Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

I don't think that the park will place any specific item in Son of Beast's place, rather like some on here, I have a feeling that the Action Zone (or whatever the area might be called in the future) midway will be extended to allow for a more thorough expansion of the park.

I mean, this does offer a big opportunity for expansion, as the dry park's current borders are litterally made up of coasters (including SOB), Crypt and the train.

If you've ever walked along the access roads behind SOB leading to the area behind AE, and X-Base, you know that there is a decent amount of open land back there. With the big wooden behemoth out of the way, perhaps that land could be utilized for not just one ride, but an entirely new future area.

• Like 5

Anyone else feeling a 200ft+ new woodie in its place?

I made a post about SOB coming down and not getting any new 'roller' coasters for atleast a few years,im standing by that.I wouldnt get my hopes up,but im all for a new coaster,even if they place it in Soak City.

I cannot say that I disagree with you. I definitely do not see one for 2013 with CP getting a new coaster. However, we must be next in the chain to get one. There is a need for a new thrill ride to draw more guests to the park.

How are we due for another coaster? It seems to me that KBF, CGA, WoF, and Valleyfair! need more rides that stand out. CGA especially.

Also, NEVER a ride behind Adventure Express unless we can't see it. I don't want another ride monstrocity disrupting her atmosphere yet again.

• Like 4

Seems like the old posts of people walking around saying, "That announcement won't be made for a few months," may have had weight to it.

I am happy that a decision was made, it will free a lot of land and will hopefully lead to an Action Zone revamp/expansion.

... that was me. I believe my family was in that end of the park when I saw a group of people "not dressed like park patrons", if you know what I mean. They were over by the race cars looking at SOB and making hand gestures. Wanted to hear what they were talking about, but not trying to be obvious. I didn't move, but on their way back (and they weren't being quiet or secretive about it)- one of them said, "well, we have a few months before that announcement is made."

Someone mentioned above that they thought it would be a few years before something is in there. My guess is that they have known this outcome for some time, and were keeping it up until they had a plan ready for the area. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the area will be an ongoing project for the park in a new area with a first phase opening of 2014.

I would guess that they had a really good idea in May. When I told you what Mr. Ouimet said. The final decision may not have been made, but I think it was certainly going to take an EXTREMELY compelling solution for Mr. Ouimet to agree to "save" SOB. It certainly seemed like he had already made up his mind by the time that we had spoke on that day in May.

I want to take this time to thank all my detractors and the people who called me a liar. While I certainly can't prove (at this time) that the conversation took place or that I reported it accurately, I do feel a certain amount of vindication. Maybe a member here will meet Mr. Ouimet someday and ask him if he ever "spilled the beans" to a guest about SOB before the official announcement, probably not, but you never know. Maybe a member would have that conversation and report it here and maybe then that member would be called a liar. LOL While I would love some more vindication, I would suggest that if any members here have the opportunity to meet and talk with Mr. Ouimet that they think of more important things to talk about because he is truly an engaging and dynamic person.

Even though I had mixed feelings about the ride, one thing I can say about SOB was that is was a beautiful looking coaster - just like Mean Streak is beautiful to look at. I hope that if another coaster is built in SOB's place, it's aesthetics are also pleasing to the eye, unlike some of the newer coasters.

• Like 2

Seems like the old posts of people walking around saying, "That announcement won't be made for a few months," may have had weight to it.

I am happy that a decision was made, it will free a lot of land and will hopefully lead to an Action Zone revamp/expansion.

... that was me. I believe my family was in that end of the park when I saw a group of people "not dressed like park patrons", if you know what I mean. They were over by the race cars looking at SOB and making hand gestures. Wanted to hear what they were talking about, but not trying to be obvious. I didn't move, but on their way back (and they weren't being quiet or secretive about it)- one of them said, "well, we have a few months before that announcement is made."

Someone mentioned above that they thought it would be a few years before something is in there. My guess is that they have known this outcome for some time, and were keeping it up until they had a plan ready for the area. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the area will be an ongoing project for the park in a new area with a first phase opening of 2014.

