Cedar Point's Gatekeeper: Your reaction?

McSalsa

Cedar Point, Kings Island's sister park to the north, has just officially announced their new coaster unto the world. This poll is very simple- what is your first impression? Does this make up for the loss of Space Spiral & Disaster Transport?

Here is the official site for Gatekeeper:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/Gatekeeper

I suggest watching the official POV to get a decent idea of what this coaster will be like, but it's up to you on that. Here that is, on Youtube, from CoasterForce (supplied by CP):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2IM9h2Gyo4&feature=g-u-u

Enjoy the poll. If you dislike the topic, click back.

McSalsa's Personal Opinion:

This ride is awesome, and yes, it does make up for the old rides.

So what are the reasons for Gatekeeper not having the B&M roar like Raptor and Mantis does? Why is CP eliminating that?

My guess is so there isn't a roar right above the main entrance to the park. Personally, I would love to be welcomed with the roar of a B&M, but others may not.

I'm very excited for this ride and I can't wait to ride it. While I will miss Disaster Transport, Gatekeeper seems to be a vastly better attraction. Hopefully, I will be attending opening day so I can ride it, as I've been waiting for a new roller coaster at CP since 2007!

Gatekeeper looks pretty darn cool. :D Although I will miss Disaster Transport, Gatekeeper seems like a worthy replacement and I feel it will probably be an iconic Cedar Point ride not unlike Millienium Force, Dragster, Raptor and the park's other big coasters.

I think that it looks amazing and will most definately need to ride it. I also think that it is a worthy replacement, but the other two rides (moreso Disaster Transport) will be missed.

Thought: Why couldn't they fill the spine with sand only in the double zero G rolls and the turnaround, then leave the rest sand-less like the rest of the B&M's? I guess it would sound awkward, with the roaring of coaster only to go silent, then roar again, so I guess I answered my own question! :P

Woo hoo!!! I can't wait. PS-I wonder if they'll have to rename this ride because of local pressure? I remember how the original name for Mantis was Banshee but, because the name was so dark, the park was pressured into re-naming it. The name The Gatekeeper seems just as dark if not darker than Banshee.

Wish I could find that old Mantis ad with that smart alecky kid about to step on the bug while the voice-over says " Ever wonder why you were told never to step on a Mantis?

Anyway, love how the ride just soars around the entrance. I had heard rumors that originally it was going to be a combination wing coaster and flyer. While a flyer would have been nice, I'm kind of relieved that it is just a sit-down coaster as flyers can be kind of uncomfortable.

...Thought: Why couldn't they fill the spine with sand only in the double zero G rolls and the turnaround, then leave the rest sand-less like the rest of the B&M's? silent....

Alpengeist, at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, was the first B&M to get sand in the rails, as it is very near a ritzy subdivision. Talon, at Dorney, has it, too; for the same residential reason.

Perhaps not coincidentally, there is at least one ritzy residence not far from Cedar Point's front gate.

• Like 1

...Thought: Why couldn't they fill the spine with sand only in the double zero G rolls and the turnaround, then leave the rest sand-less like the rest of the B&M's? silent....

Alpengeist, at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, was the first B&M to get sand in the rails, as it is very near a ritzy subdivision. Talon, at Dorney, has it, too; for the same residential reason.

Perhaps not coincidentally, there is at least one ritzy residence not far from Cedar Point's front gate.

Hmmm never thought of that possibility. And to think he is still making nickels off of this Gatekeeper.

I thoroughly enjoyed Wild Eagle at Dollywood. The only issue I see with this type of ride is that because the entrance and exit platforms for each side of the train are on the same side, it can hurt capacity as you essentially have to hold opening the gates until the people exiting the train have made their way away from the seats. Other than that, I really enjoyed Wild Eage, which is a great addition to Dollywood. Gate Keeper looks to be an awesome new attraction for Cedar Point, which hasn`t added a new coaster since Maverick in 2007!

My one question about this ride, especially considering where its at, is why they stopped at 170' with a 163' drop, and a top speed of 67mph. Though it will still get the records with those stats, I am amazed that CP didnt go at least 180 for a more intense feeling right off the lake, and try for 75-80mph.

EDIT: To stop the comments right now, I am NOT some "thoosie" who isnt satisfied when it comes to this. I am a hobbyist, it geuinely makes no difference to me beyond sheer curoisity/thought, and I in NO way said it isnt going to be a very good ride as-is. Of course I will still enjoy it, I am simply a speedfreak and Love as much as I can get at all times.

The best thing I am noticing is the constant speed. I haven't been on a wing coaster yet, but from watching X-Flight testing in May and online POVs, they all seem to have pacing issues (awesome first drop, 'meh' rest.) Gatekeeper appears to go fast through the keyholes as well, which isn't something Chicago can say.