Flight Deck Removal?

stashua123

I would suspect that they will get rid of the section of SOB closest to Flight Deck so they can continue the ride during the time they are open and taking down SOB. They probably already have begun working on it but it's only slowly and probably in the back half of the coaster.

• Like 1

i like the shoe store music analogy. I miss the "International" music that played on Intl. Street- the German music that played in Oktoberfest- the old-town music that played in Rivertown... As I walk through the gates, seeing the Eiffel Tower doesn't exactly strike me as "top 40/pop" music ambiance.

I keep holding out hope that the new CEO, especially with his background, will take the excellent theming already in place and begin to use it...

• Like 11

I would like if they readded the old music scores to the Parmount rides. Much better than what feels like 15-30sec loop of music they use for most rides. I wonder if Snoopy will stick with the parks? does Terpy know when Snoopy contract ends so I can get my hopes up? :)

Edit: Had to fix before I get the world famous terpy qoute: "Someone knows".

Well, the Hunger Games' score isn't too good... I'd prefer pop than that score!

BLASPHEMY. You take that back.

;) Actually, I can see where you could think that. I just happen to love it--the contrast between District 12's music and the Arena's/Capitol's music is huge and fits each location perfectly. I'm not overly familiar with James Newton Howard, but I do like what I've heard of his. I'm a huge fan of Hans Zimmer, but I was let down, of all things, by the Dark Knight Rises score. (Not the movie! Just the score.) It's not bad, but it feels very repetitive, particularly with the chanting. Considering my love for the Inception score, I had higher expectations for it than what it was.

On the topic of Flight Deck's music: I do very much like the music they're playing this year. (I'm not sure if it's the same from last year.) It seems like they've got the volume turned up just a smidge too much for the speakers to handle, though--those things crackle like a bowl of Rice Krispies when the music gets dramatic. I like how loud the music is, but it just seems like the audio system couldn't be pushed much further.

• Like 3

^^Drop Tower's music is 2:17, Flight Deck has a never ending loop of differentiating music, Invertigo's is about 1:30, Adventure Express plays the Raider's March non stop, The Racer has a never ending loop of 70's music, The Beast plays a, never. ending. loop of music from "Lost"...Do I have to go on more about how very few rides (Delirium may be the only one) have 30 second-clips? :P

^^^I don't know why they were removing the Firehawk shirts. In what fashion were they doing so?

EDIT: TombRaiderFTW, I'm listening to The Dark Knight Rises score right now, and I'm enjoying every second of it! :wub: I agree, the chanting could be a bit toned down, but it fits the pieces perfectly. Did you like the Dark Knight score? James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer collaborated for that score, but Dark Knight Rises was all Hans. I like how Hans Zimmer made a main theme for the Batmen movies and wrote many of his scores around that. Maybe that's too repetitive for you?

I didn't feel as captivated by The Hunger Games' score. I just felt Hans Zimmer could do better (sorry!). I'm with you on Flight Deck's speakers. The ones in the queue are bad, but the station speakers are great! I love the Inception score, and am too a huge Hans Zimmer fan.

I also like Michael Giaccino.

• Like 1

^^ I've never actually heard the Dark Knight score (or Batman Begins, for that matter), though I've been meaning to do so for quite some time. I'll have to look it up. I've heard JNH turned down the opportunity to work on TDKR's score because he felt like a third wheel with Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer on TDK. And nah, I wouldn't say having a main theme for a movie series makes the score repetitive at all... That's actually one of my favorite features of movie series' scores (e.g. the Harry Potter series.) Apart from the first few tracks, TDKR's score just feels like a whole lot of the same really intense, dramatic, and violin-driven orchestral booms at a high tempo. But to each his own! :) (To be fair, I also have yet to really sit down and listen directly to TDKR's score in its entirety. It's usually been while doing something else, so I probably haven't paid enough attention.)

• Like 1

I would suspect that they will get rid of the section of SOB closest to Flight Deck so they can continue the ride during the time they are open and taking down SOB. They probably already have begun working on it but it's only slowly and probably in the back half of the coaster.

Or they do that section once the park closes. I would say they will just take the brakes, chain, sensors and stuff off first, then begin on the Rose Bowl.

• Like 1

On the topic of Flight Deck's music: I do very much like the music they're playing this year. (I'm not sure if it's the same from last year.) It seems like they've got the volume turned up just a smidge too much for the speakers to handle, though--those things crackle like a bowl of Rice Krispies when the music gets dramatic. I like how loud the music is, but it just seems like the audio system couldn't be pushed much further.

