What kind of coaster should replace Son of Beast?

McSalsa

Prelude: Uh-Oh. It's not just a poll. It's a Son of Beast poll! Hopefully, it's the LAST Son of Beast poll...

Well, Son of Beast is officially doomed now, and when it's gone, that will clear up a LOT of room- so, what kind of ride should open up in SOB's place?

I've gone and listed most of the "popular" ride types currently offered from name-brand companies Kings Island might have good use for- although I may have overlooked some smaller companies & their rides, I'm not sure. I've also not included types of rides Kings Island already has- so you won't see me asking for ANOTHER Vekoma Boomerang. I've also gone against "small" scale rides that would be unfitting as a Son of Beast replacement, so you won't see a Wild Mouse on here. I was also considering a few massive flat rides, but the only real choice among those KI already doesn't have is the S&S Screamin' Swing, and even that would not really be a worthy replacement for a 218' wooden coaster, so I kept this to just coasters- there could be some flats added too, but they could just be side dishes. If you really, really think a flat ride could go there, though- just choose "other" and then post what you think. Also, listed next to the options is a another coaster at other parks that fits this ride type...

So, what do you think? Son of Beast is coming down soon- what should go up in that spot? Enjoy the poll. If you dislike, you can click back. If you refuse to leave even though you dislike the poll, you can ride Son of Beast one more time- while it is being demolished! (Yep, I am referencing another ride at another park there...)

My take: I want an Intamin Plug N' Play. These wooden coasters are giant (and thus would fill the SOB skyline hole that's about to appear soon, or possibly even be larger than SOB), are smooth (would appease the Diamondback fans even more), and it would fit well into the coaster lineup. I would not mind if it had a loop, either. The price tag, if a claimed El Toro price I heard is anywhere near true, is also quite reasonable. And, we would not have to drive to New Jersey just to ride one! (Note: El Toro was ranked #1 on Mitch Hawker's 2011 wood coaster poll, and none of the other plug n' play wooden coasters were outside of the Top 10...why are there only 4 of these? Get to it, Kings Island!)

UPDATE: Oh, and one thing to take into account- as for "Rocket Coasters", remember that Kings Island can only build up to, at least according to what I've been told, 399 feet. So no Strata-Coasters at Kings Island...sadly.

UPDATE #2: I made an error...In the poll, I said the example for Stand-Up coaster was...Chang @ Cedar Point...it's been fixed now but that was a pretty funny error...(I meant to say "Mantis @ Cedar Point", as it is now)

Although I voted for a Blitz coaster (like Maverick), I wouldn't mind seeing a Floorless coaster or even a Tilt Coaster go in Son of Beast's former spot. I realize a tilt coaster hasn't been built in years (in fact, there is only one- Gravity Max in Taiwan), but I still think it'd be cool :D

• Like 1

My hopes are for an Intamin Plug N' Play that is 200 feet tall and has a loop. Of course, I'm not sure if any company wants to attempt it after the failure that was this ride. Yet, if any company is crazy enough to do it, Intamin would be at the top. Regardless of the roller coaster, I will be happy that something would be coming to Action Zone. It will hopefully lead to a revamp of the area and make it much nicer than it is now.

As much as I would like an El Toro-like woodie, I'm not sure that would be the best thing for that location for one reason. Many patrons could confuse it for Son of Beast and the stigma that goes along with it. Sadly, most people assume too much these days. It could look completely different and I'm betting people would still say, "Is that Son of Beast"?

I'm still sticking with my opinion that If Kings Island adds a new roller coaster it should be a new woodie. The last new wooden roller coaster that Kings Island built was Son of Beast in 2000 which was over 10 years ago, Which is not a lot of wood compared to the amount of steel coasters built at KI in the last 10 years. I like wooden roller coasters and would like to see Kings Island make a wooden coaster that can be a #1 ranked woodie with an Incredible reputation. Kings Island has been known for there wooden roller coasters and with Son of Beast they weren't known in a good way. They could easily make themselves a top wooden coaster theme park destination and spoil there SOB of a reputation (about wooden coasters) by adding a Great wooden coaster. Thats my opinion and I know whatever roller coaster that Kings Island adds next, wooden or not its most likely going to be a good one if history is any indication.

Id like to see a B&M Stand-Up or a woodie. Hey a B&M stand up can help aleveate the mourning for King Cobra. Id also like to see a GG woodie. It will proably be cheap to build since GG is based here in Cincinnati

I don't think my jewels agree with you.

• Like 3

I voted for a B&M Floorless roller coaster since we don't have one In Ohio. We haven't had B&M Floorless roller coaster since Dominator packed it's bags and left for Kings Dominion. Maybe Kings Island can set a new record by creating the first floorless to reach the 200 ft mark. I think that would be cool! :)

• Like 1

I really do not see why you guys are so fascinated with floorless coasters. I've been on three and they really don't add anything to a regular coaster.

As for me, I believe the go carts will make way for a stage that will be home to a Luminosity type show. I think a B&M Giga will, unfortunately, replace SOB. I, however, think a Gravity Group would fit perfectly back there and, if done right, could add a top 5 wooden coaster to Kings Island. The park has the terrain back there to really do some special and remarkable things.

I would like to see a dark ride done by Permir rides (same company that made Revenge of the Mummy at UOR). If not that than another 200ft+ wooden coaster done by Gravity Group.

If Kings Island Ever builds another 200ft+ wooden coaster, I'm sure that they would probably hire a company like the Gravity Group instead of building it themselves :P