Blackouts?

stashua123

I went on Invertigo(today) after the first time and after a 3 min. wait i got on for the second time in a row. I choosed to go forwards first. The first time around it was okay but after drop in going backwards i started to gray-out i then looked at the track in the loop and then BAM!! Total blackout. I was in a blackout for about 6 secs. I tried to see but i couldn't. After going through the cobra roll i got out of the blackout. It was so weird and i have never experienced a blackout until today. Is this normal? Or should i go to a doctor.

• Like 2

No there's no problem, that almost happened to me at the end of June, I was riding in the back first row and on the second time through I got tunnel vision. The only other time anything like that has ever happened to me was when I marathoned in the back seat of Intimidator 305, but that's understandable.

I went on Invertigo(today) after the first time and after a 3 min. wait i got on for the second time in a row. I choosed to go forwards first. The first time around it was okay but after drop in going backwards i started to gray-out i then looked at the track in the loop and then BAM!! Total blackout. I was in a blackout for about 6 secs. I tried to see but i couldn't. After going through the cobra roll i got out of the blackout. It was so weird and i have never experienced a blackout until today. Is this normal? Or should i go to a doctor.

LOL...the description reminds me of George Lindells experience seen here:

~Josh

• Like 1

I would go to the doctor and have your blood pressure checked. When fighter pilots black out from the high G's that they encounter, it is due to the change in blood pressure and the lack of oxygen to the brain caused from the high G forces. Unless you experience high G forces for several seconds or longer, I would have your blood pressure check to avoid further problems. Signs on the rides say if you have high blood pressure to avoid riding.

In all seriousness, I used to black out on the King Cobra while going through the second pass of the double helix. I was in perfect health at that time and believe it was simply due to my bodies tolerance level to G forces. I knew of several people who experienced black out symptoms in that exact spot, while others did not. Do you experience this on any other ride...like Vortex? If so, then you may want to get checked out as others have suggested. In any case, I think the G force on the ride you are experiencing the blackout is kinda high when going through that flip, so I would surmise that it is a very normal response. This is all opinion, however, as I am not a doctor.

~Josh

It is not uncommon for riders to grey out/black out on rides, so there is likely nothing to worry about, but talking to your doctor if you are concerned is never a bad idea.

Note - susceptibility to g-force blackouts can be affected by many things that affect blood pressure (how hot was it, how hydrated were you, what had you ridden previously, did you run/ walk fast/ stroll leisurely over to Invertigo, did you get a good nights sleep last night, what was your stress level).

• Like 1

With all due respect, Jr., people "grey out" on coasters all the time. It depends how thrilling it is. Heck, I greyed out on Kumba at Busch Gardens. And when does anyone grey out on B & Ms? :P

But in all seriousness, if you grey out for a few seconds, it is nothing. Plus, Invertigo offers some insane positive Gs, so I wouldn't blame the kid for greying out on the ride.

• Like 2

Jr - a couple of points.

I beleive that guest safety is extremely important to the leadership at KI, however responding or not to this thread doesn't prove that or not.

The only person I am aware of who posts is KingsIslandPR. Likely the only response he could provide here would need to be reviewed by KI lawyers and would say something along the lines of - if you are concerned, see a Dr, and if this happens again please feel free to have an associate contact health services for immediate assistance.

Beyond that, you obviously feel that KIPR is only active on these forums to promote money making ventures for the park. I'd note that they have done more than that - answering guest questions, sharing park news, supporting charitable causes, and alerting us to new opportunities like tours, special fireworks seating, etc... You know, the things you'd expert the PR team to be doing on forums like this.

• Like 2

Not to mention that if he was truly right that ALL that FUN PR cares about is money (which he is not), guest safety saves money, as safe rides and safe parks reduce expenses, from medical expenses to liability.

No park employee wants any ride to operate that they wouldn't comfortably put their own children, spouse or parents on.

• Like 3

It's an intense ride, and one I don't usually enjoy for that reason. I will only do it on a day I know my pressure is fine. I have not grayed out on any ride yet, but doesn't mean it may not happen. If you're dehydrated or hungry, you could have reactions you normally don't. Heat too-anything above 90 and I usually avoid the park. Have your blood pressure checked-I started feeling bad a few years ago and started monitoring it-after a pattern I now take medicine for it. It can really mess up your system-and for me recurring headaches tell me its creeping up.

• Like 1

Ya i was getting extremely tired and a little dehydrated when i rode Invertigo. I was also extremely nervous because that an drop zone are the only rides im afraid of at the park. I geuss i looked down at the track and bended down so that also could've caused my blackout. I was also forced to ride it a second time

Edit:And this was the first time i ever greyed or blacked-out on any rollercoaster

Ya i was getting extremely tired and a little dehydrated when i rode Invertigo. I was also extremely nervous because that an drop zone are the only rides im afraid of at the park. I geuss i looked down at the track and bended down so that also could've caused my blackout. I was also forced to ride it a second time

Edit:And this was the first time i ever greyed or blacked-out on any rollercoaster

Well, here's one thing that had to do with it. ;)

When I went to Kings Dominion in 2010, it was blazing hot and somewhere around 500% humidity, which made it even worse. I was pretty dehydrated towards the end of the day, and then I rode Intimidator 305. From the bottom of the first drop till about 3/4ths of the way over the following hill, my vision was almost black. When I rode it earlier in the day, I only slightly grayed out just before that hill. Always got make sure you get plenty of water!

It also wasn't really helping your case that you were riding Invertigo--that ride is pretty much only strong positive G's from lift hill to lift hill.

KI staff respond to people asking questions about funperks, Period. Talk about Blackout or Grey-out on a rollercoaster and nothing! This is all about money and not the safety of each and every rider,Period! Im done with this topic,nothing else I can say, Period.

What's KingsIslandPR supposed to be saying here? I'd guess it's a liability for them to talk about blacking or graying out, as it would pretty much inevitably involve them giving arguably resembling medical advice. When you consider that just about anything you might want to know is easily found elsewhere online ( http://bit.ly/NsrapR ), I can't say I blame them.

Beyond that, to avoid beating a dead horse, I'll say I very much agree with KIfan1980 and The Interpreter.

Forced?

Terpy, who doesn't like seeing people forced to ride.

I was a big sissy back in 07. I wouldnt even ride the Big Dipper when I went to Camden Park!

I then went with my neighbors and my dad to HH at Kings Island in 07. They "highly suggested" that I went on SoB, so we did.

Im not saying its good to be forced on a ride but sometimes its goos to be pushed out of your comfort zone. If I didnt go on SoB then I may not have the passion I have for coasters today!

• Like 2

I've never grayed out on Invertigo, but I started to on SOB once. Sometimes on DB in the valleys between the first few hills I feel a little weird, but not every ride. An old friend that used to go with me all the time to KI would occasionally gray out on Invertigo, though. Bottom line, if you're concerned about it, it never hurts to play it safe and ask a doctor, but it seems to be a pretty normal occurrence. I feel staying hydrated and having at least a little food in your stomach before tackling the bigger, more forceful rides is always a good idea.

• Like 1

When I went to Kings Dominion in 2010, it was blazing hot and somewhere around 500% humidity, which made it even worse.

:lol: I didn't know they had a Kings Dominion on Venus.

I've greyed out mildly on BLSC a couple of times. I've checked out with a clean bill of health. However; (speaking to the broader audience) only you and your doctor know enough about the state of your health to determine if your gray-outs/blackouts are symptoms of something more serious than normal G-force effects.

• Like 3