I would guess that they had a really good idea in May. When I told you what Mr. Ouimet said. The final decision may not have been made, but I think it was certainly going to take an EXTREMELY compelling solution for Mr. Ouimet to agree to "save" SOB. It certainly seemed like he had already made up his mind by the time that we had spoke on that day in May.

I want to take this time to thank all my detractors and the people who called me a liar. While I certainly can't prove (at this time) that the conversation took place or that I reported it accurately, I do feel a certain amount of vindication. Maybe a member here will meet Mr. Ouimet someday and ask him if he ever "spilled the beans" to a guest about SOB before the official announcement, probably not, but you never know. Maybe a member would have that conversation and report it here and maybe then that member would be called a liar. LOL While I would love some more vindication, I would suggest that if any members here have the opportunity to meet and talk with Mr. Ouimet that they think of more important things to talk about because he is truly an engaging and dynamic person.

You could say this happened when last you met.

Nah, it doesn't work.

I wouldn't say just because both parks in Ohio are now owned by Cedar Fair, not to except anything big at KI. KI and CP are in two different markets, and besides KI beats CP in Attendance. I bet we will see the next 300 foot B&M in SOB's spot in 2014.

Kings Island does not beat Cedar Point in attendance, they are tied for the same attendance.

Sad to hear the news, but can't say I was shocked at all. I'm just glad something happened. As for the replacement? I would love a wooden coaster by Gravity Group or Intamin plug-n-play. (Maybe even Rocky Mountain coaster). However, I think that spot is forever "tainted" in terms of wooden coaster. I can easily see some of the general public not realizing that a new wooden coaster isn't the same as Son of Beast. I expect a coaster more like Leviathan that Canada's Wonderland got this year, probably for the 2014 season.

• Like 1

As a longtime fanboy of the ride, I am obviously disappointed. Sadly, the realist in me has known this was coming. Let me be the first to echo the sentiments of those willing to pay for a piece of history; It would be a fantastic souvenir and an awesome keepsake to have to remember my favorite attraction at KI

I don't think that Kings Island will not just throw the wood and metal from SOB into the trash. I expect it to be salvage in some form, either all of it or in parts. The wood could be reused in some construction project, it could even be used in a new wooden coaster to be built here or at another park. The wood could be sold to a pulp mill and reused in some product made from wood. The metal rails, nails, screws and bolts will e sold for scrape and melted down. This is why I believe it will not be imploded as it will create nothing but tooth picks.

As for its replacement, only a new, record breaking wooden coaster will do. You do not tear down Son of Beast and replace it with a steel coaster. If the park decided to add a new roller coaster before this announcement was made, then yes, construct a record breaking steel coaster. I would believe that its replacement is being designed as we speak and is part of this complex equation. Right now with the decision to tear down SOB is creating the excitement that they intended it will and will made an announcement as to its replacement at their time and choosing. We will ponder why they are taking too long to announce its replacement and will speculate that it won't be until sometime in 2013 before they make their decision. I will tend to believe the decision will be made sometime in late August or sometime in the fall and be ready for operation by the opening of the 2014 season. Just think it will take to deconstruct SOB sometime in early to mid winter to complete this task and tool late for any real work due to the freezing cold. Spring time will be a good time to begin work on the new ride. But the park will make the decisions when they are ready, just like they decided when to announce the decision to deconstruct SOB.

But wait, so many claimed they had inside info and that this isn't what was going to happen! To quote the Bosstones: "Where did you go?"

And another Bosstone's song, "You Gotta Go" fits Son of Beast itself...

"You gotta go, it's time for you to leave

You've worn out your welcome

It's time for you to go"

Gotta love The Mighty Mighty Bosstones! :)

• Like 2

At first, I was shocked that we actually HAD news about SOB's future. This is great to hear!

Same here! I'm glad that a decision has been made. Now we can scheme about what we'd dream up as new attractions.

KingsIslandPR, thanks for forwarding the information. To be honest, I'm glad of it. The ride was difficult to explain to out of town (and country) guests.