Flight Deck Removal?

stashua123

^King Cobra?

It wasn't like the train got on the lift and then slowed down, it was more of the kicker wheels were sending the train out faster than the chain could get started for the journey upward.

Since you are a former employee of Kings Island, you should know that there are no pusher wheels on Flight Deck. In addition, the claim about blocking and Flight Deck's chain is correct.

I didn't work on Flight Deck, nor have I looked it completely over. But I did just talk with a former supervisor on FD, and I stand corrected. Either way, didn't seem like the chain could keep up with the train. Haha. In reality, it's all about perception. To me, it could have been a slow lift, to someone else, it could have been a normal one.

Hah, I haven't looked the ride over either. I have just been in the front, around the station, and sitting at a standstill on the brake run so much, I think I would have noticed pusher wheels. To me, the chain speed is the same it always was.

Is it me, or do others also love hearing the brakes open and close as well as the mechanical hum of the giant lift gear speeding up and slowing down?

• Like 4

I'm with you, I'm so intrigued by the breaks and the lift gear. Not just on Flight Deck. Riding Racer on Monday, I just kept staring at the breaks as they would open and close in the waiting breaks (sitting in the front seat of course)

Some did not find the breaks on Son of Beast amusing. Others thought that ride could have used a few more breaks. And at least a few riders would have been glad to not get the breaks they did on that coaster.

Terp, who will put the brakes on this break stuff, for now.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me, or do others also love hearing the brakes open and close as well as the mechanical hum of the giant lift gear speeding up and slowing down?

I'm with you too. Not only do I love FD's mechanical noises, I also feel that way about Vortex. I mean, since I first rode it, I've always LOVED the brake noises, and especially that chain... :rolleyes:(I even have a video that I took on 8/28/11 of (particularly) Vortex's station brakes.)

• 3 months later...

I think that's half the enjoyment about roller coasters and or flat rides are their unique "personalities" they convey through their sounds they make. I love all of them! I will say I think Invetigo's cable lift mechanism almost reminds me of a nice purring sound and who can forget SoB's roaring chain dogs that demanded your attention from across the park? Oh and I love the Monster's multitude of sounds while gearing up.

But back to the point...I won't be surprised the day poor Flight Deck meets the hacksaw. I love the spunky little suspended coaster and appreciate its historic significance as the last of its breed to be built, but I know ultimately historic value cannot always save a coaster from being dismantled *sigh*

• Like 4

I think if Kings Island ACTUALLY tries to make this a popular ride(repainting and such) it will become a popular ride.

Why would new paint make it more popular? Also, it was repainted not too long ago. Also, you don't know the associated maintenance costs, throughput capacity or any other factors that go into determining if keeping such an attraction is beneficial.

Flight Deck isn't being removed. The ride celebrates its 20th annivesary season in 2013.

Glad to hear.

Flight Deck has really grown on me this past season, as I seemed to enjoy it the more times I rode it. (but not all in the same day lol)

I really like how it is hidden, makes it my go-to when the park is crowded. I'm curious to see if it will remain my gem with the area being cleared around it now though.

• Like 2

Flight Deck isn't being removed. The ride celebrates its 20th annivesary season in 2013.

20 years.... and now I know how my parents feel... I was 7 when this ride opened?

I remember being so afraid of the ride that the first time my family rode it, I stepped out and hung out in the little kid waiting area....

• Like 2

Well it looks like this year's FD debate has been settled. Thank you Don! :)

But I posted this in a different thread, and felt it would be appropriate here:

"Even though it is an enjoyable ride. It is over rather quickly and at times seems to beat the absolute tar out of you. Especially with the OTS restraints on it. Now let it be known, I am one that said I could tolerate all of the Holiday World's woodies and even Sonny wasn't too bad IMO. But for some reason, Flight Deck just beats me.

I like the suspended aspect of the ride, because its becoming a rarity nowadays, but the short duration of the ride, the roughness, and the absence of themeing after the Paramount buyout just all make this ride an after thought to me. And if the length of the lines for this ride are any indication, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

In addition, Flight Deck sits on a lot of prime real estate right now. The long trek to get to the ride itself along with the plot the ride sits on seems like a significant amount of space. And with Son of Beast out of the way and Thunder Alley hearby excavated as well, who's to say that Flight Deck wouldn't be next on the chopping block when it comes down to an Action Zone re-haul? With Flight Deck's life span diminishing, it looks to me like it would be a decent move to start fresh."

Now, it obviously won't happen this season, but in the next year or two, or three, I could see it being a possibility that gets thrown on the good ole' planning table.

In addition, Flight Deck sits on a lot of prime real estate right now. The long trek to get to the ride itself along with the plot the ride sits on seems like a significant amount of space. And with Son of Beast out of the way and Thunder Alley hearby excavated as well, who's to say that Flight Deck wouldn't be next on the chopping block when it comes down to an Action Zone re-haul? With Flight Deck's life span diminishing, it looks to me like it would be a decent move to start fresh."

You see, I like Flight Deck myself and I understand your point. As far as land is concerned, would it be possible just to remove the long line of queue that isn't needed anymore? When I rode Flight Deck last year, I saw a lot of people cut through part of the queue so they wouldn't have to go all the way around. So what I'm saying is this ride is still a popular ride, so I cannot see it going anywhere for 5 more years at least. Unless Kings Island plans to build a newer B&M Inverted roller coaster in the area which is possible, It makes sense just to keep it for now.

Now, it obviously won't happen this season, but in the next year or two, or three, I could see it being a possibility that gets thrown on the good ole' planning table.

You see, I like Flight Deck myself and I understand your point. As far as land is concerned, would it be possible just to remove the long line of queue that isn't needed anymore? When I rode Flight Deck last year, I saw a lot of people cut through part of the queue so they wouldn't have to go all the way around. So what I'm saying is this ride is still a popular ride, so I cannot see it going anywhere for 5 more years at least. Unless Kings Island plans to build a newer B&M Inverted roller coaster in the area which is possible, It makes sense just to keep it for now.