Winterfest 2012

BB1

I would Love to see Winterfest make a return and I think it Could be a huge success depending on how Cedar Fair promotes it of all things.

I think so too. Even though you cant ride coasters (to my knowledge). Wouldn't it be so cool to ride The Beast in the shimmering white snow on a sunny day (with the exception of really high/ fast cold winds)? Of coarse though, you cant "take away" that freezing cold wind.

I would Love to see Winterfest make a return and I think it Could be a huge success depending on how Cedar Fair promotes it of all things.

I think so too. Even though you cant ride coasters (to my knowledge). Wouldn't it be so cool to ride The Beast in the shimmering white snow on a sunny day (with the exception of really high/ fast cold winds)? Of coarse though, you cant "take away" that freezing cold wind.

That would be a great expirience on The Beast and it would also be kinda cool to ride WindSeeker in the snow, and see everything in Mason, from 301ft. in the sky.

meanwhile, back at the reality ranch.

'if' Winterfest made a return, it wouldn't be 2012, something would hsve been announced by now. WindSeeker, not to mention, The Beast would NEVER operate in the winter. i could just imagine the frost bite lawsuits on that one.

that being said, with Cedar Fairs ceo being a former Disney'ite, he has seen first hand what a park can do under the lights. i could see reboot of the event in the future. i honestly think that paramounts biggest mistake was pricing it so high. other than that i thought it was awell planned event (though i wasn't a fan of the tower/tree lighting scheme.

• Like 5

If Winter Fest was to be brought back, and that is a BIG if, I would think it would be confined to the area around International Street with no rides, except for a horse buggy. The costs will be too great vs the revenue it would bring in and it would hinder the rehab work that goes on to get the park ready for the next season. It would just be for the holiday experience with ice skating, unique gifts for the holidays, chestnuts roasting on an open flame, International Street, the Eiffel Tower decked out with lights, and offer the holiday spirit to all the guests and children. I do not see any rides operating due to the effect it would have for their rehab. As an employee that worked back in 1972 when the park was opened into the first week of November, I froze my "you know what off" with hardly no crowds. Thank God for the food stand that gave us hot chocolate in RiverTown.

• Like 1

KI-ORIG-EMP, you say that no rides could operate because it would interrupt rehab. How is it that the train operated during the former Winterfests? I doubt it takes 6 whole months to complete rehab. Maybe 3-4 depending on the complexity of the train / track work. The Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad could operate.

Not a bat's chance in hell that it'll return for 2012. I could also see them doing what Paramount did with the Christmas trees on Swan Lake, only with the Oktoberfest pond (why doesn't that have a name?).

though I could see it happening some day, I wouldn't hold my breath for it soon. Over the next few years there are going to be a lot of moving parts at the park beginning with the re-purposing of a large pile of lumber. I think that SOBs fate has been known since 2009. My unqualified guess is that when the last lady said she was hurt the insurance company said "close it or you're on your own."- and that it has simply been taking up space until a master plan for the area was created. if they intended top open it I would assume that test trains would have graced the tracks over the past 3 years.

anyway, developing that area is going to be a monumental task- and creation of a new event would be a distraction to that.

• Like 3

TTD, I do realize that. I may have underestimated the time it takes, though. How I see the train operating is such:

Run Green during Winterfest while Blue is in the shop for maintenance. After Winterfest, put Green in the shop for rehab alongside Blue. Now, since Blue got a head start, Blue will most likely be out first. Run Blue from opening to whenever Green is ready. Then use both. Switch the trains each year.

Now that may not be feasible whatsoever, so that plan may not even work. How was it done in the old Winterfest days?

Dwight, Cedar Fair is self insured.

• Like 1

Winterfest could work and should return, for 2012/ 2013 at the very latest, it brings money in for the park, and great for dayton, and northern cincinnati, now that beach does not have anything!

Who says if KI waits that the beach won't return Winter beach fest or something?

If rehab must take so long, how do nonseasonal parks stay open year round?

I've ridden Beast in the snow. With current park ownership and policies, that is highly unlikely to happen again.

CBS achieved exactly what it intended to with Winterfest. It was very similar to an open house for a home sale, and it charmed many, the intended audience most of all.

That being said, the poll question, as written, assumes there will be a Winterfest this year. That's not very likely.

• Like 2

If rehab must take so long, how do nonseasonal parks stay open year round?

Some thoughts:

- Year round income allowing larger maintenance staff.

- One train/ car can be taken off ride & rehabbed while still operating. As opposed to all rides being down at once at a seasonal park.

- Nonseasonal parks take rides down for major rehab for months at a time (i.e. Test Track at Epcot) and have the luxury of picking & choosing which ride that will be, as again, all seasonal park rides being down at once.

