Snack Lines

Voicetek

I wonder how much time it took away from other orders to listen to you rant and demand refunds...

I wonder how much time it took away from other orders to listen to you rant and demand refunds...

Then again, maybe my rant got their butt moving for the next order!!

All I hear is maybe this and maybe that. I still feel that waiting 12 minutes to get your order AFTER you placed it is a disgrace.

Even if it was 12, it's certainly NOT a disgrace. I've worked in many a kitchen, and have been in literally hundreds of park kitchens from all the major chains. Things sometimes happen. The industry tries to make things right.

That being said, the harangue we see here indicates a guest who is looking to find fault. For crying out loud, leave the park and go to McDonalds or something. Or bring a sandwich in a cooler in the car. Either will take you MUCH longer than 12 minutes.

• Like 1

Even if it was 12, it's certainly NOT a disgrace. I've worked in many a kitchen, and have been in literally hundreds of park kitchens from all the major chains. Things sometimes happen. The industry tries to make things right.

That being said, the harangue we see here indicates a guest who is looking to find fault. For crying out loud, leave the park and go to McDonalds or something. Or bring a sandwich in a cooler in the car. Either will take you MUCH longer than 12 minutes.

I would agree that sometimes things happen but if you're familiar with that Skyline, you can watch what the employees are doing. He was moving as slow as a human can move and B.S.ing with other workers.

Speaking of "snacks", who else (members of KIC and/or their friends) at the park Saturday when they went to get drinks got a line about the place being out of ice (mostly in/close to PS)? We went to the popcorn/cotton candy snack place by Kite eating tree around 7:30 and they were out of ice. Around 10 pm the little snack shop at the back of PS by the stage was out of ice. The little stand about 10:30 pm on International Street close by Starbucks was almost out of ice. People were walking away disgusted that they couldn't get an "ice" cold drink.

Is this a common occurrence on Saturdays? This was the first time we have gone on a Saturday all year, and we got to the toll booth about 7 pm.

Also, if you think service is slow at KI, try eating Panda Express at Carowinds. My trip was over a month ago, so I don't remember what I had ordered. But it took 45 minutes. Yes, 45. With the way lines had been that day, I could have ridden AT LEAST 6 or 7 rides on Intimidator while I was waiting for that food. Worst Dining experience at an amusement park ever. (Though I will add, they did fill my cup with a drink wristband). Granted, I didn't have my car that day or I would have left and re-entered like I always did at KI before this year. Now I just eat Hank's Nachos every time. Only costs me $4.25 and it's a decent sized portion. It isn't much cheaper to eat outside of the park anymore, so I don't bother leaving.

Lesson learned: Make prices reasonable, and people will buy your food. Before this year, all I would eat at KI was maybe 1 order of Bacon Cheese Fries from Rivertown Potato works a month. By lowering prices, KI has gotten probably 5 times as much money from me this year.

Also, so nobody is confused, Carowinds does not have drink wristbands in the same way KI does. At Carowinds, the ONLY way to get an unlimited drink wristband is to buy a souvenir cup, which costs $15 instead of the $11 (or is it $12?) that they charge at KI.

Last year Carowinds actually had two different size souvenir cups. The one we know and love from KI is $15 as stated at Carowinds, but they have/had a $10 version that was slightly smaller. We actually bought one of those for my 8-yr-old, he likes not having to lug the larger one around, and it doesn't get warm before it's finished. Carowinds also has a souvenir pilsner for adult beverages. It was $10 to purchase (filled), and $5.99 to refill. Still high enough price to discourage over-imbibing, but far more reasonable than the $8+ currently charged on frosty adult beverages.

A couple of years ago I purchased a flashing-blinky tall mug at Great Wolf during that tow show they do, filled. I carried it with me at KI and I got absolutely *grilled* about 'where can you get one of those'. I'd buy a KI version, if they offered one!

I agree that Bat overreacted a bit, but the point that was seemingly lost was that 5-minute things ought to take 5-minutes. I don't agree that there is a linear relationship between wages and performance either though... When I did my fast food stint (working for minimum wage), we had a 3-minute timeline that we tried hard to meet. The franchise sent 'mystery shoppers' to assess our ability to meet it, and the managers were on the hook for making it happen. And we made all the food to order. A very few things on the menu took exactly 3 minutes to prepare, and extremely large orders were a challenge, but it CAN be done. The other fine point they made us learn was to assemble the cold items on the order first, then the hot. Heat lamps? We only had the one over the fry area, and fries had to be 'wasted' after 7 minutes, 5 if they were salted, and of course the waste bucket was weighed at the end of the day.

Bat may or may not have over-reacted, but we decided to use a (4) cheese coney for $0.99 a piece instant reward we got the other night.

My mother in law went up with my neice ahead of us while we were gathering our son together proceeding over that area. I'm not sure of her exact experience as I was 2 spots behind here, but I believe it to be fairly similar to mine based upon our conversation when we sat in the patio area.

The food was put together fairly quickly once the order was taken, however the girl taking the order was about as slow as possible.

Me, handing over the coupon I'd like (4) cheese coneys, no onion, plus a plain hot dog, a 20 oz Diet Coke (showing her the wrist band) and a water.

