About Diamondback

CoasterOhio

For awhile now me and my mom have been ranting about the fact that you actually NEED to wear flipflops or sandles on Diamondback yet you don't on WindSeeker. I know why for WindSeeker let go and they fall pretty far down and could really hurt but diamond back can be just as bad. Flying through the hills and then suddenly the sandle of flipflop flies off and hits someone behind you It can hurt. My question is why do you NEED to wear Sandles or Flipflops on Diamondback you are very much prone to loose them (I know the trick is not to come but just simple little question)

If I were to guess, I would have to say its for your safety. Let's say the ride breaks down in the lift an they have to evacuate you, they dont want you to walk down metal steps with barefeet. Or let's say it's breaks down in the MCBR and they have to evacuate there too. They don't want you walking on the road with bare feet. Saftey.

• Like 4

If you look in the topic about blackouts you will find a post about Aug.14, 2003. On that day people were evacuated from Magnum XL-200's lift.

EDIT: Here ya' go.

From Wiki:

"At Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, park employees had to help guests walk down the steps of the 205-foot (60 m)-tall Magnum XL-200 roller coaster, which had stopped on the lift hill due to the blackout. Several other guests had to be helped off rides as a result of the blackout."

http://en.wikipedia....lackout_of_2003

If B&M recommends shoes as a requirement for their coasters with floors, the park - of course - would have to follow this. I'd wager that the reason has more to do with stepping on and off the coaster train than specifically for MCBR evacuations. Inverted and floorless coasters don't have this requirement, for obvious reasons, but still have the potential for such an evacuation.

I do wonder what the owners of the flip flops caught in the nets around the final brake run do after losing them. Does the Diamondback gift/photo store sell replacements?

Bottom Line safety comes first I 10000% agree what HTCO is coming from!

B&M requires it. Kings Island has to follow manufacturer's guide lines.

How many B&M coasters have you ridden because out of all the sit-down stand up Floorless Inverts flying Hyper and Dive and Winged you must wear your shoes its a park rule not B&M.

Hmm its mighty funny you can take off your flip flops off on Behemoth at Wonderland same with Leviathan. Parks have different polices and Rules. people take off there shoes and flip flops on Raptor all the time same with the Batman clones at Six Flags.

Raptor doesn't have a floor. How is that a similar comparison? Griffon, Dominator, etc.. don't have floors. Diamondback has a floor. Millennium has a floor, do you wish to take your shoes off on that ride? Why?

Behemoth is in a whole different country, who may or may not be as stingy on the manufacturer's requirements as the state of Ohio is.

I do wonder what the owners of the flip flops caught in the nets around the final break run do after losing them. Does the Diamondback gift/photo store sell replacements?

SSSSHHHH!!! Don't give them MORE ideas to milk money from the paying customer!!!

• Like 2

Each ride is unique (i.e.: ride itself, terrain, park, manufacturer, insurer, state, inspector, etc. Combinations of each also need to be considered.), thus each will have a unique safety guideline.

There will be no one overall rhyme or reason for the decisions made.

Needless to say, it's a rule at the park....don't break it. As HTCO said, its for your safety. Have you actually looked at the mid course breaks and the stairwell to get down from them? A very tall spiral, metal grated staircase. Tell me, if you were to be evacuated from that point, would it be comfortable on your feet? Overall, there are various factors to why KI requires you to wear your shoes/flip flops while riding, including manufacturers guidelines.

I often wonder why people wear flip flops to a park anyway. Yeah, during the summer it's hot out, but the lack of support as you walk through the parks can't be good for your feet.

• Like 2