The Most Ridiculous Thing a Ride Operator has told you.

Original

• 3 months later...

A ride op? well nothing but a cashier at Attitudes i fooled with refused to give me my change back after i bought something and as i left the store he said heres your change, (my name) and was oddly confused why he knew my name till i realized he heard my friends saying my name.

• Like 1

That reminds me of how every time I went through a Haunt maze, the scareactors would scream my name because they heard my friends screaming it...

Ha! Ive had that happen to me a whole bunch this year. Gives me chills everytime they do it though.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Diamondback is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We are unsure of when it will return to operation. You do not have to get out of line but if you do decide to get out of line, you forfeit your spot in line. Thank You and Sorry for the inconvenience."

This is not ridiculous, but I've heard many GP and sometimes Enthusiast complain when this happens. "I planned my whole day for this park and all I had left was to ride Diamondback, my entire trip is ruined."

• Like 4

The re-ride policy at Dollywood provides a perfect opportunity for someone to make up reasons for the policy. I've heard several on my crew tell guests they had to go around because we have a tin roof. The Blazing Fury version is cracks in the ceiling.

Flyer, who HATES enforcing this policy!

• Like 4

^Fortunately on Thunderhead, I can usually go down the exit and up the entrance in time for the next train.

I remember at Indiana Beach, the ride operators on Hoosier Hurricane and Cornball Express would time the dispatches so both trains would come down the side-by-side hill about the same time. One of the C.E. ops would tell us if our coaster got to the bottom first, that we could go get free tacos from the H.H. ride ops.

• Like 4

Most of the time all the ride ops ive met are REALLY nice. They allow rerides as much as you want and even give you a dip-n-dots info guy that makes you imagine. One day i geuss Cedar Fair hired a guy right in front of SoB (summer of 2012 before the announcement) to when people say why is it closed he would tell the entire history of the ride and why its closed! Yep i have no complaints about Kings Island ops or any employees!

• Like 2

I can post this one too. A friend of mine was at Dollywood. (I wasn't there for this as I was working.) He witnessed someone asking what the big deal was that her daughter was just "that much too short." The ride host looked at her and said, calmly, "Well ma'am, she could fall out and die." Since then it has been a standing joke in the attractions department.

• Like 1

I've heard someone ask if there was a waiver they could sign so their kid who was significantly too short could ride.

That happens way too frequently. Then there was the guest who asked Kat if they had a booster seat that he could use at Mystery Mine. That's when you just want to say, "There's the gate. Use it!"

It's even more fun when you're working at a ride the first season after the minimum height was raised. I had this experience when working at what was then Beastie in 2005. I don't know the park's reasons for changing the height requirement, but we ended up with a lot of angry parents whose kids were tall enough to ride it in 2004 but hadn't yet hit the 42" requirement to ride it in 2005.

• Like 1

It's even more fun when you're working at a ride the first season after the minimum height was raised. I had this experience when working at what was then Beastie in 2005. I don't know the park's reasons for changing the height requirement, but we ended up with a lot of angry parents whose kids were tall enough to ride it in 2004 but hadn't yet hit the 42" requirement to ride it in 2005.

Wouldn't want to be you that season!! I get annoyed enough when the kids are tall enough for the rides around the general area, but not mine.

That happens way too frequently. Then there was the guest who asked Kat if they had a booster seat that he could use at Mystery Mine. That's when you just want to say, "There's the gate. Use it!"

Not only did you steal my story, you didn't tell it right!

Because, you have to realize, there was more to it than that. First, he brings up this girl that is CLEARLY under the height limit by several inches. Then when I ask him if he's doing a parent swap, he stares at me blankly, so I told him she was too short too ride. He stares at me blankly some more, so I lead her to the height scale. He proceeds to PICK HER UP so her head touches the bar. My turn to stare blankly at him and say "her feet have to be flat on the floor." When the bar was several inches above her head he just calmly shrugs and says "it's ok, I'm riding with her." Pause. Continued stare. "She has to be 48" to ride." That was when he then proceeded to ask if we had "a booster seat or something so she can ride."

It took everything I had not to tell him to get the hell off my ride.

• Like 13

What are husbands for if not to tell all of the wifie's stories wrong?

Another thread about a Vortex ride-op claiming that WindSeeker was being removed should go here. I've also been told other rides are being removed...that we can still ride today. Don't you know? Vortex and Magnum are sinking!! So's Tennessee Tornado - spread that around for me. We need some amusing rumors down this way.

• Like 8

^How about this one then...

The real reason they took out the water in Blazing Fury's splashdown was because someone fell out and nearly drowned, but was saved when the fireman finally made it all the way down the pole in the station and pulled them to safety!

(You asked for a rumor, you got one...)

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

• Like 6

...he brings up this girl that is CLEARLY under the height limit by several inches..... "She has to be 48" to ride." That was when he then proceeded to ask if we had "a booster seat or something so she can ride."

I wonder if this guy usually goes to Lagoon in Utah. They give booster seats to 46" riders on Wicked.
  • Like 2

Judging by the accent and other factors, he was probably a local. There was some giveaway where local residents were able to get free tickets for that day by visiting one of the other area attractions a few months prior and picking up a wristband. He and the kid were both wearing said wristbands and I'm betting it was their first time ever to an amusement park.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the accent and other factors, he was probably a local. There was some giveaway where local residents were able to get free tickets for that day by visiting one of the other area attractions a few months prior and picking up a wristband. He and the kid were both wearing said wristbands and I'm betting it was their first time ever to an amusement park.

Just wait until Sevier County Week when all the locals get in for $5 that entire week. We can make up some new material for this thread while receiving a million new posts for the guests say the darndest things thread.

XGatorHead - That was an awesome new rumor to start, but not possible. Jerome is far too lazy to come all the way down the pole unless there's food involved. He wouldn't even come down to put on his Christmas pants. We had to go up to get him dressed. Yet after all these years, he makes more money. Sheesh. That's why we put a lump of coal in his stocking!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, as I posted a wavepool ago, this is how I came to KIC. A few years ago I was marathoning on The Beast on ERT in the fall, in the last ride that I rode, a ride op asked me a question. " Are you (With my recollection he said this, but how can I look like him? I have no clue ladies and gents) Beastfan11 on KICentral?" I asked what and he repeated such, I said no, but this brung me to KIC to look, then came to a few years later. That ladies and gents, is the most ridiculous thing a ride op told me.

A special note to you, thanks for showing me such a site. It has helped me in many ways and it really has been a pleasure posting and sharing things on this great site with you all.

• Like 7