Your KI Gear

CoasterOhio

I love reading & seeing what everyone collects. :)

I have not photographed them yet...but my favorite items that I have purchased at the park this year are the KI&MV green & blue train replicas. ($19.99 each in The Emporium) I love items that are unique to the park.

When I talked to Mr. Helbig at Coasting For Kids he mentioned that a 40th Anniversary map was coming out in July...is it out yet?

I guess this would be a good place to post a few pics of my collection. I have been collecting Coney/Kings Island items for nearly 13 years and have accumulated quite a few items. Here are a few choice pieces that range from retail items to conceptual art dept. presentation pieces that I have set up in my office. A lot of my stuff is still packed away from having recently moved, but I thought I'd get a few out and put them on display:

Back row: 1974 park map, grand carousel vinyl record, drunken cowboy concept art for train ride maquette design approval

Front row: 1971 park preview brochure, 1972 park guide, View Master reels (1973 & 77), Scoobie Bucks and early 90's park guides

photo-11.jpg

Back row: Concept artwork for the "Bat" (when it was conceived as a space themed ride), Bat concept train art and employee button.

Front row: Coney Island games & rides tickets and park passes, KI games tokens and elongated pennies (all from the 1970's and 80's)

photo-10.jpg

Beastie terra-cotta sculpting (clay sculpted onto plywood backing) used for creating all of the fiberglass reliefs that were affixed to the front of each train and as a presentation piece for management approval. This piece is very dense and weighs about 30 lbs.

photo-7.jpg

1983 Park Map

photo-8.jpg

Framed concept art for train mortician design approval rendering and Bat paint scheme variation art (there is an astra next to the one that was selected as the final paint choice for the train cars).

photo-9.jpg

Additional items not shown can be seen here: http://s26.photobuck...d%20collection/

~Josh

• Like 9

I really really like those pen and inks, the cowboy and the vampire(?)

Thank you :) It's actually the mortician from the train ride. He was taken out when they revamped the ride to...well, no theming at all. The designer said that he used Boris Karloff (famous classic horror film actor) as reference when sculpting the character - see pic here http://www.imdb.com/...56992/nm0000472. Here is a comparison of the rendering next to the maquette that was once part of the ride:

trainmorticiancharactercomparisoncopy.jpg

~Josh

• Like 1

photo-8.jpg

Is that artistic license, or did Coney Mall go back way further relative to The Racer's turnarounds than it does today?

EDIT: Come to think about it, The Beast's brake shed is not too far behind The Racer's turnarounds, so it couldn't have gone back too far...

I really really like those pen and inks, the cowboy and the vampire(?)

Thank you :) It's actually the mortician from the train ride. He was taken out when they revamped the ride to...well, no theming at all. The designer said that he used Boris Karloff (famous classic horror film actor) as reference when sculpting the character - see pic here http://www.imdb.com/...56992/nm0000472. Here is a comparison of the rendering next to the maquette that was once part of the ride:

trainmorticiancharactercomparisoncopy.jpg

~Josh

He reminds me of The Carrion from Will Eisner's "The Spirit". Up close, the work is fantastic

Let's see... There's a (pretty ratty looking, at this point) Tomb Raider: The Ride t-shirt, a Crypt t-shirt, a "vintage" KI logo t-shirt from this year, a WindSeeker tumbler, a Diamondback water bottle, a Coasting for Kids 2012 shirt, a 2008 Scooby Doo and The Haunted Castle keychain, a 2012 Beast on-ride photo, a 2009 Diamondback on-ride photo, park maps from 2008-present, a Boo Blasters on-ride photo from 2010, and a Diamondback VIP lanyard (from ACE's Fall Freak Out back in 2008). I feel like I'm forgetting something.

So I know it's not KI gear, but had to share this! (One day I'll get around to showing or telling of my KI Gear.

So last year a friend and I met a woman (Kim) and her son at Cedar Point. Ended up showing them around and having a great time. I recently met up with them and a different friend a few weeks ago. We all were sad about Disaster Transport leaving, I told Kim that I had a picture of a Disaster Transport thing that I wanted to put on my van (nicknamed Disaster Transport) as a magnet. Well she found it on my Facebook and I got this in the mail today:

rsz_dscn0132.jpg

• Like 2