- Weather. Yes, many things can be accomplished during the winter months, it is just considerably slower than if it was warm.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I want the event, but I believe it would not succeed. The reasons are the same as most people for the pro WF, memories, new traditions, great new ideas. Its sad to say this but, the reasons against over rule the reasons for WF, ride operations, staffing, profit, past experiences, etc. If there were to be a WinterFest 2012, I would most certainly go to it being that the HH is a success and the light show already in place being great works I could expect a great WinterFest if it came.

TTD, I do realize that. I may have underestimated the time it takes, though. How I see the train operating is such:

Run Green during Winterfest while Blue is in the shop for maintenance. After Winterfest, put Green in the shop for rehab alongside Blue. Now, since Blue got a head start, Blue will most likely be out first. Run Blue from opening to whenever Green is ready. Then use both. Switch the trains each year.

Now that may not be feasible whatsoever, so that plan may not even work. How was it done in the old Winterfest days?

Dwight, Cedar Fair is self ensured.

My bad. I thought you were talking about all the rides, not just KI&MV Rail Road. Yeah, I believe the train could work.

Terpy, I don't understand your point about year-round parks. They close down their rides for maintenance. Earlier this year Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure was closed down for nearly a month. That isn't a long time for maintenance?

Edit: Browntggrr's post did not load when I was originaly typing this comment. He already made the point I tried to make. Sorry.

My point is that maintenance needs are not a substantial reason for not having Winterfest. There are many such reasons, but that one isn't a very high priority one. From weather to seasonal staffing to competition from well established events like Festival of Lights, there are a myriad of reasons that there is currently no Winterfest at Kings Island.

I remember getting an online survey from KI. It had all kinds of questions about all things KI. One part of the survey dealt with :Winter time". There were several options given as to what I would like to see/have if the park did a winter thing. Some of the options included having The Beast open, as well as other "big" rides. Other questions had to do with various foods/meal plans to be offered during this same time. They were trying to find out what incentives would make me come to the park - rides, foods, Santa's workshop, singers/stage shows, etc. I never heard another work about it since I completed the online survey.

But now, they could make Santa's Elves out of the dinos and string lights along the pathways. There could be a 3D moive about Christmas and FOF, AE, and Racer could be open, along with the flat rides in Coney Mall. Oh, and of course - the ET as the biggest Christmas tree ever!

If we are going to have all of those rides open, why not just open the park as usual but with Christmas decorations. It will not work. Limit it to just the area around International Street with no roller coaster or any other ride open except for maybe the train. If you want to start to have some rides open, begin WinterFest small and see how the turnout is and then expand some things after a couple years. But the main thing is to keep the expenses down and price it accordingly. I know when my family went to WinterFest it was for the Christmas atmosphere and to enjoy the holidays and not to ride any rides. The only thing in operation was the horse buggy. Also to shop at the stores with their special merchandise and products.

Dwight, Cedar Fair is self insured.

I don't have insider information, so I can't really comment for certainty that Cedar Fair is or is not self-insured, but I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb and say that they are not. Not even P&G is self insured from a liability standpoint. Health insurance, maybe- not from a liability perspective.

wow; i stand corrected. i must say, I don't pay much attention to their conference calls. This, does, however make the SOB instance even more elementary; if they're on the hook for 100% of the liability- they're going to be REAL conservative when it comes to "risky" attractions.

Back to the original point from way... earlier then, imagine the lawsuits flying from frost bites.

Hey guys, take this for what its worth (I'm skeptical) BUTTT I just had a friendwho got hired at KI in Foods. I asked her and said the season is ending, why work there? She said that they still had haunt and that Christmas thing...

Now I Know, she is just in Foods, BUT I was thinking wouldn't they tell her, Hey are you avail in the winter?

Well, I asked that. She said they did. SO, my question (even though this she isn't a high up person) could it be possible that Winterfest 2012 may be a real thing?**

**Like I said I'm not sure about this!

Remember Pizza Baby? Food service? He knows all about the Action Zone expansion! Duh!

She probably just got mixed up. She may think that there still is a Winterfest, probably not as familiar with the park as we are.

If she is right, well I'll be darned!

Also, I can't tell if you're not joking?

EDIT: One more thing! I doubt we could ever have a great Winterfest because it would require all the Haunt stuff to come down quickly (I assume it would need time), and we'd probably have a shorter Haunt (if that's possible!). Also, setting up lights is a tedious task in itself, plus there's always the take-down stage too (one of the reasons why I hate decorating our house for Christmas <_< )

Actually, the more I think about it, she could be right! I think if you're a seasonal employee, you should know what the end dates are for your job, so if it says "January 2013" or something, then that would mean a Winterfest-esque event.

Now, I'm not sure it will be very big or likely, but hey! You never know!