KI 8/20/12 TR

jdawg1998

Today was my last day at Kings Island for the summer season, the day before I go to school tomorrow. I thought, "well, the past couple of years there was NOBODY here, so I'll get in a lot of rides today!"

Seriously, what happened to Kings Island this year?

I got there at 10 and rode Diamondback with a 5 minute wait, but as the day went on, it got packed.

45 minutes for Flight of Fear, Firehawk, and Beast. Backlot Stunt Coaster's line extended to the queue in the back. Even Shake Rattle & Roll had an almost full line. I just don't understand the crowds this year...a Monday in late August last year would be a great time to visit.

I was with my friend, Cooper but we were going to meet up with CoasterGeek101 but technical difficulties with his phone made it really hard to...anyways, we rode Vortex, Dodgems, and Viking Fury, along with Diamondback earlier in the day. 4 rides - and we stayed until 1:00.

We even went in line for Flight Deck but it wasn't even close to a station wait like usual. The only ride with a short line was Diamondback, which I find it hard to understand.

It was a fun day I guess you could say, because everyday at Kings Island is fun, but it was really crowded. I'm really mad I didn't get to ride Firehawk! :angry:

• Like 1

With the Beach Waterpark being closed this season, I'm sure that is one of the factors of the bigger crowds this year, and also with the cooler weather as of the last few days, not as many people are in the water park? Or maybe everyone had the same idea you had. :)

• Like 2

With the Beach Waterpark being closed this season, I'm sure that is one of the factors of the bigger crowds this year, and also with the cooler weather as of the last few days, not as many people are in the water park? Or maybe everyone had the same idea you had. :)

The Beach was a waterpark, not a dry park. Could someone help me understand how this affects dry park attendance? If not, I'll ask nicely. Please? :)

The Beach was a waterpark, not a dry park. Could someone help me understand how this affects dry park attendance? If not, I'll ask nicely. Please? :)

Sure. The Beach was a relatively uncrowded waterpark...unlike, say, Soak City. Its patrons may well decide to spend their leisure time at Kings Island, the local pool or the zoo, but not in the crowded Soak City. If that's where they wanted to be, they already would have been at the old Boomerang Bay, and not at The Beach.

Pretty simple, really.

Still, most of the KI attendance increase is probably due to the improved economy and other factors rather than The Beach closure. Remember that a KI pass preference was offered to The Beach season passholders.

• Like 1

We even went in line for Flight Deck but it wasn't even close to a station wait like usual.

I stopped at the park for a little while today, and saw the Flight Deck line out past the candy vending machine. I have not seen such a line on that ride since it was new.

In addition to Diamondback, The Racer and Woodstock Express didn't have the really big lines.

Oh, and I noticed on the way out that the scrolling sign out front said the hours were until 8pm, with Soak City until 6pm, and fireworks at 10pm. :blink:

I was at the park Sunday and found the lines about average. While Vortex seemed long, the queues in the station weren't being used, making the line seem longer than it was. I did see Drop Tower going through every single queue earlier in the day, but eventually it went down to its usual 2. Seems weird as the park has been much more crowded this year than it has seemed in previous years. I wonder what a Saturday at Haunt will be like, one can only imagine.

• Like 1