badge on a post before. When was that introduced?)

When we got likes activated. You must need a LOT of likes to get that badge.