The Most Ridiculous Thing a Ride Operator has told you.

Original

• 2 weeks later...

At Geauga Lake in 04 a there was nobody in line for dominator(not a soul) and the ride op told me to walk back around cause it was CF's policy of no re-rides. They then held the train in the station since no one was there and I walked all the way around when I got on I was the only one on the train.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Time: 2005

Place: Tomb Raider: The Ride

It had been raining all day at the park and TRTR's line was really long with people trying to get on a ride that was not closed. When they got to the Pre-show and "famous last words" were said, the associate made the following announcement, "ladies and gentleman, please follow your rows as you enter the ride area, and if you happen to know a song title with the word 'rain' in it please tell us we are in a rain war with Flight of Fear, we currently have 25. Thank you and enjoy your ride."

I would love to do park history trivia on Delerium. I don't think it would be as easy as it is on Zephyr though, which is where I've had that happen before.

They also did Tomb Raider Trivia every so often and gave out park prizes.

• Like 8

How do you move a wooden coaster to another park and if you look at old videos you can see them building it

^ This isn't google!

Not seeing how that is relevant to the topic.

On topic:

I heard a ride op on Cedar Downs that I had to have my feet on the very top foot placement thing (can't think of the name) in order to ride. I said that wouldn't provide a comfortable ride as, I'm a bit tall and my knees would be in my face, as I showed her the example. She then told me that it'd be okay to put them on the middle one. lol.

• Like 5

The re-ride policy at Dollywood provides a perfect opportunity for someone to make up reasons for the policy. I've heard several on my crew tell guests they had to go around because we have a tin roof. The Blazing Fury version is cracks in the ceiling.

Flyer, who HATES enforcing this policy!

The Wild Eagle employees say that "manufacturers recommendations" is why they don't allow people to reride.

My response is, "That's a lie."

Biggest load of horse manure I have ever heard!

• Like 10

How do you move a wooden coaster to another park and if you look at old videos you can see them building it

^ This isn't google!

Not seeing how that is relevant to the topic.

On topic:

I heard a ride op on Cedar Downs that I had to have my feet on the very top foot placement thing (can't think of the name) in order to ride. I said that wouldn't provide a comfortable ride as, I'm a bit tall and my knees would be in my face, as I showed her the example. She then told me that it'd be okay to put them on the middle one. lol.

???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In line for flight deck

"Enjoy your ride on flight deck. The worlds tallest and longest, Flight Deck."

That's what I heard just a few days ago!

In Flight Deck "Have a great ride on KI's only jet coaster, Top Gun"

I simply thought "Yes!!"

Can we go to Fightertown again?

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I ride op told me in 2006, that the new coaster at Cedar Point was going to go backwards. Thank God Maverick doesn't do that.

I have had the (dis)pleasure of a rollback on Maverick. She doesn't usually go backwards but on rare occasions, it happens. It was on the launch hill where we had a failure to launch, came to a stop, rolled back most of the way, just enough to hit the drive wheels. The LSM's were still acting as brakes as the wheels struggled to pull us back. Not fun, and time-consuming. Sigh. Nowhere near as awesome as a TTD rollback.

On closing day, I had a Maverick spieler give us the specs of Top Thrill Dragster. Passing by him, I exclaimed my excitement for Top Thrill Maverick, which he repeated back at me. I thought it was funny...

• Like 4

Ohh... CoasterMania ERT, '12 or '13. A TTD ride op kept referring to the ride as Jr. Gemini. Soon after, he started referring to it as Woodstock Express. My response? "Woodstock Express sucks! Bring back Jr. Gemini."

Sorry, I don't have any from KI yet..

• Like 2

Back when it was called 'Flight Deck', I heard "Enjoy your ride on the the Flight Deck, the tallest, fastest, longest roller coaster with the most inversions and is the ultimate roller coaster ever built in history." No joke, I really heard this!

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind a random TRUE fact being thrown into a spiel. Or an honest interaction with a guest during a spiel. But I don't ride rides to hear the spieler I do it to have fun on a ride.

I have said it a million times, the best spieler I had was from TTD who interacted with guests, did the safety thing, and was genuine.

Imagine a Bat spiller saying something like:

Enjoy Bat, please keep your arms, legs, and all other body parts in the ride at all times. On your way up our (height) incline look out and you can see our greenhouse where KI grows all our plants. Enjoy your ride... Or soar over our former Lion Country safari... Etc

• Like 7

And if that isn't a reason for automated spiels...

People go to parks to enjoy the rides, attractions, each others' company, the games, shows and food. Not to put up with adolescents with microphones entertaining themselves.

It gets old. Real old.

That said, Auto-spiels get really old really fast, too. While at SFGAm, I got very, VERY sick of the wannabe Mr. T giving the auto-spiel for X-Flight. I'd be all for an auto-spiel in a normal human voice. Theme the rides, that's fine, encouraged even. But don't theme the auto-spiel. The results are usually nothing short of irritating.

Alright,stunt team, listen up...

• Like 6

Oh Bat operators, what will we do?

"Can somebody go get me carry-out from KFC?

Make is snappy."

A. Encourage guests to leave the park for food.

B. Remind guests that outside food is more desirable than park food.

C. Encourage guests to smuggle outside food into the park.

D. What amounts to demanding begging from a FUN employee.

I'll give Dick Kinzel his due. Had he heard that, he'd have pulled the kid aside, told him, "Tell you what, you like KFC so much, go work there." And then "helped" him with his career development. Elsewhere.

• Like 4