Her: you can only use this on cheese coneys.

Me: "I understand that, I'd like (4) cheese coneys, no onion" plus the plain hot dog.

Her: "so you don't want chili on your coney"

Me: "no its a coney, I want everything except the onions", plus the plain hot dog.

She typed something in then proceeded: "you don't want chili on the plain hot dog?"

Me: No, I just want the (reading from the board) "plain hot dog on a bun (or whatever the exact, similarly worded description is on the board)"

her: "OK.....wait, what didn't you want on the cheese coney's?

Me: "no onions, please"

she sends back the order

Her: "Did you want anything else besides the coney's?"

Me: "Yes the plain hot dog on a bun, plus the diet Coke and a water"

She finishes the order and takes my cash.

Then proceeds to ask me again what I'd like to drink another 2 or 3 times.

I never did get the water.

On the plus side, the food came out quicker than the drinks at this point, the buns were super fresh (unlike when I ate there last year) and was enjoyable.

I think my mother in law had to tell her that she wanted chili on her coney as well. After experiencing this, I wouldn't be surprised if bat had to wait the 10 minutes that he said if this girl was on the grill that day.

Have you ever heard what the term, "up selling" means? The price for a coney is higher than just a plain hot dog. Every sales person is taught to up sale on any order or service they receive. I do it all the time at work and the end result is increased revenue for the park. Try the same thing at a regular Skyline off of Kings Mills Road and you might hear something similar. They are asking just on the chance you were mistaken and wanted the order changed after you receive it.

Do you really believe she was up selling?

Medford had a certificate for four cheese coneys for 99 cents and he wanted a plain hotdog added to it.

How hard is that to decipher?

I have never been to a Skyline and have the waitress say "would you like chili added to that plain hotdog for 40 cents or we can add cheese to your hotdog for another 25 cents"

• Like 3

I'd like (4) cheese coneys, no onion" plus the plain hot dog.

Maybe she thought you were changing your mind in the middle of your order.

"I'd like four cheese coneys... No, onion plus the plain hot dog." (just a hot dog with onions).

Oh, I get it now.....Can I have onion on a bun and I would like to add a hotdog to that.

Maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she is just not very good in that role. We all have different things we are good at.

Seriously folks, we've likely all had good and bad service - why do we have to guess about what may have happened to bat and Medford in such an antagonistic fashion?

• Like 3

Maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she is just not very good in that role. We all have different things we are good at.

Seriously folks, we've likely all had good and bad service - why do we have to guess about what may have happened to bat and Medford in such an antagonistic fashion?

Maybe someone that works for KI will read this and make some changes so we don't have to repeat our order 2-3 times and we don't have to wait 12 minutes AFTER we placed our order.

How many orders were placed before you placed your order? They prepare the orders in the order they were placed. They repeat your order to you to ensure they have the order correct and to not give you your food and you find it was not what your ordered or you decided to change it. Also, was the order placed during the lunch rush? Have you ever worked in fast food places?

Man oh Man! How many people have worked in food service in here? Yes it seems easy, your order was simple. But on the other side of the counter, there may be a fan. Its loud. its hot. The person may have been working for 6 hours straight taking orders. All of a sudden the simple order is nothing but. Sometimes a person is bad at their job, sometimes its just a bad mixture. AKA good try today come back tomorrow and do better! Maybe she was normally a food prep person and the cashier was sick/called off. She had to step up because she "knew" the register. Doesnt mean shes good at it just knows what she is doing...

Things, I will also complain about at a restaurant: Dirty Bathrooms (clean bathrooms usually means clear restaurant), cold food, rude service.

Other than, some things can be over looked. But really getting upset at people who may never have had a job before is stupid. People go to KI to get a job (sometimes their first job). I dont expect Suzy (16yrs old) with her first job to be as good at Susan (24) working for 8 years... Man oh Man....

• Like 4

^^^THIS^^^

Just realize that these places aren't hiring the "best and the brightest". In fact, just think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half the people you meet and deal with every day are STUPIDER than that.

I'm sorry Bennett, but that's completely uncalled for. Who are you to judge the associates intelligence?

I've been in the food industry on and off for the past 5 years. It's not easy. People need to realize that people who are in service jobs don't have it easy. Maybe the worker at Skyline just got yelled at, maybe they received bad news, etc. There's multiple reasons that your service could have been less than anticipated, but never assume it's because they're not the "best and brightest." That's just ignorant.

If you really have an issue with an associate, instead of complaining about it on here, go to Guest Services, the message will get passed along and the situation will be monitored.

• Like 4

Just remember that patience is a virtue. This girl sounds like she was trying her best to get the order right and obviously cared enough to keep checking back to be sure it was right. I have no problem with repeating my order to a food service worker if it will help my chances of receiving a correct order the first time. Notice that with the exception of the water, there was no mention of the order being wrong.

For all we know this could have been this girls first day on the job, or first time working the register/window. Maybe she's not from Cincinnati and is working here for the summer so she wasn't familiar with what a coney was, how it was made, or what come on it.

The point is that there are so many factors that John Q Public does not take into account when they have a situation like this come up. Unless you know the full story, don't be so quick to judge.

Have a little patience people.

• Like 4