Sandusky Airport Sold

I said a long time ago this was going to happen.....the airport in Sandusky, Ohio has been sold. It is located across the bay from Cedar Point. The former owners, Griffing Flying Service, had said that if Cedar Point offered them the right amount of money, they'd sell them the property. Now, I can't confirm that CP (CF) actually was the buyer, but the story I had heard years ago was that CP was going to move their parking to the mainland and have some kind of shuttle service to the park, a la Disney (with their busses & monorail). Well, now we have a former Disney man running CF - maybe this monorail thing isn't all that far fetched if CF did purchase the property. And, the new ride for 2013 is said to travel over the current main entrance booths.

Hummmmmm...........

• Like 2

Using prime lakefront land for an overflow lot seems like a waste. If Cedar Fair is indeed the buyer, it could be envisioned as a third gate. A boat ride between Cedar Point and this location could be interesting. Even without a plan, I'm sure prime property this close to the flagship is appealing.

Cedar Point already has (upcharge) paddlewheel boats leaving from the Marina and touring the lake, presumably meant to replace PE. Directing them to this property and/or the nearby Castaway Bay marina doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

This lot is a bit over 100 acres. A perfect size for, say, a large water park, another hotel, and a parking lot. It would be nice to have a destination waterpark at Cedar Point, as Soak City definitely is not one.

Boats were the only way to CP until 1914 when the old causeway was opened. People would take an interurban from Cleveland or Toledo to Sandusky and hop aboard a boat. Auto travel to CP did not boom until after WW2 which steadly rose until 1952 when the last ship, G A Boeckling was retired.

• Like 1