8-4-2012

Voicetek

My girlfriend and I and my friend and his wife ended up at Kings Island on Saturday night in a spur of the moment decision. We had met them earlier in the evening for dinner with plans to go to the driving range. That ended earlier than we thought. We were done around 9:30. We were standing in the parking lot for a bit trying to figure out what we could do next. Jokingly, my friend's wife said, "We could always drive out to Kings Island to watch the fireworks." Then that totally jogged my memory, Kings Island was open until midnight Saturday for the last time this summer. I informed everyone of that and we all agreed that we should go out to KI for a couple hours.

We arrived around 10:30 and I noticed that it again looked pretty packed in the parking lot. I looked up at the sign and counted all the various groups that KI was "Welcoming" that night. 8 of them in total. I was there the week prior and there was only 4 groups and it was so packed you couldn't move. So I was thrilled when it was double that number this past Saturday.

So we entered the park and we had an hour and a half left. We had only planned on riding a few things, so I figured we should be ok regardless of the crowds. First we headed towards "Boo Blasters". My friend and his wife like to have competitions whenever they go to see who can beat the other. This time around he got a faulty gun...needless to say, he lost to his wife. I however got a pretty decent gun and I won with a score of over 1,300. Not too bad considering there were no blasting sounds and you can't really see the lazer beam.

From there we headed to Diamondback. It was over an hour wait, so we moved on. We headed to The Beast to catch a night ride. Again, over an hour wait. Next we walked past Backlot Stunt Coaster. Not as bad with a 45 minute wait, but with an hour left, we decided it wasn't worth the rest of our time. One of us suggested that we walk over to Coney Mall and check out some rides over there, so that's what we did.

We walked over to The Racer and....jackpot! It was pretty much a walk on! We all got on the Blue Racer without waiting and in the very back (my favorite place to ride). It was a pretty good ride, not too rough, and a lot of fun!

From there we walked around to the Adventure Express. Again we were lucky, it was a walk on! So we made our way again to the very back and enjoyed a very thrilling night ride. It seemed to be going faster than normal or something, but it made for a very fun experience!

After that we walked over to the Viking Fury and caught another walk on. It seemed as if everyone was getting stuck over near River Town and it's surrounding areas Saturday night because once we got past a certain point, the rides seemed to be pretty much walk ons. The Viking Fury was fun as normal and by this time it was about 11:40. We figured we had time for one more ride. We decided to go into Action Zone and take a ride on Flight Deck since that line is never too long.

We walked over to Flight Deck and took the journey down the long path down and around, then up to the ride. As we were walking to the ride, I was telling my friends my memories of opening weekend of "Top Gun". I remembered how the line was all the way out past the entrance. Every line was opened up and the line even went around into the queue part that's under the ride. They used to have artificial fog and everything in that section. I remembered waiting close to 3 hours to ride the first time! It was hard to believe that considering the fact that we were walking right up to the ride that night. Anyway, it was another walk on. We were walking up to the ride just as it was pulling into the station. So we headed towards the back and took our seats. That ride is always fun in the dark and it had been a while since I had ridden it anyway, so it was nice to enjoy it again.

When we got off of Flight Deck it was about 11:55 so we decided to get something to drink and head towards the exit. We stopped at the snack stand there in Action Zone for a Diet Coke and a blue ice cream to finish off the night!

For an hour and a half visit and the crowds the way they were, we didn't have too bad of a time and we actually got to ride some good rides. Boo Blasters, The Racer, Adventure Express, The Viking Fury, and Flight Deck. Not too bad for a spur of the moment decision late on a Saturday evening! It was an enjoyable and fun time with friends and I'm glad we decided to make the trip!

• Like 3

Glad you had fun! Though, you should have met up with all of us! It was KIC Day! Lots of KICers were there. Thanks for the report.

Gosh, I was unaware that it was KIC Day this past Saturday. I think I remember reading something about that, but I haven't really been on here in about a week, so I totally forgot! Maybe next time!

• 2 weeks later...