I think you're being very kind using the word "smidge" referring to the volume. We walked back there today and couldn't believe how loud it was, and how bad the speakers sounded. It's a long enough of a walk as it is, but adding a constantly crackling dramatic score coming from speakers that look like they came from a DMV loudspeaker system makes the walk much worse. Everything else at KI is so much higher quality than this system.

The Carneys at the county fair midway called...they want their sound system back!

• Like 3

Speakers used for the outdoor climate should be weatherproof, so weather SHOULDN'T be the issue, here. If it is, another Paramount FAIL!

Jdawg, I love the singing part of Drop Tower. It makes time pass, and *I* feel the singing fits the atmosphere of the ride for some reason. Leave Van Halen alone!

• Like 2

Speakers used for the outdoor climate should be weatherproof, so weather SHOULDN'T be the issue, here. If it is, another Paramount

FAIL!....

What? Paramount has been gone more than six years now. You don't even know if they are the same speakers. Even if they are, the problem only recently presented itself, and the speakers would now be at least six plus years old. I suppose you think Paramount Parks should now come back and replace them?

Jiminy Cricket! Cedar Fair owns the speakers and is solely responsible for them, as it has been for years. Quit taking every opportunity, reasonable or not, to blame Paramount Parks for every little thing. It's getting old.

• Like 4

Speakers used for the outdoor climate should be weatherproof, so weather SHOULDN'T be the issue, here. If it is, another Paramount FAIL!

You are assuming they are weatherproof speakers, which I doubt as those speakers are VERY expensive.

You also need to keep in mind that even if "weatherproof": they will still not last forever and the wiring for the speakers is not weatherproof (I have thought numerous times a speaker was blown only to find out the wiring went bad).

Quit taking every opportunity, reasonable or not, to blame Paramount Parks for every little thing. It's getting old.

If I had a nickle everytime I heard the same type of comments about Mr. Knizel or CF in general, I could afford a FP & locker on the same day. ;)
  • Like 2

^^ There could be numerous reasons.

A few off the top of my head:

- Budget did not allow extra expense for weatherproof speakers

- Speakers were promo item from vendor

- Speakers were "rented" from vendor & park allowed service contract to expire.

- Person ordering speakers did not know what they were ordering

- Person ordering did not believe the extra expense was worthwhile.

There is one thing I have learned over the years; what does not make sense now, very could have well made sense back then, we just have the benefit of hindsight.

• Like 1

Jdawg, I love the singing part of Drop Tower. It makes time pass, and *I* feel the singing fits the atmosphere of the ride for some reason. Leave Van Halen alone!

You're right. It's paramounts fault for not using speakers that last an eternity. Cedar Fair is just as responsible, if not MORE, to update them. It's their park now. They can't whine around and wish for Paramount to fix every little thing. If anything, the speakers are a Cedar Fair fail. It just shows how little they care about the small things.

I'd prefer to not drag this out further than this need be, but I guess it was also Cedar Fair's fault for the Son of Beast incident that happened 7 days (give or take) within park buyout. Legally, yes. But really, FUN had little to nothing to do with it.

Due diligence.

Cedar Fair had ample opportunity to inspect and investigate what it was buying. The acquisition contract, which has never been made public, specifies how liability as between the parties was to be handled in situations occurring shortly after the acquisition.

Also, Paramount Parks may well have not operated Son of Beast that day. Cedar Fair did.

Even though Paramount Parks had sold out lock, stock and coaster, somehow TheCrypt tells us Cedar Fair was not responsible. In the interests of public safety, should the park have been closed until the owner and operator felt responsible?

TheCrypt apparently has access to information the rest of us do not.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to not drag this out further than this need be, but I guess it was also Cedar Fair's fault for the Son of Beast incident that happened 7 days (give or take) within park buyout. Legally, yes. But really, FUN had little to nothing to do with it.

Many fingers could be pointed in many directions when it comes down to who is at fault for SoB, I personally do not believe CF is "to blame". The broken sternums would have happened no matter who owned the park.

That does not excuse CF for everything as they would have to be: deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid to not know SoB was a problem child prior to purchase.

I do give CF credit for their attept to fix SoB as I believe they did more than Paramount would have done. This also includes eliminating more potential injuries by pulling the trigger to close SoB permanently.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...