Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I'm not sure why, but when I saw the numerous pictures of the snapped wood, sitting on the footings like tree stumps, a wave of sadness washed over me. Something about it seems heartbreaking to me, even if I know not why.

Perhaps it is a good thing the park did not release any Crypt demolition pictures.

• Like 5

If they are planning to actually add a whole new "area" to the park, that will be one of the biggest bulldozer jobs in the history of the park. A whole lot of land will have to be removed, along with all the footers that are left behind.

The graveyard comment is spot on.

On The Beast tour Don told us all the footers would be removed, and there would be no sign it ever existed.

I am not doubting you, but I will believe this when it happens. Sort of like, watch what happens not what is said. They may dig up all of those footers, but realistically, may only dig up the ones that are in the way....

• Like 1

Random Thought: Rides like King Cobra, The Bat, and others have footings lounging around to this day, because there was no need to have them removed. The park has reportedly mentioned all Son of Beast footings are to be removed. What could this "future park expansion" entail if all footings need be removed?

• Like 2

But aren't footers for The Bat still present in the vicinity of The Vortex?

That has me curious, too. All of SOB's footers. I can still see remnants of rides long gone, but all remnants of SOB will be gone.

You can build a coaster with another ride's footers laying around, but what does it mean to have all footers to be removed?

What needs a flat clean area? A walkway? A building?

editted to ask Cedar Point goers, "What does Celebration Plaza look like? What does it entail? (thinking Luminosity.)

But aren't footers for The Bat still present in the vicinity of The Vortex?

Yes. In fact, if you look to your right on the ground just before you enter the station part of the queue, you can see one next to the entrance of the shed where they park the trains at night.

And if you look to the left in that same spot, you can see a footer from the Skyline Chili-vision. But that's another story entirely.

I don't know how deep the footings for SOB are, but the footings for the monorail average 3' X 4' X 6' and there are several hundred of them that the steel rails were attached to. It would be labor intensive to remove all of those and I am sure there are still a lot of them. If Don said they will all be removed, then I would say they will.

What could this "future park expansion" entail if all footings need be removed?

My opinion. Maybe they are adding litterally a park expansion. New area? Expansion again to Action"Less" Zone? Or maybe Oktoberfest gets an expansion finally. There is plenty of room for that.

-----

I'm heading there in the morning and I'm bringing my camera. A very nice camera. So i'll be getting lots of pictures, Of SoB.

• Like 1

Now i know you guys said that Don said that he wants SOB to look like it never existed, but what if they kept just the station? This way the new roller coaster can go into it and they save some money on removing steel. I'm sure whatever they plan on building they can alter the new ride in that station. I'm still hoping a ride like Maverick goes in SOB spot. Maybe the world's longest of it's type. :)

• Like 1