Blast from the past in latest KI newsletter

malem

I did a bit of a double take when reading about 1995(!)'s improvements in the latest KI newsletter:

EDIT: It seems this was intentional, as the web page version of the newsletter includes the "Flashback" heading. In the email

version, it appears without a heading at the end of a copyright message.

Green slime invades the park when Nickelodeon Splat City explodes onto the scene, introducing a new brand of messy fun.

The Skycoaster (EXtreme Skyflyer) opens in Adventure Village, allowing guests to experience the breathtaking thrill of hang gliding and skydiving at the same time as they dive at speeds up to 60 miles per hour while free-falling 17 stories towards the Earth, skimming just six feet above the ground.

I was very young during this era of the park, so I remember it quite fondly. The Nickelodeon "atmosphere" with an abundance of green slime (a Big Thing in the 90s) was combined with rides based on timeless Hanna-Barbara characters (also still popular in the 90s), and Phantom Theater operated with all its detailed animatronics working. I still enjoy seeing the "phantom" playing the organ on the Boo Blasters ride, as a throwback to the previous attraction in the building.

I've seen others post here that SDatHC/BBoBH is more fitting for young children, as it's less likely to scare young children. My only recollection of being scared in PT was in the queue, when the phantom would turn around from his organ and speak to those in line. I distinctly recall loving both the detail of the scenes and the sense of fear upon entering the building. The ride had a sense of thrill (for children at least), which is certainly missing today. This was my favorite ride as a young child, if you couldn't tell, followed by Scooby Zoom (Great Pumpkin Coaster), the Zephyr, WWC, and KMLF (Race for your life Charlie Brown)/KCKC.

• Like 1