Flight Deck Removal?

stashua123

So rode FD twice today. I noticed that on the lift, it literally squeaked a fairly long and loud tone. The lift chain was barely moving, it wasn't until the entire train was on the lift, that the speed picked up. With S&S power taking care of Arrow coasters, I've heard that they've stopped carrying parts for the suspended coasters (as there are 3 on the North American Continent), making it harder for parks to get the parts when the rides go down. It makes me think that within 5 years, we won't have a Flight Deck.

Guest TombraiderTy

^There are four - Vortex at Canada's Wonderland, Flight Deck at Kings Island, Iron Dragon at Cedar Point, and Ninja at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

• Like 1

So rode FD twice today. I noticed that on the lift, it literally squeaked a fairly long and loud tone. The lift chain was barely moving, it wasn't until the entire train was on the lift, that the speed picked up. With S&S power taking care of Arrow coasters, I've heard that they've stopped carrying parts for the suspended coasters (as there are 3 on the North American Continent), making it harder for parks to get the parts when the rides go down. It makes me think that within 5 years, we won't have a Flight Deck.

the first bit can be answered simply, block section. FD has always (in my memory) crawled up the lift hill, till about mid way up the lift. Sort of like The Beast. All about blocks. For the second bit; if I remember correctly Terpy once, twice, thrice even, spoke that parts can always be ordered.

• Like 2

the first bit can be answered simply, block section. FD has always (in my memory) crawled up the lift hill, till about mid way up the lift. Sort of like The Beast. All about blocks. For the second bit; if I remember correctly Terpy once, twice, thrice even, spoke that parts can always be ordered.

Trust me, I know about blocking, as a former ride op at KI, the lift literally was slow as molasses with the 1 train op compared to the 2 train op that is usually going on. However, my original point was that the lift hardly started before the train was all the way on the lift chain. It wasn't like the train got on the lift and then slowed down, it was more of the kicker wheels were sending the train out faster than the chain could get started for the journey upward. It just seemed odd to me that the lift speed didn't pick up until the train was fully on the lift and only having one train operating. FD has 3 blocks, Block A being the lift, Block B being the Brakes and Block C being the station. If both Block B and C were open (which they were) the lift should be at normal speed, as it's not waiting for the block to clear. However, the lift wasn't even at "normal speed" until the train was 3/4 of the way up, at 3/4ths of the way up, something kept squeaking as I stated in my last post fairly loud and long. I've ridden FD hundreds to thousands of times and have never heard or experienced that noise.

And if they can't, they can be made.

Who's gonna make them though? I've heard rumblings that S&S Arrow do not make parts for Suspended coasters anymore on a couple other sites. Taking it with a grain of salt, but what happens when they stop?

TombRaiderTy I totally forgot about Ninja at SFMM, mainly because I've never ridden it, so yes...4 on the North American continent haha.

Don't get me wrong folks, I'd be devastated if Flight Deck left...but I am just saying I don't see it around for much more than 5 years. Just observations.

• Like 1

Many parks, machine shops, contractors and other ride manufacturers all have the capability to make parts. Giavonola, Morgan, Togo...out of business. Their coasters soldier on. Whips continue to run, with Mangels long since out of business. Models T and A are often seen on the road, yet Ford quit making most parts for them decades ago. Packards, Studebakers, even DeLoreans, too. A manufactuer not selling parts is usually not a critical factor in whether a ride continues.

Patents are another story, but are unlikely to be an issue here.

Who's gonna make them though? I've heard rumblings that S&S Arrow do not make parts for Suspended coasters anymore on a couple other sites. Taking it with a grain of salt, but what happens when they stop?

It is not difficult to take a part, reverse engineer it, and make it. We do it all the time in the shop I work at.

It will not be cheap, but far from impossible.

• Like 1

Is it worth it?

There are SO many variables, it would be impossible for us to guess correctly. Ultimately, it comes down to the almighty buck. Ridership comes into play, as well as how much individual attention is necessary for the ride (this takes away from other rides) to operate.

Location needs to also be considered, as in the case of BBW at BGE. That was a PRIME coaster location as we can see with Verbolten. I don't believe the same can be said of FD's location.

Typically, CF has long range plans for rides/ areas. They also don't usually install a major new ride in the same area (close together) in consecutive years. Given SoB is coming down, I assume a general makeover for AZ, and the next major project to go near SoB's former footprint.

My assumptions can also be full of crap as I didn't anticipate the removal of DT at CP given the last-second decision to remove WC, but if you look back to the decision to remove DD & installing WS you can see how CP planned GK many years in advance.

All that said, I don't see FD being removed for a handful of years. (of course since I said that, it's gonna close at the end of the year ;) )

• Like 1

I was there on monday and it wa squeeking pretty loud.

^King Cobra?

It wasn't like the train got on the lift and then slowed down, it was more of the kicker wheels were sending the train out faster than the chain could get started for the journey upward.

Since you are a former employee of Kings Island, you should know that there are no pusher wheels on Flight Deck. In addition, the claim about blocking and Flight Deck's chain is correct.

• Like 1