Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

If you want to hear info on SOB, I suggest one takes the behind the scenes tour of The Beast.

Was told that the park explored EVERY possible option and what we are getting is the best option. Those that rebuild/track these rides could not guarantee the ride would be better once redone. Most every thing about the ride is/was a disaster from the start.

• Like 9

The only info I have is that based on a ride on Adventure Express today (er... yesterday), it would appear as if SoB's trains have been moved from their former sitting place on the ground next to the ride. Where they have been moved to, I can't say, but they were not where they have been for most of the last 2 years, unless I just missed them.

Just a thought here, I know SOB's trains would have to be modified before going on another coaster. I also know that the state of Ohio requires parks to abide by manufacturers recommendations (though I don't see how Gerstlauer signed off on the modifications for SOB). Where I'm going with this though is since PTC no longer suggests backwards operations, if Gerstlauer did what do you think the chances of them using the G trains to return one side to backwards operations on The Racer?

My guess is that those trains have lots of damage from sitting. They could possibly be repaired, but that would depend on a lot of factors - I wouldn't begin to speculate on which factors those would be. Furthermore, I would also imagine that a coaster train designed to run forwards would net get an "all clear" to run backwards from any manufacturer. If there were a way to turn the seats around, all would be different - I think - but those kinds of cars are built with forward seating in the design - it's not just a frame with a seat tacked on.

Now, there is the park's take on things. KI obviously had no problem with running one side of The Racer backwards until PTC said no. Over the years PTC has made various modifications to their restraints - I don't ever see them removing their new standards, so if they say no to running the train in reverse, I would bet that they won't change their mind.

But.......you just never know about anything for sure until it happens. My mom always said to me, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see". Good words from a smart woman!

• Like 2

This may be kind of weird for me to ask a question to Kings Island PR, using KIC but.......

I was wondering if you guys would consider putting a Son of Beast demolition webcam on your website?

I just thought it would be kinda cool for everyone to get to see the Tallest wooden roller coaster in the world as it is taken apart...

• Like 6

Kings Island could easily set up a webcam on the Eiffel Tower and that'd give us great views of the demolition. Isn't Cedar Point doing that for Disaster Transport?

Yes, but that webcam is to watch the construction of Gatekeeper, not the deconstruction of DT.

For KI, they are just tearing down SoB for future expansion. They are not going directly into building a new ride. IF that were the case, Im sure they would put a webcam in,

Kings Island could easily set up a webcam on the Eiffel Tower and that'd give us great views of the demolition. Isn't Cedar Point doing that for Disaster Transport?

For KI, they are just tearing down SoB for future expansion. They are not going directly into building a new ride. IF that were the case, Im sure they would put a webcam in,

Why does that make a difference?

Kings Island doesn't want to highlight a $25,000,000+ mistake... They would rather focus on/highlight the positive news of the prospect of the construction of a $15,000,000+ new ride. (just a guess of mine, not saying I know what is going to be built there.)

• Like 1

Because, CP's Webcam is for Gatekeeper construction. As far as I know, we are not getting a new ride in SoBs spot...

Kings Island doesn't want to highlight a $25,000,000+ mistake... They would rather focus on/highlight the positive news of the prospect of the construction of a $15,000,000+ new ride. (just a guess of mine, not saying I know what is going to be built there.)

I had my hopes up. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've said it once...and I'll repeat it again.

I honestly would love to have a Nostalgia Area. I'm thinking an area that resurrects old rides from the past. You know...kinda like a Roller Coaster Graveyard that has come alive to relive the good old days again. Imagine...Walking through a graveyard entrance with Tombstones of "King Cobra"-"Antique Cars"-"The Bat" and so on....and then...there they are...Standing before you as if you were in a dream. The rides that were old are made new again. Screamin' Demon, Barbarian Beetle, Enchanted Voyage, Flying Carpets & Winsome Witch's Cauldron just to name a few. Even throw in a Roller Skating Rink with the Old Pipe Organ. I'm just saying...for the amount it costs for one "GIANT COASTER"...you can do all that for a fraction of the cost or for equal. More is More, Right? Just a thought.

p.s. I would also like to see an area that shows a film of the History of Kings Island. Nice for those days you need a/c and a cool beverage and a seat.

• Like 3

For the past few visits to the park, I have ridden WindSeeker and constantly noticed some red and yellow in an open field a little farther behind DA! I always thought that it was most likely something to do with the Dinos, but it kept nagging me. Today, I finally got a look that cemented in my mind that those were the old Premiere SoB trains. I may be wrong, plus they may have been there last season also, but the objects back there have the look of the trains.

I honestly would love to have a Nostalgia Area. I'm thinking an area that resurrects old rides from the past. You know...kinda like a Roller Coaster Graveyard that has come alive to relive the good old days again. Imagine...Walking through a graveyard entrance with Tombstones of "King Cobra"-"Antique Cars"-"The Bat" and so on....and then...there they are...Standing before you as if you were in a dream. The rides that were old are made new again. Screamin' Demon, Barbarian Beetle, Enchanted Voyage, Flying Carpets & Winsome Witch's Cauldron just to name a few. Even throw in a Roller Skating Rink with the Old Pipe Organ. I'm just saying...for the amount it costs for one "GIANT COASTER"...you can do all that for a fraction of the cost or for equal. More is More, Right? Just a thought.

That would be amazing. It would offer a chance for everyone to experience attractions of old.

But alas, rides like Screamin' Demon and The Bat would just not be very popular. Not when you can ride Flight Deck (more aggressive swinging and faster speeds- if we were to have a recreation of The Bat, we would need banking which would omit violent swinging) and Vortex (more inversions). I would love to have a wild mouse like *Bavarian Beetle (look in your quote! ;) ), because that is something the park is sorely missing.

Your idea sounds great, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't sound feasible.

• Like 1

That would be amazing. It would offer a chance for everyone to experience attractions of old.

I would love to have a wild mouse like *Bavarian Beetle (look in your quote! ;) ), because that is something the park is sorely missing.

Your idea sounds great, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't sound feasible.

Help....Not reading into what I'm missing that you say I'm missing that's missing from what the park is missing. I must be missing it!

• Like 1

I would love a Wild Mouse and/or Bavarian Beetle! I would like more rides like AE, for the kids too old for Planet Snoopy, but not tall enough for The Beast or Diamondback. I remember finally being able to ride The Racer, and thought I ruled the park. Some more rides like that would be nice.

• Like 2

Today while riding Delirium I saw 3 large wooden crates behind thunder alley next to a building. There were two in the grass and one on top of the two. If I had to guess i'd say they were about 6ft long, 4 ft wide and 4 ft tall. Any guesses on what this is? It looked new, fresh wood and fresh paint. I noticed black arrows pointing upwards, this was only seen briefly while riding Delirium.