Flight Deck Removal?

stashua123

Love Flight Deck...very fun ride. To me, though, it is simply not worth the time it takes to walk from one side of the park to the other for less than two minutes of ride time. Heck, even from Invertigo or Congo Falls, it is a haul.

It is a shame that it is cut off from the rest of the park.

I feel that will change here in the near future...one way, or another.

• Like 2

I like the suspended aspect of the ride, because its becoming a rarity nowadays, but the short duration of the ride, the roughness, and the absence of themeing after the Paramount buyout just all make this ride an after thought to me. And if the length of the lines for this ride are any indication, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

In addition, Flight Deck sits on a lot of prime real estate right now. The long trek to get to the ride itself along with the plot the ride sits on seems like a significant amount of space. And with Son of Beast out of the way and Thunder Alley hearby excavated as well, who's to say that Flight Deck wouldn't be next on the chopping block when it comes down to an Action Zone re-haul? With Flight Deck's life span diminishing, it looks to me like it would be a decent move to start fresh.

See, the thing is: I don't think the length of the lines are necessarily an indication. Given the decently people capacity per train, consistently good operations, and the relatively short ride, I'd bet Flight Deck probably has one of the higher throughputs of any ride in the park. I'm not saying it's secretly got a huge ridership or something, but it's not often that you see a genuinely empty (as in 100% devoid of riders) station. Invertigo, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Woodstock Whirlybirds almost always have lines, but are they actually popular, or do they just not move people very well? Same goes for Tombstone Terror-tory during Haunt. I'd say the fact that Flight Deck maintains any line at all many days says a lot.

I do see your point about its age, though. It's 20 years old this year. Big Bad Wolf made it to 25 before Busch Gardens pulled the plug, though BBW appears to have had more drastic swinging. It wouldn't surprise me to see Flight Deck go in the next five to seven years or so. And I'll definitely miss it when it does!

• Like 1

I think the walk back to Flight Deck only seems as long as it is (about two minutes from midway to station with a quick stride) because there's really nothing to look at during the walk, so all you notice is putting one foot in front of the other. So here's an idea I just had:

Now that SOB is out of the way, take out half to two-thirds of the queue and exit for Flight Deck and extend the AZ midway back that way. Then put in several rides along the new stretch of midway (I'm thinking small flats here like Flying Eagles, a Tilt-A-Whirl, etc.). A major coaster to replace SOB (if they go that route) could have it's entrance/exit back here also, or up where Thunder Alley used to be. You could also put a food or snack stand back here as well.

Now the walk back to Flight Deck probably won't seem as long because you can stop and look at the flats, grab a thimble-sized cup of ice water, maybe be distracted when a train on the brand-spanking-new record-breaking coaster that replaced SOB (yeah, right :P) roars overhead, and by the time you reach what's left of the Flight Deck queue, you've barely noticed the length of the walk. This would also have benefit of simplifying the queues for Club Blood, Wolf Pack, and Flight Deck during Haunt, as it would no longer be necessary to reconfigure the FD exit to serve as the entrance for all three.

Anybody else like this, or am I missing something obvious (other than cost) as to why this wouldn't work?

• Like 8

Now that SOB is out of the way, take out half to two-thirds of the queue and exit for Flight Deck and extend the AZ midway back that way. Then put in several rides along the new stretch of midway (I'm thinking small flats here like Flying Eagles, a Tilt-A-Whirl, etc.). A major coaster to replace SOB (if they go that route) could have it's entrance/exit back here also, or up where Thunder Alley used to be. You could also put a food or snack stand back here as well.

That's what I was trying to say but I didn't spit it out. ;)

• Like 2

That would solve it, but like most anything, it would take some time. I have often thought the same thing; simply, there aren't any other attractions or food stands on the trip. Because you definitely walk longer distances to get to a ride in the back of the park.. but you wouldn't notice the distance as much since you can easily ride something else or get distracted by taking in the park ambiance.

• Like 3

I think if Kings Island ACTUALLY tries to make this a popular ride(repainting and such) it will become a popular ride.

Why would new paint make it more popular? Also, it was repainted not too long ago. Also, you don't know the associated maintenance costs, throughput capacity or any other factors that go into determining if keeping such an attraction is beneficial.

Why don't you remember? The waterpark was repainted and look at that popularity. :P In all due respect I don't think that Flight Deck is on the chopping block for a long while, it is the only swinging inverted coaster in the park.

And technically Flight Deck is not an inverted coaster. It is a suspended coaster, the last one that was built by Arrow Dynamics. Inverted coasters are like Raptor at Cedar Point and Invertigo. To add further confusion to the matter, Vekoma (the manufacturer of Invertigo), calls their inverted coasters suspended looping coasters (or SLC).

I think if Kings Island ACTUALLY tries to make this a popular ride(repainting and such) it will become a popular ride.

Why would new paint make it more popular? Also, it was repainted not too long ago. Also, you don't know the associated maintenance costs, throughput capacity or any other factors that go into determining if keeping such an attraction is beneficial.

Why don't you remember? The waterpark was repainted and look at that popularity. :P In all due respect I don't think that Flight Deck is on the chopping block for a long while, it is the only swinging inverted coaster in the park.

Flight Deck is one of the only swinging inverted coasters left in the world.

The rest aren't (or don't look) particularly fun either. Iron Dragon is nice, but it doesn't have the swinging and high speeds Flight Deck and Vortex have. I've never ridden Vampire at Chessington but I hear the floorless Vekoma trains really dampen the swinging.

Eagle Fortress looked like an awesome ride. it's a shame it has been closed (and is on the other side of the world) I also really regret never riding Big Bad Wolf. The only two Arrow Suspended coasters I have ridden are the two in Ohio.

^ Don't feel bad, I never rode Big bad wolf either. ;)

You fanboys complain about the supposed long walk to Flightdeck yet you walk around a big ass amusement park all day?

Physical exertion has nothing to do with it. It's the lack of anything to keep us occupied on the way back that is the problem.

• Like 3

You fanboys complain about the supposed long walk to Flightdeck yet you walk around a big ass amusement park all day?

Physical exertion has nothing to do with it. It's the lack of anything to keep us occupied on the way back that is the problem.

Keep you occupied? It's a que(sp?) line for a ride. It's sole purpose is to line people up to ride the ride and it does just that. What more do you want?

• Like 1

Keep you occupied? It's a que(sp?) line for a ride. It's sole purpose is to line people up to ride the ride and it does just that. What more do you want?

It would "do just that" if the line of people waiting to ride was actually still long enough to fill most of the queue. As it is, I would not be surprised if the long walk to get back there turns people off from the idea of riding it. It's also wasted space, particularly now that SOB is out of the way.