question about power outage

jacobliford

Even if for some reason the magnets wouldn't work due to no power, each and every ride has a backup generator to allow for the ride to run in the case of a power failure.

last year when I went, one day Action Zone was without power and people were stuck at the top of Drop Tower and it wasnt until another hour til power was back

All of Action Zone, and only Action Zone, was without power. Hey, it could have happened, but I seriously doubt that only Action Zone was out of power. If another member here (hint hint) can verify wether or not Drop Tower has a generator, please say so. :)

On another related note, I'd love to be stuck on Drop Tower!

The back up generators that the park has are for emergency use and not to power rides or attractions until power is restored. Just like if you have a back up generator at home, you use it to power your freezer, refrigerator, lights and other vital stuff.

Though I would assume that if, for example, a train was past the MCBR on any give ride, they'd use the generator long enough to get any trains that are on the track safely to a brake run.

Brakes on coasters are designed to be fail-safe. A loss of power causes them to engage automatically. Coaster trains situated on lift hills will stop with the anti-rollback devices and are evacuated if necessary.

I believe auxiliary devices such as air floors and ramps can be operated with an emergency hook-up outside of the normal air supply; backup generators assist in powering PLCs and other ride equipment for a short period of time.

All rides and attractions have procedures in place in case of power failure. Redundancy is the key here.

• Like 1

Even if for some reason the magnets wouldn't work due to no power, each and every ride has a backup generator to allow for the ride to run in the case of a power failure.

No they don't.

I thought about the same thing, but what about coasters like Adventure Express or The Beast, which require electricity to the chains? Also, with rides such as Delirium, you need to raise the floors.

The trains won't move on a chain lift until power is restored.

• Like 1

The anti rollbacks on coasters as well as MCBR on coasters are designed so that generators are not necessary. The last thing a park would want (does not mean can't) to do is operate a ride on generator power.

This is one of the many reasons both areas of coasters are equipped with emergency exit stairs/ ladders etc.

You may find some rides (i.e. sky/ lift rides, MF) that have a back-up generator. Unfortunately, these generators often fail due to lack of use which is why most rides are designed without a generator in mind and also have the ability to use a hand crank.

Other rides like Giant Wheel @ CP have to be literally pushed around (20+ employees) to have all the guests exit safely: here is the trick: the guests have to be removed in a "balance" fashion or the wheel would start moving on it's own & then would have to wait until it came to a stop.

Many of these emergency exit procedures were experienced in the 2003 blackout.

• Like 1

The park also lost power in 2010 during the 4th of July-ish timing.

The rides were evacuated following evacuation procedures.

As MarketingExpress stated, the rides do not have back up generators and will not complete their cycles.

Coasters will stop at the next breaking area if they are on the course at the time, flat rides will stop their cycle. Delirium would swing to a stop, from there, not sure how they would evacuate.

All water rides lose their pump power, so the water will drain and the flume,inner tube will stop at it's current position.

Brakes on coasters are designed to be fail-safe. A loss of power causes them to engage automatically. Coaster trains situated on lift hills will stop with the anti-rollback devices and are evacuated if necessary.

I believe auxiliary devices such as air floors and ramps can be operated with an emergency hook-up outside of the normal air supply; backup generators assist in powering PLCs and other ride equipment for a short period of time.

All rides and attractions have procedures in place in case of power failure. Redundancy is the key here.

You have this right except for "A loss of power causes them to engage automatically." Any block brakes (not trims, I'm not sure about those) are ALWAYS "engaged" by default, in other words their resting position is closed. It takes power to open the brakes to let the train through.

• Like 1

You have this right except for "A loss of power causes them to engage automatically." Any block brakes (not trims, I'm not sure about those) are ALWAYS "engaged" by default, in other words their resting position is closed. It takes power to open the brakes to let the train through.

Honestly, it's splitting hairs, and I'm pretty sure we all understand what was meant.

One could bring up an example that the train was at the block brake, with the brakes actuating as the train is passing, then the power going out causing the brakes to be in the normal closed state. Power loss=brakes to engage.

Cedar Point? Sometime in 2003 I believe

August 14th, 2003

From Wiki:

At Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, park employees had to help guests walk down the steps of the 205-foot (60 m)-tall Magnum XL-200 roller coaster, which had stopped on the lift hill due to the blackout. Several other guests had to be helped off rides as a result of the blackout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

• Like 1