Holiday World TR 8-14-12

BeastForever

Just got back from Holiday World. It was a lot of fun! We stayed at the Santa's Lodge the night before(which was only about 2 minutes from Holiday World). We got up early and got there at the 9:30 opening. The first thing me and my friends did was run to The Voyage. And It was a walk-on! It was pretty awesome having arguably the greatest roller coaster ever built mostly all to ourselves. The ride was amazing! We rode about 7 times and then it started to really hurt. No, I wouldn't exactly call the ride rough. It's just that it's about a minute and a half and non-stop twists, turns, and lots of lateral g's. After that we grabbed a free drink from a nearby Pepsi Oasis and headed to Gobbler Getaway. It was an amusing ride but there weren't many targets to shoot at. After that we headed to The Legend and it was closed, but we only had to wait a couple of minutes for it to open. So we went on, and it was great! The howl at the top of the lift hill really got me. After Legend, we walked to Raven and waited 15-20 minutes. Although there weren't many people in line, it moved quite slow. (Just 1 of the 2 trains were running) After riding Raven me and my friends were a little dissapointed as it was very short. I guess if we would've ridden Raven before Legend and Voyage we would have thought it was better.

So anyways it's about 1 'o' clock so we decide it's time to eat. We ate at the Goblin Burgers in the Halloween area and it was very good. After we ate we decided to head to the waterpark. The first ride we ride is Pilgrim's Plunge. My mom managed to build up the courage to ride so she rode with us. It was a great ride (the elevator lift was a little scary). After that, my friends and I ride Bakuli. It was fun. Then, we head to Wildebeest, but It was closed! So head to Mammoth and wait in a REALLY LONG line. Although the line did move quick for a waterslide. I bet if Wildebeest would have been open the line for Mammoth would have been half as long. But Mammoth was worth the long wait, I loved the hills and the tunnels, even though the water was cold. After that, we ride ZOOMbabwe. A a great ride as well. Then we ride Zinga twice, and in my opinion it was better than Mondo Monsoon. You go way higher of the wall than MM. Then we ride Watubee which was a walk-on. And eventually at 5:30 the waterpark closed. So we hurried to the dry park for an extra hour to ride The Voyage. One thing I noticed is that on the sides of the station building, has the Amusement Today Golden Ticket Award logo saying "Voted Best Roller Coaster on the Planet!". Now I know The Voyage was rated best wood coaster. But is it actually considered the BEST of steel and wood? I mean I would think so but maybe not.

Anyways, Holiday World is a great park. It is very clean and the workers are friendly. I don't think I saw a piece of trash on the ground all day. We enjoyed the free drinks. It really saves a lot of time and money not having to pay $4 drink and not having to wait in a slow-moving concession line. It's a shame I didn't get to ride Wildebeest as I was really looking forward to it. Down below are reviews 1 to 10 ratings of different rides and aspects of the park.

The Voyage 10/10- My new favorite coaster! (sorry Maverick) Incredible roller coaster experience. Half the time, you're not even in your seat. There is so much airtime and moments of crazy, fun, lateral g's that your flying up, down, and sideways in your seat. Oh yeah, and the 90 degree banked turns are insane! Best. Coaster. Ever. :)

The Legend 9/10- Another great coaster by Holiday World. I loved the howling wolf sound effect at the top of the lift hill and the tunnel at the bottom of first drop, and that helix turn about midway through the ride seems to last forever!

The Raven 7/10- Didn't really live up to the hype.

Pilgrim's Plunge 9/10- The drop was great!

Mammoth 9/10- A great water-coaster. I loved the hydromagnets!

ZOOMbabwe 9/10- A fun, mysterious tube slide!

Zinga 8.5/10- Very fun as well, you seem to go a lot higher of the walls than most other half-pipe funnel slide.

Bakuli 8.5/10- Also very fun, the bowl was interesting.

Park Cleanliness 10/10- As I said before I did not see a piece of trash on the ground all day. There were also none of those of those black marks on the concrete that you would find at Kings Island.

Employee Friendliness 9.5/10- All the workers were very friendly and you could actually conversations with some of them!

Quality of Food 10/10- As far as I know the food was very good. The chicken tenders at Goblin burgers were delicious!

Overall Park 9.5/10

I managed to snap a couple of pictures while I was there.

016.jpg

011.jpg

• Like 5

I love the elevator lift on pilgrim's plunge. I usually ask if there are first timers on the ride then freak out when the boat tips as it passes the other lift coming down. (I know pretty mean but hey its funny)

I too agree that Raven is overrated. Its a fun ride but its so short. If I was a kid first riding roller coasters I'd probably think it was the best thing ever. But other than the turn over the water and the ride after the fifth drop its just okay to me. The airtime in the back though is pretty good.

Glad to see the Voyage claim another #1 spot on a coaster fan's best of list. I still find it incredible that the ride can pack so much punch throughout the entire ride. World class stuff.

Overall nice trip report. I'm glad you had a good time. HW is my favorite park and Voyage is my #1 coaster on my list. Next time if wildebeest is open, you should ride it. It is awesome and now that mammoth is built everyone goes to that ride instead of wildebeest.