What kind of coaster should replace Son of Beast?

McSalsa

It worked out for Beast. Then again, Beast was designed AND built in house. The alleged designer of Son of Beast has hundreds of coasters to his credit.

The park could contact my former boss (Charlie Dinn) and have his group design a new wooden coaster that will make The Beast proud!

• Like 1

For a Wing Rider you have to take into consideration that Cedar Point is building one next year. They are also removing Disaster Transport. As bad as I hate to say it, I would not put it past Cedar Fair to bring us another used coaster and put it in SOB's place with new theming and what not.

As for my vote it goes towards a Plug N' Play. El Toro looks simply amazing and the air time looks like it is in abundance. I would not mind however a Maverick style ride, with a custom layout and maybe a slightly taller lift hill, or a Voyage type ride. Anything is an improvement on the hunk of wood sitting there right now though, a GCI also would not be a bad replacement. As long as it has it's own custom layout I will be happy with anything that goes in there.

Another SOB....(Pun intended)

I would say a OktoberFest expansion and place a german themed rollercoaster something along the woodie plug and play. A wooden or steel coaster will suit me. Although a new version of SOB wouldnt be a bad idea (SOB II, Revenge from the grave?).

• Like 1

What's wrong with X-flight? You know the more I think about it, the more I say A floorless would go well in there too! I think anything will work honestly. I just don't want a Cookie Cutter version. I'd want a custom Kings Island Only type of layout..

It just wasn't that thrilling. It was nice to ride once and an okay ride but not something I would want in my home park.

I voted Dive Machine because I think KI should get something Cp does NOT have.

I think Cedar Fair has a chance to make OHIO a destination for coaster riders with the best collection of coasters in the world. They could build the best, tallest, fastest, longest coasters that Cp doesn't have at KI, the world would come spend some time and money at both parks like my family already does.

Anything tall is fine with me. Kings Island should get something that adds back to the skyline.

I agree VERY much with that. Whether Son of Beast is operating or not, It is still a HUGE part of the Kings Island skyline and without it, The skyline's look will almost completely change on that side of the park. When you lose that much from the view as your driving to Kings Island, You need something new to change the skyline. A new ride that is tall would be great like you said, but what would of course be better is a tall new wooden roller coaster. :)

Terp, you may not have remembered this as you were typing, but Matt has stated that just because he is more oriented on family than the Dick, doesn't mean that thrilling coasters are out of the picture. We still could very well see a Dive Machine, just these coasters will be spaced out.

EDIT:

Anything tall is fine with me. Kings Island should get something that adds back to the skyline.

I agree VERY much with that. Whether Son of Beast is operating or not, It is still a HUGE part of the Kings Island skyline and without it, The skyline's look will almost completely change on that side of the park. When you lose that much from the view as your driving to Kings Island, You need something new to change the skyline. A new ride that is tall would be great like you said, but what would of course be better is a tall new wooden roller coaster. :)

Remember what that area of the park looked like without Lion Country Safari? Probably not an eyesore, thus making it better.

Edited by TheCrypt

Terp, you may not have remembered this as you were typing, but Matt has stated that just because he is more oriented on family than the Dick, doesn't mean that thrilling coasters are out of the picture. We still could very well see a Dive Machine, just these coasters will be spaced out.

EDIT:

Remember what that area of the park looked like without Lion Country Safari? Probably not an eyesore, thus making it better.

I don't really think Son of Beast is an eyesore. I think it is a very cool looking structure that lost its purpose over 3 years ago.

Terp, you may not have remembered this as you were typing, but Matt has stated that just because he is more oriented on family than the Dick, doesn't mean that thrilling coasters are out of the picture. We still could very well see a Dive Machine, just these coasters will be spaced out...

A. Apparently you missed the thriller part of the philosophy. Go back and read what I typed.

B. What they DO is far more important than what they say. If CP's 2013 attraction is what many speculate that it is, family thriller is 100 percent accurate. Even on this board, we have read recent statements by several that X-Flight and Wild Eagle are too tame to merit replacing a ride like Son of Beast (!?).

C. I seldom forget while I am typing. At least so far.

I remember when Top Gun was considered a highly thrilling coaster - now, some barely consider Flight Deck more than a kiddie coaster.

I'm not sure what will excite some people as I've heard many complain about the wing riders, B&M Hypers, and even Millie not being intense enough in the past.

I say this to note that family friendly/best day ever may involve different attractions for different people - for my family, Vortex and beast contribute to that day! I'd like to see a coaster like Maverick or a B&M invert go on the SoB plot.

I picked Dive Machine since there's nothing like that around here. Cedar Point is getting a wing coaster next year so I don't think that's likely for us. I personally don't want a giga coaster. I would like to see something totally different and unique - at least within a few hundred miles.

Mmmmm, hard to choose... mostly I'd like an Intamin Giga Coaster, but any Intamin would do; whether it be an Blitz like Maverick or a prefab like El Toro.

EDIT: Wow, I actually never knew that Maverick is called a "Blitz Coaster". I never really knew what type of coaster Maverick was besides and Intamin. But now I know!