Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

Strange how history repeats itself if you look back in the not so distant past. Although I wasn't alive at the time, this event reminds me of another well loved coaster here in Cincinnati and the sadness it caused when it was dismantled after Coney Island closed in 1971. My father loved the Shooting Star and was excited to see the pictures I acquired when I started collecting Coney photography 13 years ago! And so, history repeats itself in a similar way...

doc031a.jpg

• Like 7

I have been waiting for the lift to come down so I can say it's gone. It seems like the work has stopped or it's not going as fast as it was before.

Probably because of the size of the lift hill. It's much bigger than everything else they've demolished, and probably has the most wood of any section of SoB. I would think that they have to clean up the wood first before demolishing again.

• Like 1

All I can say is that it is coming down 100xs faster than I ever thought. Truly with the magnitude of this coaster I sincerely thought it would have been Spring before we'd seen that last of it to retire. Is it Possible...Just Possible, with our Mild Ohio Winters, that we could see something "NEW" by May 2013 in it's place? Diamondback didn't take long. I still think a "Graveyard" Park would be Awesome. All the Old Rides that have been retired come back to life All NEW again...(Antique Cars)lol. I'd also love to have a Boardwalk themed area for us "older" folks. More Family rides, a roller skating rink with an old time organ playing & such. Just my thoughts. I don't post much except in Random Photos so I wanted to give my 2cents.

I have a friend that drives concrete trucks near there. They were pouring concrete for the footings and casings late in the summer overnight. The footings were disguised with plants and things like that during the day. Steel coasters can go up in no time, but preparation is quite the different story just as any new construction would be. Imagine what they go through with insurance, legalities, etc...

^Diamondback took longer to construct than, I'm guessing, you think. Land clearing and placing footings started at the end of the 2007 season and continued into 2008. Then it took roughly five months (August to January) to go completely vertical.

Honestly, I'm hoping for a new ride, butI'm not expecting to much by 2014.

Let's just embrace the empty sky of what use to be the world's TALLEST and FASTEST wooden roller coaster and imagine a new skyline of what we think will take its place. Whether it be a flat, a floorless coaster, or a whole new section of Kings Island. The possibilities are endless!

• Like 2

Thanks for posting. I wonder if they sent it over night, or if its just because of your distance to the park. Did it come UPS?

Mine (042 of 250) was on the stoop yesterday after they called as well. I'm in Beavercreek, so not far (Dayton area).

I'm about an hour and a half from the park, and mine arrived the day after they called (UPS). They have to over-night them.

The pictures are held on by screws. Pretty sure I'm going to replace the one on the right with a picture of the loop. We'll see.

• Like 1

It is sad to think that Son of Beast is almost completely gone. It was not long ago that I saw this ride featured on Travel Channel as one of the Mega structures in the world. There were some design flaws but the first big hill, the view, the drop, and thr loop will not be forgotten.

With floorless and invert coasters being yesterday's designs, I would guess B&M giga twister is in the works? If not, a winged coaster may take SoB's place although winged coasters have been rather forceless.

• Like 1