Son of Beast roller coaster to be removed

Guest KingsIslandPR

• 3 months later...

i dont see why theres so much hate. i loved Son of Beast (i love any coaster ive rode really) i had the privilege of riding it 2 times with the loop in 2005 and then 4 times in 2008 and my last 2 in 2009 right before it closed. ill never forget my ride in 2008 as thats what i finished the night with while the fireworks were going off. so pretty. but then in 2009 Diamondback tooks its place with the night and fireworks ride.

• Like 5

Never got to ride this thing because I honestly was scared of coasters just about 3 years ago. (I know I missed out on a lot, but I am making up for it very quickly haha) But looking at that video posted above sure did bring back some good memories of looking at this behemoth structure. I always thought that SOB looked amazing with all of the supports and everything. The structure always made me stop and look at it during the time it was SBNO. It was a beautiful looking ride.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
31 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Does everyone remember before this when every topic on here would become a SOB topic even if SOB wasn't even in the same zip code as the original post's intentions?

Good times. 

Kind of like how every thread now either becomes about the shed or the possible Giga.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

So you think. No matter how many dedicated threads, someone will still use other threads to bring up said topics.

Oh yeah they will, just like what I did to this thread about an hour ago. That logo would look sick on a coaster though.

While we're on the SOB thread, I wanted to ask. Is the track in the station still there or was that removed along with the ride?

I've always wondered how they got all those SOB footings removed.  There were THOUSANDS of them.  The rose bowl even had pilings driven hundreds of feet in the ground.  I cannot imagine the work it took to pull all of them up... if they did... and how they did it... or if they just covered them up.

For several years, the larger footings that supported King Cobra over the access road/former safari monorail tracks were still there long after the ride was removed.  I believe these were removed when Banshee was built.  At the very least, the former SOB footings on the precise parcels of land in which Banshee was built had to be removed as well.

I guess they use a backhoe to dig them up and then toss them in a dump truck?  If so after about 5, they'd have to get a new truck due to weight restrictions.  It baffles me and is something no one ever talks about when a coaster gets demolished... what happens with all those concrete pillars!

When Geauga Lake was demolished, all the footings were left.  No doubt because removal would have been too costly.  They've since been removed, from what I hear, but again... how'd they do it?  Here's a pic...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 7

IIRC, Don told a few of us at one of our informal meetups that year, while we were chatting under the Eiffel Tower, that they had a special tool that could come down over a footing, grab it, and twist it to pull it straight up out of the ground in a matter of seconds. Now how they actually transported them away from that point, I have no clue. But that's how they were removed from the ground.

• Like 3

They are probably sold off to someone will to pay for it for scrap? Maybe landscaping or water flow control material? I know a creek by my house always has concrete crap from random stuff dumped into it to keep the water flow controlled after rain. I'd be they were probably broken up with a machine and buried or trucked out by someone. I'd be willing to bet there is a machine that could be transported on site to grind the material down .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...